Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why I have always avoided all social media except for this forum and a couple other model RR forums. But yes, Google knows a lot about me anyway. But I am somewhat comforted by knowing that there is so much information out there about anyone who has ever logged on to the Internet, that my information is really lost in the queue.
My distrust goes back to the late 90's or the early 00's when I found some info about me like birth date, address and some other stuff that one of my kids had posted on MySpace or some other site popular at the time. I think that it was a site that actually predated MySpace. None of the three ever owned up to it after the butt-reaming that I gave them all at the time. My wife on the other hand, posts on social media and does banking business over the Internet all of the time.
Absolutely in your "camp" regarding the subject. I have never - ever - participated in "social media" with exceptions of interacting on web sites such as this; which I suppose one might loosely connect with "social media." Anyway - I avoid, as much as possible, anything tied to Google - even when purchasing my low-budget Android.

Anyway - nice to know I am not alone with my thinking!

Have a refill of whatever beverage you prefer - on me!

Tom in Missouri

Good Morning All. Happy Palm Sunday to those that it matters to. Mostly clear and 58° right now. We're under a high wind advisory for today, sustained southerly winds of 25-30 mph and gusts to 45 mph. That will dry the ground out in time for the 100% chance of showers around midnight!

Unusual night last night in that I actually slept for 8 hours with two potty breaks. I usually can't get back to sleep after the second one (last night at 0300), so that is what made it unusual. That was coupled to an hour long nap after lunch for a combined 9 hours!
Sat down with my wife yesterday and reviewed tax information to ensure that we had everything lined up. That doesn't mean that she'll do them any time soon. In all of her years working for H&R Block, she always waited and did ours at the last minute. We actually shouldn't need to file at all since we didn't pay withholding on anything, Social Security, pension, RMD distribution, etc. I don't think that our reported "earned income" is enough to warrant filing. Much of our living expenses came from previously taxed income in money market funds and from Treasury notes that are not taxable. That will all change at the end of 2025 when I have to start taking major RMD's from IRA's.

The rain Friday didn't keep me from mowing yesterday, however I just used the electric push mower and went around the garden and around some trees. I also used the weedeater in areas near the back porch that I can't get the mower into. RANT! I liked the older weedeater models with the tap and feed mechanisms instead of this newer one with the automatic feed. Kinda like a self-driving car! I want to control things. Today I plan to plant green beans and squash in the garden. Tomorrow I plan to go to the feed store and get a few dozen tomato and pepper plants to augment the ones that I started from seed at home.

I do not remember all that I did out in the train shed yesterday, some has been quite routine. I do remember doing a few more headstones in the cemetery scene and painting some figures. I painted figures since I got out the painting stuff to paint the porch handrails and cages on an older Atlas caboose that I identified a few weeks ago.
Here are a few more random shots around my layout.View attachment 184785
View attachment 184786View attachment 184787
That's all today because it's taking too damn long to upload right now.

David - Is that really three days of sunshine in a row for you???
Tom in MO - I cannot help you with the Lionel stuff, as I know nothing about it. My knowledge of it is limited to stuff made prior to the mid-60's when I worked with Dad on his stuff.
If you liked the scenes that I posted here in the Coffee Shop, then check out my layout thread listed in my signature line. You might also look for the thread "Mini-Scenes Monday" that I started and posted to, starting in 2022.
BTW - Sneezing while peeing usually results in having to mop afterwards for me. But there is an advantage that I have living out in the boonies; I generally just water the trees and bushes.
Terry - Staple gun is a new one to me. In my days, motorcycle chains and brass knuckles were the weapon of choice.
Tom O - That fire department cost is outrageous! I have since found out from a friend who is a volunteer at the local VFD, that they were given a heads up but did not deem it necessary to be present. Especially since it rained the night before. In our part of the county, there are no permits required for anything except aerial pesticide/fertilizing. I didn't need any plumbing or electrical permits (nor does anyone else), although I did most to code for my own protection anyway.

