Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spousal Unit, KATE, had an unintended fall yesterday which required 6 staples in her head!
She was "shuffling" boxes around from the kitchen re-do and forgot about the one directly behind her - falling backwards and hitting the door frame.
I have no idea why they call it "Emergency" - she was there for over 1.5 hours before they even looked at her (not a Kaiser facility) - total time at the hospital for her was almost 6 hours for x-rays, a scan, and the staples? Thank GOD that she is repaired and feeling OK this AM!

In the meantime, I pulled all the "stuff" from underneath the stove soes I could make a photo for the plumber's estimate - a 3/4" gas line ( 1/2" now) will have to come from where the furnaces are located in the attic above the second floor. Well, I managed to get the photo AND while trying to get up my legs did a split and I did a number on my back as bad as I have ever had. Took two Tylenol but did not phase it - loocated the strong stuff from the Chemo and popped one down - somewhat better now. It hurts immensely sitting down, laying down, and any other position I try to relieve it.

Stay tuned - there may be more today? 🤪
Sorry to hear this, Sherrel. I certainly know about wife's falling. My wife's last fall put her in a nursing home for good.
Swal

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin where the 1-3” of overnight snow was maybe a dusting! The high should be into the high 30’s with it being 24f degrees now but feeling like 16.

The NCAA women’s hockey Championship is at 3pm today but it’s on ESPNU today! Badgers again play the Buckeyes of Ohio State as they did last year. The UW women are the defending Champions! They always play each other tough, win or lose it should be a great game between 2 outstanding programs

Before the game I will be at a work session for a layout from 9 to 1. One of the sort of local guys (12 miles) asked the group for some help and I know 5 of us are going in group 1. Another group of 4 will be there from noon to 4. The goal is to build the 2 level central peninsula that ranges from 6’ at the throat, goes down to 48” and at the end where it turns back is 8’. From the plans it’s 42’ long. About a 2 weeks ago he asked me to help him with a frame cutting diagram. About 10 days ago he asked the group coordinator for a framing group to help him put it together! Today is that day. This is basically a long scenic nolix where the track will climb from 44” at level 1 to 60” on level 2. The plan shows it as a 2% steady grade with a few level spots before it climbs again. My math skills say it’s more like 3% but even that would be ok

enjoy the day

Don't forget the cell phone. That's a great convenience to have but probably the biggest invasion of your privacy!
I've disabled everything I can as far as data transmission and still have a usable device, but there's still a lot more going out than I would like. And then my phone's attempt to protect my privacy by interfering with what's left makes things--interesting.

The Spousal Unit seems to be fine - she went with her sisters to see the oldest GS in a band competition up near Fullerton (wherever that is) and plans to go back for the finals today.
The band came in second yesterday - it was cold and rainey most of the afternoon.

My back is much better this morning although I did just take a Tramadol pill a few minutes ago.
Today's medical happens to be an injection to bring up my WBC which is almost non-existence.
This will be the third injection in a matter of three days.
Glad to hear you are both feeling somewhat better this morning! :D

Spousal Unit, KATE, had an unintended fall yesterday which required 6 staples in her head!
She was "shuffling" boxes around from the kitchen re-do and forgot about the one directly behind her - falling backwards and hitting the door frame.
I have no idea why they call it "Emergency" - she was there for over 1.5 hours before they even looked at her (not a Kaiser facility) - total time at the hospital for her was almost 6 hours for x-rays, a scan, and the staples? Thank GOD that she is repaired and feeling OK this AM!

In the meantime, I pulled all the "stuff" from underneath the stove soes I could make a photo for the plumber's estimate - a 3/4" gas line ( 1/2" now) will have to come from where the furnaces are located in the attic above the second floor. Well, I managed to get the photo AND while trying to get up my legs did a split and I did a number on my back as bad as I have ever had. Took two Tylenol but did not phase it - loocated the strong stuff from the Chemo and popped one down - somewhat better now. It hurts immensely sitting down, laying down, and any other position I try to relieve it.

Stay tuned - there may be more to

Sherrel that’s not good. You have enough adventures that you are currently on. Tell Kate she needs to find another less painful way to get attention. All kidding aside, I‘m glad it was only staples. I fell a couple years ago in the bathroom and woke up in the ER, that’s never good!

ER around here is a great service if you arrive by ambulance or helicopter. If you drive in, it’s like you described a slow process!

Be well and give a hug to Kate

Last edited:
Afternoon all,

Well, I now now know what the day will bring...

Spent 4 hours in the ER this morning. My blood pressure spiked and the wife was concerned I was having some serious issues. Still high, but low enough they sent me home and told to monitor it.

No intervention required, but still not feeling well. Gotta take it easy until I can see my Dr on Monday.🙁
It’s easy for us to say stay home for a couple days and I will! Stay home for a few days and turn off the phone and computer!

But you know what’s best for you and the family. Get and be well!

Tom Trumps course is about 10 miles from where I live. My friend who lives right next to the course and the now abended railroad tracks never buys golf balls. He walks the tracks picking up brand new Titleist golf balls. He leaves the other brands there. I played the course 3 times free because of my friend who has a in there. The membership is $25,000.00 a year. No one bothers to look for golf balls hit on the RR tracks. I was thinking about going over there myself. I played in a tournament there a couple years back. A friend of mine hit a ball on the tracks went looking for it and came back with 25 brand new balls.
Swal

Good 13F Morning!
Since I don't go to church, this will be a full day of pure modelling bliss. Except the dog will get her usual 2x forest walks.

