Preferred DCC Systems

Which DCC Systems do you prefer for use in the club and at home? Why?

• MRC

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • Digitrax

Votes: 43 39.1%
  • Lenz

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • NCE

Votes: 38 34.5%
  • Other

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters
.... When the PR3 is acting as a standalone programmer, it does not use the DB150 at all, the programming goes through the PR3 and you DO have read back capability.

OK, I think we're getting there - Sorry for being dense!......

So, using the PR3 as a standalone programmer, connected to a 'puter running Decoderpro, I *can* do the famous "Read all sheets" and it'll read the decoder type and update it's database?

If so (and that's the way I read your comments!), it overcomes the "problem" with the DB150?

Cheers,
Ian

But I'm assuming that you cannot do normal layout control with JRMI when the PR3 is in standalone mode is that correct?

So you would have to go through the switching procedure you mentioned everytime you want to do some programming/readback with JRMI.

I bought my DB150 over 10 years ago and didn't really know what I was getting into at the time. Have wanted to look into JRMI but I need to rebuild my layout first ...

Thanks much for the info

So, using the PR3 as a standalone programmer, connected to a 'puter running Decoderpro, I *can* do the famous "Read all sheets" and it'll read the decoder type and update it's database?..

That is correct!

But I'm assuming that you cannot do normal layout control with JRMI when the PR3 is in standalone mode is that correct?

So you would have to go through the switching procedure you mentioned everytime you want to do some programming/readback with JRMI...

That is also correct!

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one have sold many TCS decoders to customers and have only had one defect. This was due to the customer shorting it out by the locomotive when the internal pickups came apart and caused the short.

You must be one of the lucky ones. (or maybe I was the unlucky one) I bought a dozen of them a few years back to replace some aging DH120's. Every damn one of them has since been replaced, due to erratic operation, losing its mind for no good reason, or totally crapping out. The first few were replaced by TCS, only to have a different failure later. Some have been replaced with comparable NCE decoders (back when NCE would swap out any blown decoder for 10 bucks) or the engines have had sound installed. The direct replacement ones were simply plugged into the existing wiring left over by the DH120's, and that wiring functions to this day with an NCE decoder, so I can't fault the wiring!
Ive even got 2 that I reinstalled the old DH120's into. They still didnt run right until I did a modification to the systems stop packet info, and now they run well.
Thats my story, and I'm stickin to it!:D

Well, I voted others as I have Roco Multimaus... its intuitive, very good design and best of all I like the center off knob controller

Nobody even mentions Bachmann Dynamis here, so I have the worst DCC system on earth capable of running trains, sorry for being soooo basic, again.

When I went to DCC a number of years ago I chose the Atlas Master system based mainly on pricing (less than half the price compared to some systems like the Digitrax ones). For my smallish donut-style home layout of 8'x14' it worked perfectly.

Anybody else use the Atlas system?

I talked to Frank who is a tech at MRC and here is what he said about the upgrade path for the Prodigy Express.

1) All the newer Prodigy Express systems come with the Advanced A2 software. MRC has instructions to check to see if you have the latest software. The only thing is that you will need an Advance Squared handheld to check the software version number of an Express. If you don't have the latest V3 software, you can send your Express system to MRC to upgrade the software. This is done for a small fee so be sure to contact MRC before sending in your Express system.

2) The Prodigy Express system power can be upgraded from 1.6 amps to 2.5 amps by purchasing the Advanced Squared power supply which is part #1504.

3) You get all the additional features of the Advanced Squared by purchasing the Advance Squared Handheld. You can still use the Prodigy Express Handheld as an extra throttle by purchasing either the #1501 extension plate or the #AD493 Y Harness.

Best regards,
Brian

Nothing I own is more than a few months old. I'm just getting back into the hobby. The first system I bought was the Digitrax Zephyr. It works well, but the learning curve was very steep, and there were a few other things about it I wasn't crazy about. After a recommendation from a different hobby shop, I bought an MRC Prodigy Advanced^2. It has other weaknesses, but addressed most of the complaints I had with the Zephyr.

I suspect I will eventually go back to the Digitrax, especially when I decide to go wireless, or if I have to expand the system with boosters. In the meantime, I'm going to use it for programming locos. I just bought the PR3 decoder programmer, and I'm going to use it on a programming track using JMRI's DecoderPro. Everything I can see about that makes me believe it is the best way to maximize the performance of a locomotive.

Bottom line: I'm an easy sell for guys in train shops who all know more about this stuff than I do.

Bachmann's EZ Commander

not sure I like it better, but I got it on eBay for 30 bucks. And that included an HO steam engine with decoder installed.
And I am starting in N scale. but for 30 bucks with a loco to test it on.

couldn't resist.

John

not sure I like it better, but I got it on eBay for 30 bucks. And that included an HO steam engine with decoder installed.
And I am starting in N scale. but for 30 bucks with a loco to test it on.

couldn't resist.

John

The Bachmann EZ Commander is about the most basic system on the market. But this isn't a bad thing. If you really are just starting out in DCC, this will give you the basic experience that everyone needs.

Not knowing how big, or sophisticated of a layout you'll eventually have, this may be the only system you'll ever need.

Back