Peco HO code 83 flex track?

Atlas is hard to get? Geez. I'm just re-starting after (mumble) years, and Atlas was all over the place. I have not noticed much difference between Atlas and Peco flex track. The turnout quality is a different matter. IMO, the Atlas code 83 supertrack turnouts look superior and are more delicate near the points. That is getting off the subject.

--- edit ---
The Atlas track profile is supposedly fatter at the top and base than the prototype. Unnoticeable usually. The Central Valley turnout kits require a certain width base. The Micro Engineering 83 flex track has the appropriate base for the CV kits. If you want to build your own turnouts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your kidding right?

Not much difference at points...
... and take a look at the frog and the guardrails.
Well to each their own.
As long as you are happy.

Not kidding. I do think the Peco is a better representation of European prototypes. The Peco uses stamped metal, not rail, for the points. And I'm happy. It's an opinion. We all have them.

But the question was flex track. IMO, both Atlas and Peco are good. There are finer ones like Micro Engineering but you pay a bit more for it.

Personally, I have both Atlas and Peco flex track. Forgetting whether one is European and the other US type track which, in my opinion, is irrelevant when it comes to over all quality. Comparing them side by side, the look, feel and functionality of the Peco Track is much better.

That being said, thee will always be "better" track, and Epimethius is probably right, Micro Engineering track is possibly better than both Peco and Atlas.

As for the turnouts, Peco has Atlas beaten hands down.

I may not be an expert, or even greatly experienced in track, but I also don't spend a squillian dollars on Atlas track just to rip it up and replace it with Peco Track for no reason.

For me the real factor was availability. Since I couldn't go down to my LHS and buy Atlas flex track and the only place I seemed to be able to find it was on Fleabay at an inflated price, I went with Peco.

Not kidding. I do think the Peco is a better representation of European prototypes. The Peco uses stamped metal, not rail, for the points. And I'm happy. It's an opinion. We all have them.

Maybe PECO code 75 and code 100. But the PECO code 83 represents US prototypes well.

Maybe PECO code 75 and code 100. But the PECO code 83 represents US prototypes well.

That is correct. The Peco code 75 and code 100 is built to represent European profiles, chairs instead of tieplates, and "bolts" instead of spikes, their code 83 is built to NA "standards". You have excellent tieplates and spike detail.

I have always preferred Atlas Flex with Peco turnouts. Don't know why really but I personally have nothing against either company aside from the Atlas availability.

Back