Returning to model railroads after 40+ year hiatus

I used to be in HO and the old Lionel (3-rail not sure what gauge) trains when I was in high school.
I have gotten involved with Virtual Railfan and really got my love of trains back.
I am looking at getting into N scale for the size and limitations I have on where to set it up. The Amtrak N cars are really what I would like to get.
I am not familiar with modern day trains and could use a good beginners guide. What power transformer(s) to get. What is best to start with. Kato or some other company. How to operate two engines on the same layout.
Yeah, I am really coming at this with outdated knowledge but really would like to get back into model railroading.
Thanks for any help, links or suggestions!

Welcome back! I'm in the same boat as you, though I wasn't gone nearly as long. To specifically address your question regarding running multiple trains, a modern DCC system is the way to go. You'll get simplified wiring, realistic sound and light control all rolled up in one. A starter system like the Digitrax Zephyr (or others) would likely be your best bet.

https://www.digitrax.com/products/starter-sets/dcs52/

ZephyrExpress_website_image_jpg_350x900_q85.jpg

Welcome to the group!

As far as N scale modern Amtrak, Kato products are some of the best out there. They have very smooth running locomotives. Some N scalers consider them the benchmark.

They have a great selection of unitrack as well. If you’re looking to get up and running quick and want bulletproof track out of the box.

Welcome back to the hobby and the Forum, as already mentioned DCC control is the way to go, Digitrax is a good starter, easy to use and can run 4 locos simultaneously if you want, another is the NCE powercab which is very similar. I'm a Digitrax user myself, but I have heard good things about the NCE system, it really boils down to what you want to do and your budget.

Are you interested in running ops, switching or both ?

Welcome! I second that DCC is the easiest way to run two locos on the layout (plus other benefits). Digitrax is a huge name and very popular. I however use NCE, another big and popular brand. I'm sure plenty of help can be found here for either system!

Welcome, we are glad to have you with us!

I have this set, it's a beauty!

1714625503680.png

• Complete Ready To Run Amtrak Passenger Train Set
  • Powered by a DCC Equipped Amtrak Acela Locomotive
  • Includes; First Class Passenger Car; End Business Class Passenger Car, and Cafe Acela Car
  • 81” X 45” Oval of Nickel Silver E-Z Track, Power Pack and E-Z Command Controller
  • HO Scale 1:87
  • DCC-Equipped for Speed, Direction and Lighting
  • Die-Cast Gear Towers and Chassis, Precision Motor, Working Directional Headlights, Ditch Lights, Markers and Much More…..
  • Fine Scale Detailed Exterior and Interior
Run it with the DC controller included and you are off and running! Or add your choice of DCC system.

Free Shipping with Amazon.

Last edited:
Welcome, we are glad to have you with us!

I have this set, it's a beauty!

View attachment 186884

• Complete Ready To Run Amtrak Passenger Train Set
  • Powered by a DCC Equipped Amtrak Acela Locomotive
  • Includes; First Class Passenger Car; End Business Class Passenger Car, and Cafe Acela Car
  • 81” X 45” Oval of Nickel Silver E-Z Track, Power Pack and E-Z Command Controller
  • HO Scale 1:87
  • DCC-Equipped for Speed, Direction and Lighting
  • Die-Cast Gear Towers and Chassis, Precision Motor, Working Directional Headlights, Ditch Lights, Markers and Much More…..
  • Fine Scale Detailed Exterior and Interior
Run it with the DC controller included and you are off and running! Or add your choice of DCC system.

Free Shipping with Amazon.
Nice, but as usual one powered and one dummy, one day someone will put a motor in both.

Hi I have used NCE PowerCab since I restarted in N scale in late 2021. I run up to 6 trains simultaneously (you do have to pay attention...!). It works really well, and once you know the buttons, you can work it without looking (for most functions).

Welcome. Good to have you on board.

Putting together some of the pieces, I'll guess you are a passenger train fan who was still interested in passenger trains about the time of Amtrak's inception (1970)...and who was still interested when the first carset/trainsets and locomotives built specifically for Amtrak were rolled out in the late 70's. Those would be single deck intercity cars and trainsets used more east of the Mississippi and the double-deck Superliner sets seen out west.

As migalyto already said, KATO N scale Amtrak equipment should be to your liking, and I'd start there myself.

Attached photo shows a fair part of the Amtrak mess, with Superliner cars far left and single deck Amfleet plus smoothside cars.

The locomotives are EMD F40PH's which became a fleetwide standard, although originally intended mostly for the short-haul trains.

Any of that look familiar, or ring a bell?

Attachments

• Desert_Winds_meet_at_Lugo,_California,_February_1981.jpg
    Desert_Winds_meet_at_Lugo,_California,_February_1981.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, I am very impartial to Amtrak and would definitely get them as my first trains.

I am reading a bit on the DCC and DCS engines and a bit confused about them. Not sure what they mean for the control. Is there a circuit board or jumper switches in the engines that correspond to the codes or something else on the power controller? The only thing I have understood so far is that DCC is more complicated than DCS but have no idea why that is.

As for another question, I am interested in a moderate layout with some switches, a bypass set up and a small storage yard with a few switches. Nothing too complicate but more than just an oval.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, I am very impartial to Amtrak and would definitely get them as my first trains.

