Recent content by john_apw

1. J

Picking a wiring system: How high is up?$$$

Go for it! D3: Here are a few thoughts... 1. Buy the DCC now; it will never be cheaper. Yes, it's a chunk of $ up front, but you'll stop fretting about when is the right time to make the decision. Also, it will keep you from gradually extending your DC efforts until you won't be able to...
  2. J

Remote Snap Switch From Atlas

If you're asking about installing these turnouts into the layout, there's no special wiring required to use them with DCC. Because the frogs are insulated, you don't need to gap beyond the frog (the way you do with electrified frogs). -John
  3. J

Switching DCC Systems

Here's another excellent article by Don Fiehmann, posted on Tony's Train Town website: http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/consisting-guide.htm It provides a thorough explanation of three consisting modes: Basic - multiple decoders are set to the same address and are run together. Only...
  4. J

Preferred DCC Systems

You asked us to explain our vote... When I first got started with DCC, I used an MRC Command 2000. It gave me a basis for understanding. Then I saw the N-scale convention in Edison, NJ about 8 (10?) years ago, where clubs came together from all around the country, set up, hooked up with...
  5. J

Headlamp wiring

Re-using N-scale Atlas RS1 lightboards in a Con-Cor PA Sorry for the delay... OK, first for the general LED wiring info: While there are some other postings around the internet, the one I found most helpful is an article written by Don Fiehmann that's posted on Tony's Train Exchange...
  6. J

favorite manufacturer?

Don't lump Bachman's new N-scale runs with their old Bachman no longer deserves the bad rap they got from all the junk N-scale locos they produced in the 1970s and 80s. Their 2-8-0 is one of the best steamers made by anyone, and now you can get them with a simple decoder already installed...
  7. J

Want to trade?

I'll have to check my "to sell" box. I might have 42' and 50'. Would you have a preference? I'm presuming that road name doesn't matter - you'll probably repaint for your needs... What about couplers? Send me a private mesage with answers to the above questions, and with the description of the...
  8. J

Headlamp wiring

never mind, I found the answer. -John
  9. J

Wiring a turntable for DCC

I had originally thought to save some money and set up my own, but then I caught a sale. For a lot less than MSRP, I installed the N-Scale version of this in about 25 minutes, and had it programmed and operational in another 15. I consider it worth every penny in time and effort saved, and...
  10. J

Headlamp wiring

I've installed about 200 decoders into N-scale locos for me and the group I operate with, so I'm well-versed with with tools, techniques, etc. The one thing that has escaped me, however, is headlamps. As I've installed numerous TCS CN-series decoders into a bunch of Atlas RS-1's, I now have...
  11. J

On the search for coalporters....

Ken, I have 5 undec "Johnstown Coalporters" that were issued by "E&C Shops". They are unassembled so that you can put them right into the paint shop. They come with Micro-Trains trucks, a plastic load, a sprue of details, and weights. I bought them before I had decided on what era I was...
  12. J

Andrew Jackson

I once bought a cheap train set that the mfgr said had the "Jupiter", but it ran poorly on DC, so I never bothered to even think about converting it to DCC. Did I mention I'm into N-scale? This is one tiny tike! I doubt there would be room for a plain decoder, let alone a sound decoder and...
  13. J

Andrew Jackson

I haven't found any photos or other info on the train, but based on the date, I'd guess it was something like a wood-burning 4-4-0... ????? -John
  14. J

Andrew Jackson

From this page for the B&O Railraod Historical Society: http://www.borhs.org/ is a B&O timeline: http://www.geocities.com/scott_w_dunlap/BORRTIME.htm with this entry: "1833 06 06 Andrew Jackson rides the B&O and becomes first American president to ride a railroad." I checked...
  15. J

Andrew Jackson

Source: http://www.kipnotes.com/Andrew%20Jackson.htm "June 6, 1833 - In Ellicott's Mills, Maryland, President Andrew Jackson boards a Baltimore & Ohio Railroad train for a pleasure trip to Baltimore; first president to take a ride on the "Iron Horse," as locomotives were known." I suggest...

Back