Running Bear's January 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just in:

Customer Notice

We regret to inform you that MB Klein Inc. (Model Train Stuff) has now ceased trading.

Thank you for your custom and support over our incredible 111 years of continuous operation.

Our customer service agents are available for a limited period to assist with any final queries.
So is the book closed on Kleins, or is this still all part of the purchase plan/ restructuring?

Louis - I probably see Amazon, Fedex and UPS drivers more than most, since I am outside a lot and can see them coming for a distance. I always thank them and they're all pretty friendly except one particular UPS guy. I know that they are on a tight schedule so I don't linger and engage in any extended conversations, although sometimes they do on their own. I believe that they are allowed more leeway on the rural routes.
Willie, I'm not surprised. I would have expected no less from you.

Interesting finding. Based on what I have read, geothermal was supposed to be the panacea. Wind has been used for years, it is efficient, except in a calm or a storm. Solar, obviously has it's limitations. I'm surprised that your average is only 4-5 hours. I thought you would get more.
Geothermal is not really a source of energy in terms of power. It is a source of heat or a sink for heat. It takes energy to run the pumps and stuff and is why we are putting solar up. Our house will have it if the guy ever show up to drill -- his rig has been sitting here for almost 3 weeks.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day going to the dentist. I now have a 4-visit plan to fix my mouth. Luckily at this point no surgery is required, but there will be lots of pain. :( In the train room today I completed the diner and an outhouse. Tomorrow I'll work on the large sign and an outdoor phone setup which is on 2 poles. I also have a haircut appointment.

David- Nice picture. I think UK locos are even more box shaped than US ones are.

Willie- More great photos.

Joe- Sounds like a great acquisition for your library.

I hope everyone has a good night.

When you consider the cost of geothermal equipment (not too bad) and the drilling of the 4 wells for it, (extremely expensive in my part of Wisconsin) the efficiently of the actual product is diminished.

We have 4 Tesla Powerwalls+. From 0% storage to a 100% charge is about 6-8 hours. Without the Powerwalls and the energy it can store to be off grid would impossible for us. We do get internet service via fiber optic so technically we are only partially off grid. We have no connections to the electrical grid BUT the last house was a tougher sell being off grid then previous houses. For this one though we have an installed but unused electrical connection installed at the property line. Hooking that up to the house will cost less than $5,000. To bring in an electrical connection at the last house cost almost $15000.

This part is controversial and I have no personal experience but we have heard…

1 dedicated Powerwall for 2 EV’s. I’m not a fan (at this time) of buying a EV
Do you like the Powerwalls???

1 dedicated Powerwall for 2 EV’s. I’m not a fan (at this time) of buying a EV
LOL, I think EV's need a lot more development before they can be the panacea some count on them to be...That's a large power draw. Most residential Solar applications would not be adequate for that kind of power requirement. Not ready to make that kind of investment either. No now, at least.

This just in:

Customer Notice

We regret to inform you that MB Klein Inc. (Model Train Stuff) has now ceased trading.

Thank you for your custom and support over our incredible 111 years of continuous operation.

Our customer service agents are available for a limited period to assist with any final queries.
That didn't work out did it? ....Or...are they referring to the Cockeysville Operation? Do they (Hatton's Principals), know what they are doing?

Progress on a bulkhead flatcar lumber load.

These are the walthers 60' (48' IL). Nice cars. Does anyone know of prototype photos for them? I find it interesting that there is all the extra space on the ends.
1000012853.jpg

Started out the day going to the dentist. I now have a 4-visit plan to fix my mouth. Luckily at this point no surgery is required, but there will be lots of pain. :(
Thanks for the update, I was worried. I didn't want to ask, I thought you might not want to talk about it.

I'm sorry to hear of the pain, but I'm relieved to read you have a plan. Our thoughts are with you.

Do you like the Powerwalls???
Short answer yes.

This is the third house we have used them. The 1st set was in conjunction with the solar roof tiles Telsa was producing at the time.

