Preferred DCC Systems

Which DCC Systems do you prefer for use in the club and at home? Why?

• MRC

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • Digitrax

Votes: 43 39.1%
  • Lenz

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • NCE

Votes: 38 34.5%
  • Other

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters

MudbugnTX

I would like your opinions on which DCC Systems you like for expandability. Which systems do you prefer for booster expansion and multiple cabs? Also, which do you prefer for possible computer control via PC or Laptop?

I am posting a poll just to show a quick look at the most popular but please reply with your answers. My main reason for doing this is because we are in the preliminary stages of setting up a DCC rail for our club. I would like our club to setup a system that is expandable and could actually be used on personal layouts. If you choose Other please tell me which system.

I currently have an MRC Prodigy but I am not impressed with the proprietary software to run it on a pc or laptop. JMRI is definitely the way to go.

Choice? because the price was right and Joe Fugate claimed it was a better unit than the MRC Prodigy Express. Haven't used it yet so I'll not make any reviews on it until I do.

Cheers
Willis

You asked us to explain our vote...

When I first got started with DCC, I used an MRC Command 2000. It gave me a basis for understanding.

Then I saw the N-scale convention in Edison, NJ about 8 (10?) years ago, where clubs came together from all around the country, set up, hooked up with Digitrax, and ran about 700 modules. I don't know who would have the details, but I'm sure someone has a report and statistics on the event.

I observed very few problems, and I talked with dozens of people...

Seeing that, I selected Digitrax. I have used it at home since then, and at three other operating groups and a club. I am absolutely happy with Digitrax.

I find it straightforward, capable, and reliable. It does require reading and learning, but what doesn't? You don't just set up something as complex as a computer network with no knowledge or forthought.

-John

Last edited by a moderator:
I chose Digitrax because that was what the majority of the modelers use here. Although I do have experience with other systems, I personally believe that its the best for me. Also choosing a system that most modelers in the area uses, provides you with help that can be much better than any manual or tech support could be.

It has gotten to the point where the only difference between the systems, esp. the higher end systems, is only in the "bells and whistles", that each system offers.

I believe that there was a thread along these same lines a while back, and while so far in this poll, NCE is in the lead, last time it was Digitrax.

As long as the system you choose satisfies your needs, that's all that counts.

MRC/NCE for simplicity at home. (MRC is what I use at home)

NCE for small clubs again for simplicity

Digitrax for large clubs because it can do it all but you will need a computer geek to understand how it all works!!!!

Although I use Digitrax decoders and Digitrax products,I have used NCE and TCS decoders,but I primarily use Digitrax,and haven't any reason to change. To put it simply,in imho,it just simply works well for me,and that's good enough. William.

I use Digitrax because the club uses it. I get digitrax decoders because they're less expensive than NCE decoders. I don't need or use BEMF because I like to consist locos. I rarely if ever, run a train with one loco. With BEMF, the locos would fight each other.

I've never used TCS decoders, but I've heard that the quality control on them is shoddy. I still would like to try them though. The hobby shops near me don't sell TCS decoders. Ordering one and paying shipping on them would defeat the purpose.

With NCE decoders, I don't know whether I got a lemon or whether they're all like that, but the NCE decoder that I have doesn't like to retain it's programming. I have an NCE decoder in a Dash 8-40CW and every time I reset it and reprogrammed the ditch lights, I get a different result (I have a set of instruction on how to program them and I do the same thing every time so it's not me, it's the decoder). Right now I have gotten it to come on with the headlight (it's hard coded into the headlight so I can't turn it on or off independantly) and flashes when I blow the horn. However, when I reverse direction, I can't turn the ditch lights off!

I'm ready to chuck it.

Digitrax decoders I have no problems with except for the fact that the decoders are stuck in the stone age. No BEMF in the basic decoders (not that I need it), and no LED compensation for the lighting outputs so I can't get the ditch lights to strobe with LEDs because it's hard coded into the decoder to adjust the brightness while strobing instead of an alternating on-off.

But, if the decoders conform to, or are at least close to NMRA standard, all brands will work on all DCC systems.

Since my LHS only stocks digitrax it was a natural choice but I have been very happy with it so far. Very easy to learn and use and I have had no issues with it yet.

My "LHS" (the only one that is actually local) is an O and G scale manufacturer's retail store that sells stuff in N, HO, S, O, and G scales. (They used to make O scale items under the name Charles RO, which is the name of the store, and they make G scale locos under the name USA Trains)

They only stock MRC for DCC supplies and systems. I go there for new releases though. They order everything and anything and they also get a manufacturer's discount through Walthers so they pass on the discount to the customers. The stuff flies off the shelf on the day that the items arrive though so it can be hard to get a specific item.

