Recent content by GenSet

1. G

Anyone got dummy units?

If manufacturers thought they could sell dummies profitably, they would. But people think they should be 10 bucks like an Athearn dummy was in the 1970s.
  2. G

Anyone got dummy units?

Only if enough people would buy them. Probably not many would, except for A-B type sets.
  3. G

Peco HO code 83 flex track?

Maybe PECO code 75 and code 100. But the PECO code 83 represents US prototypes well.
  4. G

HO Model RR ROOKIE

You don't need foam over all the plywood, unless you plan to carve it out to make gullies and such. Adding foam over all the plywood makes it trickier to drop power feeds. A lot of folks use a cookie cutter style benchwork, slicing up the plywood for grades and such and mounting all the plywood...
  5. G

Front truck lifting up on curve

That's what to do.
  6. G

Replacement for Old Atlas #56 Turnout Switch?

Take careful note of the word "momentary" That will keep the switch machine from being burned out. A standard SPDT will burn out a solenoid switch machine in a flash.
  7. G

Bachmann EZ Command?

I don't hate DC, if you are talking to me. If you just want to run one non-sound train at a time, good for you. I built and/or wired three layouts for DC block control over the years, so I know what a pain it can be. DCC is way easier for multiple trains, that's all. I just think it is...
  8. G

Bachmann EZ Command?

That hasn't been my experience. Started with NCE Powerhhouse Pro, I've only had to add throttles for more operators. Less than 20 buck in quantity, but it is money. See above. There is no computer knowledge required. NCE has simple English language prompts. Input the engine number, turn...
  9. G

Bachmann EZ Command?

The reality is that for many people starting from scratch, DCC is not much more costly than full DC block wiring for independent control of multiple engines. And much easier to wire, of course. The NCE Power Cab or equivalent systems from Digitrax and others are not much more $$ than the...
  10. G

altas lh turnout has been delivered

People yammer about this all the time, but the fact is that many items have come in, sold out, and are waiting to be restocked. I am sure that nobody wants this resolved more quickly than does Atlas. What good does it do to pillory them all the time? Often the same people week after week. Move...
  11. G

DC block wiring

Traditional DC block control doesn't work like that. Instead, each loop would be broken up into multiple blocks, each of which may be connected (often with a toggle switch) to any of the DC powerpacks. (Folks call the powerpacks "Cabs" in traditional DC block wiring). This allows trains to move...
  12. G

I give up!

And you can go to the original source, Tam Valley Depot, rather than buy from FastTracks, who is one of many dealers. There is also more complete information on the manufacturer's site.
  13. G

DC block wiring

Just to avoid confusion, it might be worthwhile to call things by the generally-accepted names. What the OP has is a DC power pack. "Controllers" are associated with DCC.
  14. G

DC block wiring

Not without blocks, toggles, and separate wiring. By the time you do all that, it will certainly make sense to upgrade to a better quality power pack. Save the one you have for powering accessories.
  15. G

The Saanich Peninsula

Anything is possible in the abstract Without a room diagram or a track plan, it's going to be hard to give you any useful advice. Once you start drawing things to scale (as has been mentioned) it is quite likely that less will fit than you expect -- that's just the way it always is. Switches...

Back