They are expensive, the 10 to 15 year battery life still is a guess. They can only be serviced by Tesla technicians and there are not enough of them. The monitoring software is still too “techy” IMO but the latest upgrade is worlds better then 7-8 years ago.

The next house being planned will use them again

Short answer yes.

This is the third house we have used them. The 1st set was in conjunction with the solar roof tiles Telsa was producing at the time.

They are expensive, the 10 to 15 year battery life still is a guess. They can only be serviced by Tesla technicians and there are not enough of them. The monitoring software is still too “techy” IMO but the latest upgrade is worlds better then 7-8 years ago.

The next house being planned will use them again
I've finally found someone who moves house more than I do. The longest I had in one spot since college was 10 years.

Wife tells me the current is the retirement home, until we can do the stairs. And the stairs are one reason we got this place. We want the exercise of using them. Since our main floor toilet is inside the wife's office, I have to go up two floors from the writing cave to use the other toilet. That helps with my step count. Yes, I pee a lot. ;)

well, howdy there internet peeps.

It's troy again

Up and at 'em early. I wonder if Atom Ant gets At-em this early?

Wife has developed a stiff neck. Sounds like, according to dr. Google, a bulging disk. Yep, she sits in her rocking chair, staring down at her ipad instead of holding it aloft. I keep trying to get her to put a thick couch pillow on her lap, but she'd rather get a krick in her neck.

Now she has. Fortunately, we've got a long, candy-cane shaped whole body pillow. We know from experience it's the only way she can sleep with her head stabile and at the correct angle for that to heal up.

Looks like its a snow melt day. And a drive fast backwards day...
Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 4.30.08 AM.png

at least it looks like that's what WeatherBug is telling me to do...

Playing around with another idea for a character for the upcoming RPG (almost D&D for those who don't roll polyhedral dice often)

This guy reminds me of someone... can't quite put my finger on who... ;)
GnayRin2.jpg

Today looks like a play with the online store website format day...

And I'm supposed to make Nachos for dinner. So that'll be a trip to the grocery. I hope weatherbug changes their forcast. I prefer to drive forwards. ;)

Good Morning All!

36F @ 89% and partly. Made it to 39F yesterday, not the stated 43F. Oh Well

UPS/FedX/USPS. We *usually* see them coming up the driveway. I go out on the porch and take the package(s) from them and thank them. One of the FedX drivers has become friends as has been over to dinner with his wife. Have taken one of those small gatoraid's out when it is hot and BOY that does the trick. Nobody seems to forget where our house is! I did that in JaxPort when hot, those container lifter drivers would sit up their and sweat even though the big things had AC. Many moons ago, Ice cold beer in a Koosie sitting on top of the 'extra' garbage can for the driver also works. I would get the Koosie back the pickup the next week. Ya, I had two.

Willie: Never reply 'Stop' as you are proving that you are real and read your texts. The spammers are not targeting you specifically, just your phone number, they broadcast to many numbers to fish. Verizon has a 'report spammer' selection if you hold down on the text ( or phone number when called ) to bring that menu up. That seems to work pretty good as I used to get a ton of texts for the previous owner of my # who had it almost 12 years ago. Spam calls and texts have almost become non-existent.

VA: If ya don't remember I started a claim for my hearing loss and Tinnits - what, over a year ago. VA denied it as they could not see any apprecable loss. Hmmmm, can they read? Anyway, my guy appealed it 4 months ago. Got a letter yesterday stating that they f.k'd up and did not read the Federal record. What? What else do you have. Anyway looks like more tests will probably be required. Time will tell.

Later

Willie: Never reply 'Stop' as you are proving that you are real and read your texts. The spammers are not targeting you specifically, just your phone number, they broadcast to many numbers to fish.
These are not spammers, they are specifically targeting "Tina", the previous owner of my phone number, who had donated to the Democratic party in the past. She donated in 2008 and 2012. She gave up the number in 2014 and I received it in 2019. I only got a few solicitations in 2020, so they are obviously more desperate this cycle. They have actually been tapering off in the last couple of days, from 2-3/day to 1 every 2-3 days now. Since they are texts, I don't get bothered since I have audible text notification turned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back