Forum is really slow this morning. I ran into that issue a couple of times over the last few days. What's up???

Everybody have a great Sunday.
Lionel from the era you referenced was not much different from my experiences with it as a kid (1940's-early 50's). As technology progressed so did Lionel and today it is much, much more complex than back-in-the-day. There is no way I would entertain the notion of taking apart a locomotive today; but did so decades ago - and - put 'em back together in running-condition. Hooray for the good-old-daze.

I did click on your signature link - well done, Sir!

Whilst kidding about my "multi tasking" reference - that time has not (yet) arrived for me - the multiple pit stops during sleeping hours has.
Oh the joys of these so-called Golden Years.

Have a refill on your favorite beverage on me!

Tom in Missouri

The rabbit hole instigator is all together and back on the shelf. It was missing a track roller and a couple of sheaves, along with having one off the ears broken off the shovel. That latter issue took a couple of tries. After whittling out a fairly accurate replacement from brass, the first attempt was to just JB Weld it in place. Nope. For the second go around, I drilled a couple of .020" holes through the ear flanges and into the shovel proper and pined/JB Welded it in place. The sheaves and roller were machined out of brass also.

For a little history, I purchased that model new from the local Caterpillar dealer (Nash Davis Company) in 1957. I think it was $14, a really lot of money for a 12 year old kid with a $0.25 a week allowance. Also, photos of the Reuhl D7, which I can blame for all the rabbit hole experience. That was my No 10 birthday present from my father, 1955. The scraper was the last one of these I purchased, right after Reuhl's change of ownership. The connection with the Nash Davis Company began with my father purchasing a 12 inches to the foot model of a 1937 Caterpillar 22. That machine was apparently being used to skid logs and became frozen down in the mud overnight. Instead of trying to thaw it out, a muscled extraction was attempted, the result being a broken pinion and ring gear. It was disassembled and never reassembled. When my father bought it, in something that would NEVER occur today, the Nash Davis Company let him use a corner of the shop over the winter to put it back in service and of course, those enticing Reuhl models were on the shelf.
53606372521_21ba991606_b.jpg

53606588043_75bb966fb5_b.jpg

The D7 and scraper
53606371861_82d3596345_b.jpg

53605499932_5772be7480_b.jpg

53606839055_0eebfa625f_b.jpg

53606586883_f2b52c1492_b.jpg

53606839070_28a9dceaa8_b.jpg
Oh I would kill to get my hands on something like that oh the fun weathering

Good 13F Morning!
Since I don't go to church, this will be a full day of pure modelling bliss. Except the dog will get her usual 2x forest walks.

I once had a girlfriend who said I was weird for openly laughing while I read the Saturday comics. She had a rather closed mind, and the relationship didn't last long. I like comics, but oddly, not comedians.
Ran across this Larson comic on the web this morning:
View attachment 184783

I'm currently on my 4th Woodshop exterior wall colour change. Tried colours like brown/green, English uniform, khaki, and finally buff, which I believe I'll settle on.
View attachment 184784The camera seems to have trouble discerning the colours. It looks ok in real life. The doors are brown and the trim is a dark green.
Now, it is what it is. I'm going to start putting it together today. Don't believe there will be a chance to model tomorrow.

Sherrel - I've had my head stapled together before. The result of a drunken brawl back when I used to drink that poison. It's nice to hear both you and Kate are feeling better today. Stay happy.

Hmmm! Seems like the internet is acting up. I'm having trouble loading stuff. Suppose I'll come back another time.
Have a wonderful day!
My brother had super boy and superman uk not as valuable as us but some very jaw dropping prices
i had super girl and planet of the apes which I still gave and would appear to never going to be worth even the paper they were printed on
we got beeper and bravo but only after my dad read it lol

A lot of people already know a lot about you. They already know how you vote in elections. Know where you shop and how much. Know your hobbies. Know where you are. Know when you go on holiday and where. Know what you watch on television and the music you listen to. Know how much money you have and how much debt. And much more.
Not necessarily. They only know what you let them know. In my case, they do not know what I watch on TV, I never post anything about any absence from the property before the fact, and they definitely don't know how I vote. Likewise, knowledge of your net worth can be controlled.

