Bachmann EZ Command?

KB02

I tried searching but did find the answer I was looking for.

Has anyone used the Bachmann EZ Command DCC Controller? And what did you think?

I am at the point in my layout that I am going to start breaking my layout up into DC blocks. As I have been looking into this, the thought of DCC is getting more appealing.

Thanks.
-Bob

Bob,

I had a Bachmann EZ Command System on my previous layout for a short time. In all honesty, compared to Digitrax, NCE etc, it is a toy; however, from memory it was pretty simple to use and gave you the ability to run basic DCC functions. I think it is probably a good learning tool for getting into DCC.

I don't recall how much I paid for it, as I bought it as a package along with a DCC loco etc.

To be completely honest with you, the EZ Command System, from what I understand, has limited functionality. If you want to get into DCC then you are probably better off getting something better. I have a Digitrax system and in hindsight (as a newbie to DCC) should have gone with an NCE Powercab.

Hope this helps,

I know DCC sounds good but, lets be honest, it is going to take a lot of money to do it right. If you settle for one of the lesser units, and your model gets really big, you will find yourself upgrading constantly.

Plus, the locomotives are going to be extra $. Maybe that is right for you, but I find I can have way more train with DC.

There are lots of very nice used loco's on ebay that were made for DC. Plus, for non computer geeks like myself, the simplicity is highly appealing.

When I am hauling 12 cars around my 60' of track, I can't imagine having two loco's on there going at once, unless one is parked. The tracks are simply full. For switching operations, one or two cars at a time, it is a different story.

I think it is more a matter of personality than functionality. I have more fun fixing and making stuff than running trains on the track. I have noticed others getting "bored" with the creative functions of model railroading. It is all in how we are wired. (pun intended)

lasm

When first released, they retailed for just over USD$100. Within about 20 months Bachmann was flogging them by including them in 'starter sets' that included a DCC locomotive from their Bachmann non-Spectrum line plus some track and two or three cars, but still for $100 discounted. That should give you some idea of the efficacy and value of the EZ-Command.

As Tony says, it can run a DCC train and do basic things, but you can't programme any CV's with it!!! Decoders are designed to have the owner tailor their outputs so that their engines run as they want them to. That means programming the decoder, which the EZ-Command can't do. You would be well advised to look for a better DCC system from Digitrax, Easy DCC, NEC, Lenz, and some others.

h44's post, DC Block Wiring (http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?34175-DC-block-wiring), really got me to thinking about it. My layout is relatively small, but I do want to be able to run two or three trains at a time. I already have three DC power supplies (only one currently hooked up and in known working condition), so my basic though was, "Why not just isolate sections and run two (or three) packs?" Then the thought of how cumbersome running two (or three) pack would be with all the switches that I would need to install and trying to stay ahead of all the trains when going from one block to the next. Now my thought is, "If I can get into DCC for cheap, wouldn't it be easier?" I found several of these EZ Commands on ebay (some with and some without an engine). I figured I would ask around here what people thought.

Of the four (really three) running engines that I have, I already have one that is set up for DCC (Bachmann GP40 - I know, I know... the factory decoders have been deemed to be crap). The other engine don't seem hard to convert. The most labor intensive seems to be my Athearn GP38-2, but I found a great website, with pictures, so I'm sure that I can handle it. :rolleyes:

I forgot to mark my calendar for the local, annual, train show and missed it by a week. I may, or may not, have missed out on some good deals. I dropped a bid down on ebay for one of the EZ commands. I won't go very high, but I figure if I can pick one up for a quarter of the price of a NCE Power Cab, it might at least get me started.

The reality is that for many people starting from scratch, DCC is not much more costly than full DC block wiring for independent control of multiple engines. And much easier to wire, of course.

The NCE Power Cab or equivalent systems from Digitrax and others are not much more $$ than the Bachmann and much more capable. I personally cannot see a good reason for buying the Bachmann EZ Command. The few dollars saved now are not going to be worth the frustration later, IMHO. That's why you see so many of them for sale used.

Many non-sound new locomotives now come equipped with a dual-mode decoder for DCC/DC out of the box for free (sound costs more, DC or DCC). Fleet decoders for retrofitting engines are well under 20 bucks apiece now in quantity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know DCC sounds good but, lets be honest, it is going to take a lot of money to do it right. If you settle for one of the lesser units, and your model gets really big, you will find yourself upgrading constantly.

