Automatic E-Bell

JeffH

I recently bought a new Atlas N scale Dash 8-40C.

Everything works great, except I hate the Automatic E-Bell.

I don't want the bell to start ringing just because I toot the horn. I realize it's prototypical, but I don't like it and I want it to stop.

Does anyone know how to disable the "automatic" part? I was hoping it would be a simple CV setting, but it appears more complicated than that.

It's part of the sound file package. You can load a different late FDL sound file project into the decoder, without the auto bell. Just make sure the file os for the later models, with the modern clutch air compressor.

Thanks for that! I assume that I need some type of computer interface to do that, correct?

I am considering 3 options. I have both an NCE Power Cab and an MRC Prodigy Advance Sq. I believe I can use JMRI with either of those if I buy a USB interface. Either of those options would cost roughly $60.

I am also considering the ESU Lokprogrammer. But I believe that is only helpful for ESU decoders.

Too many options, without much info available to compare the three.

OK, so my question about the best option of the three I have still stands. But, I have stumbled across something while looking through all the ESU sound files.

It seems that almost all ESU sound files for the later GE FDL16 engines have the automatic bell feature. At also seems as though the procedure to turn off the automatic bell is a 2 step process. And all the sound files that include the automatic bell have the same 2-step process to turn it on or off.

So I will attempt that this evening and report back.

It worked! There is nothing in any Atlas manual, nor is there a solution in the ESU decoder manual.

I had to read the description of the ESU sound file to figure out how to disable the Automatic Bell.

Google searches were no help.

I literally found this solution by sheer luck.

It's a 2-step process:

Step 1
Set CV 31=16
Set CV 32= 8
Set CV 311 = 4

Step 2
Set CV 31 = 16
Set CV 32 = 1
Set CV 287 = 0

That worked.

As far as I can tell, the above works to turn off the auto bell for all ESU FDL16 sound files. Every FDL16 sound file I came across on ESU's web site has the auto bell. And they all have the same 2-step process to disable it.

Thanks! I was happy to be able to turn it off. I really like some other features of the sound file, especially the brake squeal and the air let-off when stopping. I didn't want to lose those sounds by loading a different sound file.

I do believe that either JMRI, or LokProgrammer (or both) are in my future. I like the idea of JMRI, and would like to eventually have a computer control turnouts. I have all the hardware I need to do that except for the USB interface. The turnouts are even wired to a central control panel with a CDU controlling the electrical impulse, so making use of DS-64s should be fairly simple.

I'm going to make a new thread to discuss the pros and cons of either system. I want to settle on one of the 2 DCC systems I have.

Thanks for that! I assume that I need some type of computer interface to do that, correct?

I am considering 3 options. I have both an NCE Power Cab and an MRC Prodigy Advance Sq. I believe I can use JMRI with either of those if I buy a USB interface. Either of those options would cost roughly $60.

I am also considering the ESU Lokprogrammer. But I believe that is only helpful for ESU decoders.

Too many options, without much info available to compare the three.
HI I run on the NCE PowerCab, also. But, I broke down and bought the LokProgrammer. Their latest firmware update is a real improvement. I run ESU, NCE, TCS, Digitrax and a few old Atlas/Lenz decoders. Gradually changing over to sound. I like ESU, have not tried others. The LokProgrammer is really set up for ESU decoders, but it will handle others, just watch out for the really large CVs above 255 in non-ESU decoders. Also, remember to reset CV31 to 16 and CV32 to 1 before changing sounds. There are workarounds, too, for non-ESU decoders, check the internet for information. In the long run, I will be running things through JMRI, but first things first...

Last edited:

Back