Hobbies, yes, and I'm sure Costco can make a listing of every last item I have purchased in the last two decades but I'm little concerned about those and a few other accounts I have.

That's why I have always avoided all social media except for this forum and a couple other model RR forums. But yes, Google knows a lot about me anyway. But I am somewhat comforted by knowing that there is so much information out there about anyone who has ever logged on to the Internet, that my information is really lost in the queue.
My distrust goes back to the late 90's or the early 00's when I found some info about me like birth date, address and some other stuff that one of my kids had posted on MySpace or some other site popular at the time. I think that it was a site that actually predated MySpace. None of the three ever owned up to it after the butt-reaming that I gave them all at the time. My wife on the other hand, posts on social media and does banking business over the Internet all of the time.
I agree but it is hard to avoid leaving a cyber trail
i am banned by the other half from making an jokes that could be misconstrued or used against us ssssshhhhh
i am advised I should not go on forums full stop sad face i am totally banned from putting up pictures of us hence my handsome tiger
i do not put up my personal details and hopefully none of you are savvie enough to track me down
the other could likely tell you stuff about yourself you did not know
info on photos yeah best not go there
i have had two modellers come to our home one still does not know our address lol
the other had our address to post something because I posted them recorded del and they put the house name and postcode so made us easy to track doh
i have been asked tonnes of times to do projects for good money but the address is an issue so no
i Can honestly say I have visited lots of countries and in the worlds present state I am not fussed about seeing any other I do not even wish to go to our capital city or any city particularly the world is no longer a great place luckily we have a nice home and privacy and I can certainly live with that
one place we holidayed at has seen been the scene of a horrendous attack on tourists holidays thanks but no thanks

Last edited:
Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those who didn't know Sherrel could do the splits that well. ;)

It's Troy again...

Finalized cruise plans with the Vegas friends yesterday evening. Contacted the travel agent, and waiting on the notice that I need to give the CC#

Nothing fancy for us. We'll be doing inside cabins. They're cheap, and all we do in there is sleep and shower. I'd rather be in a lounge or out on deck.

Cruise is coming up in mid Aug. Our friends want to rent a car in Seward... but, that's a long bus ride up to Anchorage to get the Rental. So, a night in Anchorage, grab the rental car, back to Seward, take another boat ride to get up close to the fjords and whatever's left of the glacier there.

Wife is looking forward to it, but her desire to vacation peters out about 5 days before our friends' desires do. That will be a fun dichotomy to deal with.

played the tank game yesterday. Getting stuck on rules minutiae as the experience gamers try to figure out how the game works.

This coming weekend I'll be in Indy at a gaming convention "WhosyerCon" with a vendor table to sell my books. Probably won't be gaming, but I'll see friends who do.

Speaking of books, I'm in the last week of the month, so it's time to burn through my credits on the image generator. Here's a cute pixie having ice cream on the St. Maurice pier in California... That's one of the images I just set up a facebook ad with. FB is doing away with a lot of advertising targeting that I can set. Otherwise, I won't say it didn't cross my mind to target model railroaders in the area of Tampa FL and see if I could get it to deliver to Terry.

If you see it Terry, know it wasn't me. FB is pushing their own algorithm now and slowly rolling out restrictions on what I can target. Of course, you'd have to be on FB to see it. Or on Instagram.

PS: the image generator got the hand correct in this one. Usually I get three or six fingers per hand
Twiz Ferris Wheel Ice Cream.jpg

Morning folks

19F and snow. The forecast was for a foot of it but I'll believe that when I see it. Not likely they way this year has been unfolding. That said, the snow blade remains on the Bobcat 5600.

With the Reuhl models off the bench, I have to make some decisions as to what unfinished project is next.

Good afternoon, all! A cloudy, very windy day here in H-Town. Temp wise, is the mid 60's. Mowed yesterday, but slowly as the zero turn was leaving some bald spots when turning.