That hasn't been my experience. Started with NCE Powerhhouse Pro, I've only had to add throttles for more operators.

Plus, the locomotives are going to be extra $.

Less than 20 buck in quantity, but it is money.

There are lots of very nice used loco's on ebay that were made for DC.

See above.

Plus, for non computer geeks like myself, the simplicity is highly appealing.

There is no computer knowledge required. NCE has simple English language prompts. Input the engine number, turn the knob, train runs.

When I am hauling 12 cars around my 60' of track,

If you are only ever going to run one train at a time on a small layout, then there is no advantage to DCC (except for sound). But that is not the OP's situation -- he wants to run multiple trains with independent control of each at the same time.

It is clear you have a hate relationship with anyone who is satisfied with DC.

I don't hate DCC guys. I just don't envy them.

lasm

It is clear you have a hate relationship with anyone who is satisfied with DC.

I don't hate DCC guys. I just don't envy them.

lasm

I don't hate DC, if you are talking to me. If you just want to run one non-sound train at a time, good for you. I built and/or wired three layouts for DC block control over the years, so I know what a pain it can be. DCC is way easier for multiple trains, that's all.

I just think it is important to present the truth. Sorry if that hurt your feelings.

Easy, guys, It's just opinions. :)

And thanks, all, for sharing! I think I'll hold off on breaking things into blocks for a little bit and see how things go. Gotta get some more track laid, first.

DC or DCC, if your thinking signals, your going to break the track into blocks, and really good trackwork requires solid wiring underneath, DC or DCC. To me it doesnt make any differrence. Just one you may have toggle/rotary switches on the side panel, the other not. Then again, like me for realistic turnout control, or like a yard panel for turnouts with switches/buttons, it makes no difference, your going in with the soldering iron. My first DCC engine was the BLI Class A 2-6-6-4 with DCC, first run paragon, I didnt own DCC yet. Eventually I bought the EZ Command just to see this engine perform. It was pre-MTH lawsuit QSI, sounded great. Eventually I bought the digitrax super chief with radio. My purpose for the Digitrax was signalling. I knew there were 3rd person vendors doing neat stuff for signalling and dispatcher panels etc, so I went that way. My EZ command is used for testing purposes only off railroad. Its a nice introduction to DCC, usually if you own one and want an engine with different address you took it to your "expert" hobbyshop and changed it, usually free. I would buy a better DCC system because it will be practically a one time purchase, like your favorite brass engine if you do that. Eventually you may want some side tracks or engine tracks to kill power to locomotives on them for various reasons, I know I would on a roundhouse, all them engines powered up....just put it into your buying plans.

If your layout is big enough to consider blocks, it's big enough for a full blown DCC, I fill an area 14'x30'
You don't need to buy everything all at once, you can spread the cost out over time. I have about $800 in mine
Most of your existing DC engines will convert to DCC for around $25 each (without sound). Some of mine are from the 1960's.

Most seem to prefer NCE or Digitrax, I went with MRC Prodigy Express which is fine, but it has a lot of limitations I didn't know about in the beginning.
looking back now I probably would have gone with Digitrax, but I still haven't read up much on the NCE stuff yet.
Some of the documentation can be intimidating when you try to read it, but the hole DCC thing really isn't that difficult.
Actually I think it's a lot easier than wiring up blocks on a DC setup.
You can run pretty much as many locos as you want all at the same time on the same tracks, no blocks needed. I've had as many as 5 trains running at once on mine ( all on the same line, not separate loops ) by myself alone. a complete loop around takes about 8 minutes.
You can control your turnouts and most everything else right from your throttle.
AND with a computer, WIFI and JMRI you can use your Cell Phone as a Wireless Throttle.

I would recommend either the Digitrax or the NCE systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
...AND with a computer, WIFI and JMRI you can use your Cell Phone as a Wireless Throttle.

Ha, Ha! I am no way NEAR that level yet! I've only got 42 square feet (a 4'x7.5' platform with a 3.5'x3.5' side table) that I'm working with. Once I get all the track set up that I want, it MIGHT take two minutes for a complete all around loop of all the tracks. We'll start with DCC if I get THAT far! :cool:

Yup, we all have to start some ware. Mine STARTED with a 4 x 8 piece of Homasote laying on the floor back about 1963. I still have the engines (now converted to DCC) and rolling stock from back then. Even some of my current track is from that first layout. Anybody remember the old "fiber tie" flex track?

Back