Picking a wiring system: How high is up?$$$

DairyStateDad

Mumbling in the corner
I'm building my first layout since High School 35-40 years ago (when I didn't actually get very far the first time). I have a couple of older Non-DCC locomotives and plan to get one or two more in the next year. I will probably start out just running 1 train at a time, but eventually I'll want to run two trains at once, sometimes 3. I have a comfortable understanding of how Cab Control works, and I have a limited budget.

I know that DCC is the gold standard now but I wonder if I should just stick w/ DC/Cab Control. What kind of upfront investment would jumping into DCC require? It's my impression that to add DCC to my existing and future locos, we're adding $100 or so a pop to the cost of each locomotive. That's going to add up quickly.

On the other hand, I probably will want DCC eventually. I just fear that that upfront cost will set me back so far I won't be running trains anytime soon at all.

Any thoughts anyone has are welcome...

DairyStateDad
bloggingontherr.blogspot.com

get a 20$ DC powerpack (ie MRC techII from ebay) and run that till you can afford the system and decoders for your locos. better DC then nothing.
make sure you purchase dcc ready locos for ease of future conversion, but thats is not mandatory (anything can be converted with enough effort)..

That's what I was thinking

I'm glad to see my instincts aren't far off on this one. Thanks for the response!

DairyStateDad. I'm getting back into this. I have my around the room layout up. Like you I Was concerned about DCC. I figured the way the hobby is changing, DC will be like the old VHS. So I picked up a Digitrax Super Empire Builder set at a show. It's a big investment but the growth in dcc sound engines I think in some years will be dominate. I have some older Stewart Hobbies and Atlas engines with the Kato motors that performance wise I think run as good as anything out there. If I can add a decoder for twenty bucks or less to them they should be good dcc engines. So for what it's worth I jumped into the DCC world and am trying to get my head wrapped around it. I figure I might as well learn it now. Good luck with your choice. CF.

OK, fair enough. It will probably be several months before I have enough track laid to even run anything, so I've got some time to a) save some money or b) come to a decision I'm secure with, whichever it is. Thanks for responding!

Go for it!

OK, fair enough. It will probably be several months before I have enough track laid to even run anything, so I've got some time to a) save some money or b) come to a decision I'm secure with, whichever it is. Thanks for responding!

D3:
Here are a few thoughts...
1. Buy the DCC now; it will never be cheaper. Yes, it's a chunk of $ up front, but you'll stop fretting about when is the right time to make the decision. Also, it will keep you from gradually extending your DC efforts until you won't be able to chose DCC because you've gone too far with DC.

2. You can sit and read the manuals, ask questions, search the internet, and your DCC knowledge and expertise will grow NOW. Like getting thrown into the pool, you'll learn how to swim... no "getting my feet wet" delays...

3. The first thing I set up was my DCC and 2 sections of flextrack. I made sure it worked and that I knew how to use it. THEN, as I added each section of track to make up my layout, I was always able to immediately detect and correct any wiring problem that I accidentally made. Thus, I did not have any "debugging" to do when I was finally ready to run lots of trains.

So think about just jumping in and getting to the far side of what now looks like an ocean of information, but once you get to the other side, you'll see it's only a healthy-sized lake...

And, you have lots of company here, folks who are (obviously) willing to answer questions and help you out!

Let us know what you decide!!
-John

One more thing: Unless you're adding DCC with sound, it will be much less than $100.00 per loco. You can add non sound decoders to any loco for about $15-20.00 and a little soldering ,or not even that if your locos have a plug or harness inside. Your older locos won't have those, but new DCC ready locos just about all do.

You can get an entry level (or even a little better) system for about the same cost as a DCC/sound equipped loco, and you won't have to mess with toggle switches, selectors, rotary switches, or other such goodies, and you'll generally need much less wire. Don't leave the wire & switchgear out of your cost calculations!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Buy the DCC now; it will never be cheaper. Yes, it's a chunk of $ up front, but you'll stop fretting about when is the right time to make the decision. Also, it will keep you from gradually extending your DC efforts until you won't be able to chose DCC because you've gone too far with DC
how is it possible to "go to far with DC"?
unless he is ready to run trains now, i see no reason to buy anything now. technology tends to get obsolete. even if there are no new systems on horison right this moment you never know. especially in OPs case as money seems to be an issue.

however it will be a good idea to read up on the subj and choose a system. then monitor craiglist and ebay for a good deal on pre-owned one .

Back