I deleted FB about 2 and a half to 3 years ago. My only social media is this forum. It is a shame that the social media sites all want to collect your data then sell it or use it to tailor ads to force you to view. The idea of being able to stay in contact with family and friends was great, but they had to ruin it. We have never done any banking on the web, no computer, no phone. While I would probably trust my bank, it's the hacking that seems to be uncontrollable that stops us. Again, the connivence would be great, but someone had to ruin it.

I have been having issues with the forum for about 5 days. Slow to respond. When I started out this afternoon, a click on like took about 4 seconds to react, when I click "LIke" on the last post it took nearly 20 seconds. I thought it was on my end, but if everyone is seeing the same thing, then it's not me.

Sherrel - Good to hear you and Kate are doing ok. If they shaved a spot to install the staples, don't be calling her baldy.😀😀😀
Troy - The fairy has the look of an alcoholic, red nose and blurry eyes. She been getting in your liquor cabinet? 😀o_Oo_Oo_O

STAY SAFE
LATER

G'day George,

Whatever works - that area you identified on your map is vaguely familiar to me. A long, long, long time ago I recall being in that area with a gal I was dating. Anyway, brought back some memories - all good.
What town was she from Siberianmo? I live in Lake Carmel NY maybe I know her. Trumps course is just up the road from here about 1 mile off Rt52 on Rt 216.
Swal

Not necessarily. They only know what you let them know. In my case, they do not know what I watch on TV, I never post anything about any absence from the property before the fact, and they definitely don't know how I vote. Likewise, knowledge of your net worth can be controlled.

Hobbies, yes, and I'm sure Costco can make a listing of every last item I have purchased in the last two decades but I'm little concerned about those and a few other accounts I have.

I am glad for you. I really am.

Voting - Here we are given a number. That number is on the voting paper. The Political Parties can check how a person votes by checking the number to the person. If a person is a diehard XYZ voter, XYZ Party does not need to send a leaflet to ask to vote for them. Other Parties do though.

TV -- Alexa silently listens. I was talking to Dawn about a programme on television, but could not remember the title. Whilst changing channels to watch something else, the title of the forgotten programme appeared on the screen.

Use of any bank card - They know the spending pattern. Here in the U.K. so do other banks.

Off course, always be wary of information falling into the wrong hands. As time passes the harder it becomes.

What town was she from Siberianmo? I live in Lake Carmel NY maybe I know her. Trumps course is just up the road from here about 1 mile off Rt52 on Rt 216.
Swal
Tarrytown, NY was where she lived - long gone now; as in deceased. We used to spend weekends "exploring" the area - in and out of my '53 Ford convertible. Ahhhh, those indeed were the "daze."

Anyway - that is all the "personal" stuff I wish to put forth in the Ether.

Cheers!

Tom in Missouri

TV -- Alexa silently listens.

We unhooked our Amazon Echo. Too many strange solicitation calls, emails and targeted adds were starting to happen. These were things we only talked about in the house and none of us did web searches on any of this stuff. Homeowner insurance, vacations, specific home projects, things like that. We deemed it was silently listening and someone was collecting and more than likely selling that information to interested parties.

Its buried somewhere in a drawer now!

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 61F, breezy and wet from the nighttime rain we got. After chores I headed to the train room and glued down the "road and parking lots". I will leave them and let the glue fully dry overnight. I've been doing research into Bricker Tower to support the upcoming build of the new Walthers Pennsy Tower (flat roof). I have found color photos from 1977 (tore down 1981) and all the trim is in what appears to be PC Jade Green. At this point I will probably paint the trim in Asphaultium (think chocolate brown). This project is up after the current project is complete.

Patrick- I hope you get your BP issues under control.

Karl- Family relations can be tough.

Grizzled- Nice set of construction miniatures.

Mike- I consider my cell a leash.

Bill- Nice photo.

Guy- Except for the green those look like Pennsy station colors (Buff and Chocolate Brown).

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back