Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning!
FAMILY GUY_DOG.png

1711354343058.png

In the spring of 1964, the Nickel Plate Road is still providing high speed service for its customers, as shown by the blurred RS36 on the eastbound extra. GP30 #900 is making a set out and pick up from the Argos (IN) yard. (Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum) Photo by Bob Albert.

Good morning all. The rain is back. Icy cold rain. Is Winter returning?

After a nightmare here trying to post, etc, being timed out and whatever, today seems much better.

Flo seems to have calmed down now the coffee machine is working. A large coffee and a Belgian Bun, Flo. Thanks. I'll sit in the corner and watch the world go by.

Dawn is having a physio session. It means I will have to be around to help a little.

Mondays means taking granddaughter to Brownies this evening.

I managed a train running session over the weekend.

Empty fish vans heading south to Dewsbury Market Place Station and beyond.

IMG_3017.JPG

The forum is slow today but at least it works. The snow in my part of WIsconsin is mostly gone and being it’s 40f degrees now and heading into the 50’s with rain it should all be gone by midnight. So the weather forecasters were wrong Friday as we did not get 7” but the 4”+ was more then enough. Now they claim another snow event coming through on Wednesday. I have doubts about that guess!

A grocery run is the only thing I was told about for today. The grandkids are on Spring break and unbelievable but the grandson has no soccer or ice hockey practices this week. I image over the next few days they will show up to swim. They have a mini vacation planning to leave Wednesday afternoon and return Saturday. I know they were having troubles finding a place to board Crosby as their whole neighborhood is gone on vacation and the 2 places that do board had been booked for months. They never ask us to watch their dogs

Here is the granddaughter with Crosby
87DCCF92-3746-4178-9809-8B8360510E2D.jpeg

You dog lovers may get a kick out of this One. I have a friend who coaches at UW. This is what he tells his players and the media. Trust the process
IMG_4976.jpeg

enjoy your day

Last edited:
After over eight months of battling congestive heart failure my Old Beagle Tucker's heart could go no further.

He passed away peacefully early this afternoon at the Vets office resting his head on my lap.
Normally I refrain from commentary on very personal and private matters in the Ether - this is an exception:

Perhaps the most heart-rendering and gut-wrenching experiences is holding a beloved pet during the last moments of life.
I have done that more times than I care to think about but always am grateful for having had them in my life and being able to provide as much comfort as possible at the end.

Sincere sympathies - but I hope you are to celebrate the good memories!

Tom in Missouri

G'day Gents and Ladies (of course!),

Thanx for the hot mugga Joe! I'll have one of those freshly baked crullers, please.

Another dreary beginning to the day here in near-mid-contnent-USA - warmer though (50s-F) and wet. Going to remain cool for a few days (daze) then a promised warm-up supposedly is on the way.

Not much to say this morning - my flurry of posts yesterday should have filled y'all in on my goings-on.

Take care one 'n all!

Tom in Missouri

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 60°. It appears that it did indeed sprinkle overnight around midnight, just as the forecast stated. Except it wasn't thunderstorms like they predicted. From the looks of it, I have about 0.15" in the rain gauge, an amount corroborated by the Weather Underground station around the corner. Cooler temperatures coming overnight and on into Thursday, mid to upper 30's overnight and mid-60's in the daytime. No freezing expected.

Well @#$%&!&%#$, I just accidentally deleted three paragraphs and Windows Clipboard History was not turned on in my computer.

After looking at the forecast for the next week, and checking the ground temperature, I decided to delay the green bean planting in my garden for 2 weeks, coinciding with the next favorable moon phase. The soil temperature shown on the on-line USDA website just 7 miles away is 60°. That is at the low end of the tolerance for green bean germination. They can germinate at that temperature, but in my experience it is about a 25% rate; and they grow poorly for a few weeks after that. I've checked some of my almost 50 years of gardening journals to verify that it might just be too early right now. I need this year's harvest to be on the excellent side, since last year was not good and I need to replenish the usual stock of canned green beans in the pantry.

I had a typical Sunday yesterday here on the SFW estate. Normal Sunday household tasks while my wife watched and cursed at the March Madness stuff on TV. Her bracket picks were shot to hell on Thursday and Friday; and she didn't do any better over the weekend. I got my Vitamin D fix by walking and weedeating some more areas around the pool. My daily walk is back up to 3/4 mile after the bout with Sciatica. I want to be back to 1.5 miles by the end of May.

Yesterday out in the train shed, it was strictly a "run trains" day. I think that I moved 11 trains from staging to staging along the main lines on both the upper and lower levels; and did 3 local switching runs in between. From staging to staging on either level takes between 8.5 and 10 minutes depending on the consist and power. Almost 3 hours without any derailments or other incidents. To all who read this who don't already know, track-laying is the most important part of layout building in my opinion. Especially so when you run near the edge like this.

IMG_3317.JPG

Taking too long to post pictures again this morning, so I will stop here.

Swal - As a kid, my family lived just four houses away from the DAC Country Club in Dallas. Back in the 60's, it was not fenced in on two of the sides and on Mondays when they were closed, me and a buddy would walk around the back and search for golf balls in the woods and creek back there. We would then return another day and sell them to golfers while they were playing on the holes near where there was no fence. After two summers, the grounds crew supervisor chased us away because they were actually getting paid by another group who recovered balls on the courses, who paid for the rights to do so. We sold them for $2/dozen back then.
Grizzled - No the Internet/Google doesn't necessarily know who I vote for, but it does know which primary I voted in.
Troy - I think that getting the right number of fingers was an accomplishment in itself.
David - I am absolutely amazed that most people that I know don't realize that Alexa (and others) is listening to everything that is said within range. My oldest grandson who is usually quite tech-savvy, said that he never thought about it until I told him that Alexa was listening every time he cursed out his younger brother, every time that he talked to his girlfriend on the phone and every time that he farted. He immediately went into his room and unplugged her.
Louis - Please accept my condolences on the passing of Tucker.

Everyone have a great Monday. I hope that someone fixes this forum's slowness and response issues. It's getting to be quite annoying.

Thank you Everybody for your kind words and reaction to my post.

It has indeed been an incredibly sad day for my wife and me. Coming home from work was the hardest part. We have not come home to an empty house since our Cocker Spaniel, Bessy passed away, 10/11/12.

We got Sophie in November of 2012 and a day later we got Tucker. They filled our home and hearts with love and joy like only Dogs can do.

Reunited on the otherside.
1711375409548.png

Here is the granddaughter with Crosby
View attachment 184824

You dog lovers may get a kick out of this One. I have a friend who coaches at UW. This is what he tells his players and the media. Trust the process
View attachment 184825

enjoy your day
The photo of your granddaughter and Crosby brought the first smile to my face all day and the comic spot on! (Pun intended)

Thank you.

Morning all,

I have a Dr visit in a while. Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of what's going on. We know the heart is ok, both by ekg and blood enzymes.

Had some rain yeterday and overnight. Close to an inch. Next 2 nights lows expected in the mid-20s. Probably the end of any peaches or apples as they are blooming as well.

Louis: Sorry to hear about Tucker.

BBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back