Remote Snap Switch From Atlas

steamer69

I was wondering if anyone out there can tell me if you can use Atlas Remote Switches on a layout that is Dcc.I have some and i would like to use them if it can be done.I was wondering if anyone else is useing them and if so how did you wire them to work.

I was wondering if anyone out there can tell me if you can use Atlas Remote Switches on a layout that is Dcc.I have some and i would like to use them if it can be done.I was wondering if anyone else is useing them and if so how did you wire them to work.
Are you talking about switches as in the track or switches as in switch machines that control which way the turnout is thrown? If the latter are you talking about using DCC to control them? If so you need a stationary decoder for each switch machine.

My neighbor is using Snap switches but has not got to DCC yet. I use Atlas custom line because the custom line makes different types of switches like wyes and long swithes. The snap switche uses plastic frogs and the custom line uses insulated metal frogs. I am not sure how to wire DCC yet but my track planning book shows how on my layout. Basicly you have on off switches on the same blocks as you would on DC just the DCC has more common terminals. But even the Peco switches have insulated frogs so using the snap switch is the same as using a Peco but no premium price. Wiring would be different I think if you were going to power the frog.

If you want to remotely control the switches with DCC using your DCC throttle, you need to get a stationary decoder like the Digitrax DS64. It supports up to 4 switches.

What you do is wire the switch machines, with a solenoid, and wire those to the DS64. And then you can control them with your throttle.

I use the Peco switches with Peco solenoid switch machines, and the DS64s all controlled by my NCE throttle. It works flawlessly.

As has been mentioned, to control them with DCC, you would need to get accessory(also called stationary) decoders to control them; however, you can also use them just like you would on a DC layout by powering them with the accessory terminals of a DC power pack or even some other adequate AC or DC power supply.

If you're asking about installing these turnouts into the layout, there's no special wiring required to use them with DCC. Because the frogs are insulated, you don't need to gap beyond the frog (the way you do with electrified frogs).

-John

Back