They do have an extensive cellar where they keep odds and ends. They dig through it from time to time and put it on the 20% off sale rack. I found an Athearn RTR Conrail SD40-2 there once and got it for $77.98 :D

My other "LHS" is 50 miles away and stocks a variety of things including DCC decoders, but is geared towards Digitrax. They do sell other brands like NCE as well, but not so much. As for rolling stock, he tends to bring in whatever is on sale at Walthers since the sale items are what's bringing him his higher turnover.

I use digitrax and Im happy with it. Digitrax seem more userfull for big club IMO. Because my club use NCE, when doing op session, nce cab bus get overcrowded when aproaching 100 loco and start to lag, making the experience less pleasurable.

I chose Digitrax because it is the most popular in my area and it is expandable.
I had the following want list from a DCC system:
Wireless control
Able to connect to a computer
Signaling
Expandability
It is also what is used on two of the layouts i go to opp sessions on so I can bring my own throttle.
My LHS stocks Digitrax so if need something quick I can just drive down and get it.

NCE does not purge unused addresses. If you don't clear out unused addresses, the cab bus will eventually start to lag. When it starts to lag, just reboot the command station.

We have a large club and no problem with NCE. Most modelers in my area use NCE so the principle holds up.

With Digitrax, it purges when you shut it off, but you can do it without shutting it off as well. Also, Since Digitrax has a set limit of how many addresses it can handle at once, you don't have to worry about lag.

Although I must admit that the NCE vs Digitrax is like a Mac vs Windows thing. I wouldn't mind using either one.

I chose NCE over Digitrax. NCE was very intuitive to me and its easy to use. The manual was only about 50 small pages. Digitrax's Zephyr command system looks like it dropped from Skylab and seemed confusing.

I have over 12 locomotives, mostly with NCE and Soundtraxx decoders. I have ordered my first Digitrax decoder, a SDH164D, and look forward to installing it.

NCE is like Mac. Easy, needs no intelligence whatsoever to use, bug fixes are announced and implemented quickly.

Digitrax is like windows. Not the most user friendly interface in the world, but has more options and is more flexible once you learn how to use it.

NCE is like Mac. Easy, needs no intelligence whatsoever to use, bug fixes are announced and implemented quickly.

Digitrax is like windows. Not the most user friendly interface in the world, but has more options and is more flexible once you learn how to use it.

That's an interesting statement. What did you base it on?
If you go to Tony's website: http://www.tonystrains.com/productcompare/dcccomparison.htm

and look at the comparison (needs a little updating, both now have duplex radio, possible other minor differences) you'll see the two are pretty evenly matched, except for some stuff very few of us will care about. Who really wants to make up a 120 or "unlimited amount" loco consist, or use all 9,999 addresses? ;) and how many layouts will actually use 63 or 120 throttles? Very few is my guess. Both are also within 50 bucks of each other at MSRP, and who pays that anymore?

I think these choices depend lots on what your LHS supports, what is used in your area, what your buddies or your club uses, and what you learn on. (that's probably the big one)

When I bought into DCC I went with Digitrax, because it was very prevalent in my area, and because it was half the cost of NCE at the time. That gap has been closed. I later moved and joined a club that uses NCE. Since I no longer had a home layout I began using NCE. Their user interface is easier for those of us not so computer literate, and if you don't have a computer handy, I find NCE much easier to program from the handset.

Many of our club members still have and use Digitrax at home, and looking at them I have noticed that, generally, modelers who also like to fiddle with computers, and want a computer to be part of their railroad will gravitate to Digitrax. Guys who just want to run trains will end up with one of the other systems, NCE being most prevalent among them, with a little Lenz in the mix to keep it interesting. YMMV:)

Things may have changed with Digitrax since I used it last, but didn't unused addresses in the system automatically purge a set amount of minutes or seconds after being idle? (no commands sent to them) My command station used to give a series of beeps when this happened. You could also command this function if memory serves. With NCE, addresses will stay in the stack until deleted, so if the operators aren't disciplined enough to purge their address after they are done, the system will just keep them until you have who knows how many in there slowing things down, just like too many open applications will slow down your computer. Then you have to shut down the command station and re-start it. This does not happen very often at our club, as we are pretty strict about operating discipline, but it can.

For Brent: Houston is a big enough market that you should be able to try before you buy. That is what I recommend anyone starting out should do, after all, it doesn't really matter what we like. You and the other decision makers in your club should do a little hands on evaluation, then get what you like

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone for all the input. Do keep the comments and the votes coming. I run MRC at home but I do not recommend it for our club. It is easy to use and program but if you want to upgrade there just are not many options for it. If we ever expand to a computer controlled system I do not want to be stuck with MRC's proprietary software and controls.

Which is the one like Linux, stable, highly configurable, and dirt cheap? That's the one I want.

Back