I am reading a bit on the DCC and DCS engines and a bit confused about them. Not sure what they mean for the control. Is there a circuit board or jumper switches in the engines that correspond to the codes or something else on the power controller? The only thing I have understood so far is that DCC is more complicated than DCS but have no idea why that is.

As for another question, I am interested in a moderate layout with some switches, a bypass set up and a small storage yard with a few switches. Nothing too complicate but more than just an oval.

Thanks again!
Here's a quick explanation of DCS

Digital Command System (DCS) is an electronic system developed by MTH Electric Trains and released in April 2002. DCS controls locomotives equipped with Protosound 2, Protosound 3, or Protosound 3E+ decoders. Protosound 3 locomotives are compatible with both DCS and DCC command systems.

DCC

DCC Locomotives are controlled by a small chip (decoder) inside the loco which has a unique address, this allows you to control multiple locomotives at the same time on the same track, The beauty of DCC is the decoders can be retrofitted to older locomotives (Athearn Blue Box etc.) These decoders allow you to operate the locomotive, and any features, lights etc. independently, also sound decoders allow you to control the locomotive, it's movement, Lights, Engine sounds, Bell and Horn etc.

Modern locomotives can be bought with a decoder already installed by the manufacturer or DCC ready which means the owner (you) can fit a decoder at a later date.

It's only a little more complicated than my explanation, but it gives you an idea.

Although this is old, you may want to look through this, the plans here can give you some idea of what's possible and it's free to download.

I'll make it a whole lot easier for you. Since you are interested in N-scale you can basically ignore DCS. DCS is a proprietary system used in O-gauge trains.

The Amtrak N cars are really what I would like to get.
Following up on what Snowman said, Are you interested in Amtrak as it was in the beginning with a mishmash of equipment from all the different railroads, or after Amtrak got its feet under it with its own equipment, or current Amtrak. Then are you interested in Amtrak in the west with the high level cars or in the east with the high speed Accella type trains?

Kato make sets for a few of those themes and you can't go wrong with the Kato brand. Here are a couple for a start.

https://midwestmodelrr.com/kat106-6285
https://tonystrains.com/product/kato-10-1789-n-scale-amtrak-superliner-ph-vi-6-unit-bookcase-set
https://fusionscalehobbies.com/products/kat1068001?variant=43980288524544&currency=USD

I am not familiar with modern day trains and could use a good beginners guide. What power transformer(s) to get. What is best to start with. Kato or some other company. How to operate two engines on the same layout.
DCC is the answer for easiest two trains on same layout.

This is a lot of information to chew through , but it has a ton of useful information for the new DCC user.

Very valuable info. As someone who has used DCC for many years, I still refer to some of the sections of this site.

Following up on what Snowman said, Are you interested in Amtrak as it was in the beginning with a mishmash of equipment from all the different railroads, or after Amtrak got its feet under it with its own equipment, or current Amtrak. Then are you interested in Amtrak in the west with the high level cars or in the east with the high speed Accella type trains?

Kato make sets for a few of those themes and you can't go wrong with the Kato brand. Here are a couple for a start.

https://midwestmodelrr.com/kat106-6285
https://tonystrains.com/product/kato-10-1789-n-scale-amtrak-superliner-ph-vi-6-unit-bookcase-set
https://fusionscalehobbies.com/products/kat1068001?variant=43980288524544&currency=USD

DCC is the answer for easiest two trains on same layout.
I am particularly interested in Amtrak trains. I like the freights, but I have really got back into riding Amtrak after 40 years (rode it quite a bit in high school back in the dark ages). I think Acela is interesting, but I live in the Carolinas, and Acela doesn't come this far south. The Crescent and Cardinal are the two main routes I have ridden along with the Carolinian, so I favor Viewliner types of cars along with the ALC-42 and P40 / P42 chargers / engines.

ReadyPlayerOne2024... Welcome back to the hobby. I too got back into the hobby 3 years ago after 40 or so years, and jumped into n scale as well. I'm nearly 77 but look forward to many more years in the hobby. I did a lot of reading, went to my local train store and picked their brains, started watching YouTube videos to learn as much as possible, went to a couple of train shows, bought AnyRail track planning software, and finally, after a few months, jumped in with my credit card. The hardest part was deciding how big of a layout I wanted, and deciding what parts of the hobby I enjoyed most. It turns out that planning and building the layout is every bit as rewarding (maybe more so) as operating it. Electronics, DCC and wiring are not my strong suits, but videos and lots of friendly help from my local NMRA chapter and vendors answered most of my most pressing questions. Not that I didn't go up a few blind alleys, but the secret is to learn from one's miscues and move on. From a practical standpoint, pay close attention to your trackwork - nothing better than reliably running trains on your layout for the first time, even if on bare plywood or foam.

Now, nearly 2.5 years later, my layout is about 90% complete. It is in n scale, all Kato Unitrack, DCC, ESU ECoS command station, around the walls in my UNheated, UNcooled, UNinsulated detached garage in Northern California. It takes up 2.5 of 4 garage walls, with room to park my Miata in the middle. Takes more effort keeping it clean as it is definitely not a dust-free environment, but worth every bit of effort.

The moral here, if there is one, is that we can accomplish (and learn) much more than we realize. My knowledge and skill set is nowhere near that of some of the other modelers I have met, but I feel very comfortable taking on new tasks and challenges in the hobby. I'm sure you will easily get to where I am and most likely well beyond. Model railroading IS fun!
-Ron

Back