Switching DCC Systems

hamltnblue

Hello All

After checking out a couple of local clubs I decided I'll be joining one. I noted that both clubs were running Digitrax so I decided to switch. I think it will take some time to properly pronounce the "D" word. I'll also be asking some questions during the learning curve. I've been running my NCE Phpro for just over a year and a half and the radio add just under a year and a half. Learning with NCE was as simple as hook it up, hit select loco and the number and off you went.

Today I picked up the Super Chief Xtra which includes the DT402D radio cab. After paging through the manual ans starting my first loco I see that the unit is not user friendly to new comers. Everything takes some thinking but it's learn able for sure. While the user interface seems a bit on the weak side there are some hardware capabilities that are definitely a plus. One that stands out is the loco net and the signaling capabilities. The ability of the throttle to control 2 loco's without switching back and forth looks like a good feature as well.

Consisting is a bit interesting. Digitrax says they have 3 modes while it's actually only 2 when compared to NCE. The default type is Universal which is what NCE calls the Old style. It is simply the command station sending commands to each of the loco's in the consist.

I haven't figured where advanced consist is in the menu's and think it doesn't exist. It may force you to enter everything manually. NCE defaults as advanced consist and changes the values in the loco's decoders with the push of a couple of buttons.

I figure it will take a few days to transition, then I'll be selling the NCE radio system.

Here's another excellent article by Don Fiehmann, posted on Tony's Train Town website: http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/consisting-guide.htm

It provides a thorough explanation of three consisting modes:

Basic - multiple decoders are set to the same address and are run together. Only involves the individual decoders, and uses the simple 2-digit address (CV1), or the simple 4-digit address (CVs 17 and 18).

Universal - the command station keeps track of different decoder addresses that it treats as one unit. Since the command station is keeping track of which decoders are in the consist, if you move the locos to another layout, the consist information will have to be given to the new layout's command station, because until you do, it has no information about those locos being treated as one unit. Commands other than speed and direction are only recognized by the lead loco.

Advanced (also called "DAC - Decoder Assisted Consisting") - uses a special CV in each of the individual decoders: CV19. Since this information is carried in each decoder, you can move the locos to another layout and by addressing the consist number, you acquire all the locos in the lashup. One limitation is that since it uses only one CV, an Advanced Consist can only use a 2-digit address. DAC also provides advanced lighting options.

Another good description of DAC can be found at:
http://www.loystoys.com/info/decoder-assisted-consisting.html
That's a sub-page of: http://www.loystoys.com/info/configuration-variables.html which describes most CVs...

With Digitrax:
You program a Basic consist just by programming the target locos to the same address and running them together.

You program a Universal consist by using the MU button. The manual gives the step-by-step process - it's all of about 3 things:
On the right knob, acquire the lead loco (or a "ghost" number)
On the left knob, acquire the next loco (or another consist), then press: MU +
Repeat this last step for each loco or consist being added.
Just be sure each loco is running in the desired direction before adding it to the consist.

You program an Advanced (DAC) consist by programming a 2-digit address into CV19.

Really, once you get accustomed to the way the Digitrax manual describes things and to the way they sprinkle screen-pictures in with the text steps, you'll see that all the info is there.

So I hope this helps you a bit!
-John

Ya I stay away from the advanced stuff for now.

Select lead loco, lash second, press MU +, lash 3rd loco, press MU +, etc....

I went with Duplex programming right off the bat when coming into the hobby. I'd say the hardest thing was speed matching loco's.

Other then that, I install a decoder and program 4 digit address, test run, set decel and accel CV's, then just have fun.

I'm gradually learning and messing around with other things the system can do, but I try not to get too frustrated running trains and taking it slow.

There are three ways.

1. Let the command station do the work. Put lead engine in right throttle, trailer in left, hit MU+ and ENTER. Hit left throttle knob, change address and repeat if you want more engines in the consist

2. The quick and dirty method. Put all of the locos you want in the consist on the programming track and program a single (usually the lead loco's) address and they will all run together.

3. Advanced consisting, which is controlled by CVs denoting the consist number, which engines are where in the consist, etc.

I only use method #1 because it's the easiest.

Back