Search results

1. JeffH

Pictures from the US Airforce Museum near Dayton, OH

Parking and Admission are free, but they take donations. I could spend days in there.
  2. JeffH

Good news only

Just thought I'd start a thread where people can post good news stories... You know the kind... "Feel Good" news. http://www.fairplayinternational.org/honesty-of-the-long-distance-runner
  3. JeffH

Please help with MTL conversion

I have a Kato SD-70ACe anmd I want to put a MTL medium or long shank coupler on it. They make a product (2004-1, or 001-02-052) that is a pair of assembled drop-in short shank conversions. I'm looking for teh exact same thing, but with either a medium or a long shank. For the life of me, I...
  4. JeffH

Baffling DCC / decoder issue

Quick question as I'm still a newbie regarding decoder installations and programming. I have a DCC ready Atlas N MP-15 and have a drop-in NCE decoder I have installed. When I put it on the track, F1 F0 will turn on and off the headlight, but I get an error, something like "no decoder" by NCE...
  5. JeffH

Went to as local haunted house over the weekend

We live out, away from the urban areas, about 20 or so miles outside of Columbus, Ohio. Our house is about 3 miles away from "The Haunted Hoochie" which has been a haunted attraction for probably around 30-some years. It gets better every year, and we go through it once every few years...
  6. JeffH

Rant: Why no currently produced N scale crane cars?

I have been looking for a long time. Every one of the existing crane cars that I find have the old Rapido style couplers. And the trucks are 3-axle. I have found several manufacturers like Con Cor, Bachmann and Minitrix, but they all have Rapido couplers. MTL doesn't make a direct truck...
  7. JeffH

Let's talk computer interfaces

I'm beginning to plan ahead for my winter projects, and near the top is getting into JMRI and/or something like ESU's LokProgrammer. I have 2 DCC systems. Either can interface with a computer with a $50-$60 USB interface device. I have a NCE Power Cab and also have a MRC Prodigy Advance Sq...
  8. JeffH

Automatic E-Bell

I recently bought a new Atlas N scale Dash 8-40C. Everything works great, except I hate the Automatic E-Bell. I don't want the bell to start ringing just because I toot the horn. I realize it's prototypical, but I don't like it and I want it to stop. Does anyone know how to disable the...
  9. JeffH

Paint Matching for a road name

Hi everybody! I'm about to embark on an odyssey and could use advice. I am modeling Ohio Central in N scale. As far as I can tell, there has only been two N scale locomotives actually produced in Ohio Central's maroon, yellow and gray paint scheme. One an F7 and another a C420. I was...
  10. JeffH

need ideas for scratch building a wharf

I'm beginning to plan for this Winter's buildout of my river scene. I'm going to scratch build a wharf that is about the length of a football field, and 60 feet wide. This will be N scale, so actual dimensions will be 4.5" x 21." There will be 2 structures on the wharf, in addition to some...
  11. JeffH

Help me understand this wiring array

I recently acquired a couple lots of train stuff at an auction, and I'm trying to figure out what the prior owner was controlling with these fairly large DS64's. Each DS64 can control up to four turnouts. And since there are Two wires coming from each output terminal, I'm going to assume that...
  12. JeffH

I won a couple lots in a local online auction

I came across an online auction that had some N scale model railroad lots. I bought these 2 lots. I think I did pretty good. Lots of Kato track and DCC electronics, some rolling stock, and a lot of structures. Here are all the pics. I pick up the lots Saturday morning...
  13. JeffH

Show us your pets!

Show us your pets! This is Oliver. He's a big ole tub-o-kitty. He Loves to cuddle with warm clean towels, even though he barely fits in teh laundry basket. He loves to travel And always keeps a watchful eye over his domain. He is a lilac point Siamese, which is a lot like a blue...
  14. JeffH

Boiler load for N gauge flat car

I've been wanting to make some unique loads for a few flat cars I have. I have a bunch of small brass parts from a large lot I bought from an estate sale about a year ago. Some CA glue and some imagination, and I have a pretty unique load made up of a boiler and set of manifolds.
  15. JeffH

Ohio Valley - somewhere between Weirton and Wheeling

Both sides of my family have deep roots in the panhandle of WV, and I have very fond memories of watching train and barge traffic along the Ohio River. If you're familiar with the area, this is my fictitious area similar to Mingo Junction. It turns out the the Ohio Central (now part of...
  16. JeffH

I bought an old collection yesterday

I have been looking for unusual N gage items, and came across a local Craigslist ad that had a lot of older N gage items, but aslos included a lot more HO stuff. I bought the whole lot just for the N gage items, but now that I've looked at teh HO stuff, I'm amazed at what he had, and teh...
  17. JeffH

N Scale show in Central Ohio this coming weekend

Anyone here planning to attend a show at the Franklin County Fairgrounds (Columbus, Ohio) this coming weekend? I'll be there Saturday, looking for stuff. Sometimes you don't know what you need until you see it, LOL!
  18. JeffH

Greetings from Central Ohio!

Hello everyone! Like many people, I found myself digging out the old train set this past winter since we were all cooped up. Back in 1994, my wife got me a pretty nice locomotive ands some rolling Stock from a LHS called The Train Station in Columbus, OH. She also got a lot of Bachman...
  19. JeffH

small Kato Unitrack layout idea

Here is my attempt at an N scale layout that will be rural mountains and a river going into a reservoir. I'm not planning to have any buildings at this time. It took me a while to learn how to use Anyrail software, but here it is. Please critique. Is this too complex for the size of the...
  20. JeffH

Newbie seeking recommendations for N scale locomotive

Good day! I’m a new member from Ohio. I've been doing a lot of reading here, and really appreciate all the tips and techniques, especially as they relate to scenery. I have some old (mid 90's) locomotives and rolling stock that my wife bought me when our kids were young to setup a ring around...

Back