I once had a girlfriend who said I was weird for openly laughing while I read the Saturday comics. She had a rather closed mind, and the relationship didn't last long. I like comics, but oddly, not comedians.
Ran across this Larson comic on the web this morning:
Comic_03-24-2024 (3).jpg

I'm currently on my 4th Woodshop exterior wall colour change. Tried colours like brown/green, English uniform, khaki, and finally buff, which I believe I'll settle on.
Woodshop_03-24-2024 (1).JPG
The camera seems to have trouble discerning the colours. It looks ok in real life. The doors are brown and the trim is a dark green.
Now, it is what it is. I'm going to start putting it together today. Don't believe there will be a chance to model tomorrow.

Sherrel - I've had my head stapled together before. The result of a drunken brawl back when I used to drink that poison. It's nice to hear both you and Kate are feeling better today. Stay happy.

Hmmm! Seems like the internet is acting up. I'm having trouble loading stuff. Suppose I'll come back another time.
Have a wonderful day!

Ahoy Gents and Ladies (off course!),

Awoke a bit late (for me) with overcast and temps in the low 40s (F); got up to the low 50s yesterday and not much higher anticipated for this day..

Hot mugga Joe, black if you please - nothing else; my "motor" is not running quite-right just yet.

Spent a few hours down in Tom's Lion's Den last evening "working on the railroad." I decided to rearrange some of the Fastrack in order to wire-up two areas where I could turn-off track power for trains sitting at idle. I was not overly pleased with having all loco's and cars "energized" each time I powered up the track (illuminated along with headlights blinking and "chirping." So, I came up with a plan.

Of course this meant ordering some isolation track and "fitters" from Amazon - which I did as my MacBook was alongside. (Amazing how technology has advanced so much; and still is!)

Once those sections arrive - in a few days - I will install the wiring and toggles - "and Bob's your Uncle." essentially each oval (which are interconnected) will have a "place" along with my lengthy passing siding - wired that one up at the get-go.

Heading off to my local supermarket for re-stocking of the few "vittles" needed to sustain me for another week. Pretty much my social high-light for the week!

A refill on the Joe and then I'm off . . .

Enjoy the day one 'n all!

Tom in Missouri

G'day George,

Whatever works - that area you identified on your map is vaguely familiar to me. A long, long, long time ago I recall being in that area with a gal I was dating. Anyway, brought back some memories - all good.

As for the NYCentral of old - I remember taking the train from Grand Central Terminal in NYCity up to Albany and back (same day) just for the hell-uv-it. That was around 1958 and again in 1961. The scenes along the Hudson provided a pleasant aspect to the journey.

Later . . .

Tom in Missouri

Tom Trumps course is about 10 miles from where I live. My friend who lives right next to the course and the now abended railroad tracks never buys golf balls. He walks the tracks picking up brand new Titleist golf balls. He leaves the other brands there. I played the course 3 times free because of my friend who has a in there. The membership is $25,000.00 a year. No one bothers to look for golf balls hit on the RR tracks. I was thinking about going over there myself. I played in a tournament there a couple years back. A friend of mine hit a ball on the tracks went looking for it and came back with 25 brand new balls.
Swal

Siberianmo I worked that run for a while as a fireman back in 1974. The 20th Century Limited. Croton Harmon to Albany and back. A 5-hour job with a guaranteed 8 hours of pay. I can't remember the mileage but anything over 100 miles you got an extra $0.25 a mile added to your 8-hour day. It paid really well. The worst part was it was the number one fireman's job ready to be set up as an engineer. Meaning you would be on the bottom of the engineers list for the next 15 years or so. Which made me finally quit the railroad in 1981.
Swal

Good Morning All. Happy Palm Sunday to those that it matters to. Mostly clear and 58° right now. We're under a high wind advisory for today, sustained southerly winds of 25-30 mph and gusts to 45 mph. That will dry the ground out in time for the 100% chance of showers around midnight!

Unusual night last night in that I actually slept for 8 hours with two potty breaks. I usually can't get back to sleep after the second one (last night at 0300), so that is what made it unusual. That was coupled to an hour long nap after lunch for a combined 9 hours!
Sat down with my wife yesterday and reviewed tax information to ensure that we had everything lined up. That doesn't mean that she'll do them any time soon. In all of her years working for H&R Block, she always waited and did ours at the last minute. We actually shouldn't need to file at all since we didn't pay withholding on anything, Social Security, pension, RMD distribution, etc. I don't think that our reported "earned income" is enough to warrant filing. Much of our living expenses came from previously taxed income in money market funds and from Treasury notes that are not taxable. That will all change at the end of 2025 when I have to start taking major RMD's from IRA's.

The rain Friday didn't keep me from mowing yesterday, however I just used the electric push mower and went around the garden and around some trees. I also used the weedeater in areas near the back porch that I can't get the mower into. RANT! I liked the older weedeater models with the tap and feed mechanisms instead of this newer one with the automatic feed. Kinda like a self-driving car! I want to control things. Today I plan to plant green beans and squash in the garden. Tomorrow I plan to go to the feed store and get a few dozen tomato and pepper plants to augment the ones that I started from seed at home.

I do not remember all that I did out in the train shed yesterday, some has been quite routine. I do remember doing a few more headstones in the cemetery scene and painting some figures. I painted figures since I got out the painting stuff to paint the porch handrails and cages on an older Atlas caboose that I identified a few weeks ago.
Here are a few more random shots around my layout.
IMG_2546.JPG

03-17-20 003.JPG
03-17-20 002.JPG

That's all today because it's taking too damn long to upload right now.

David - Is that really three days of sunshine in a row for you???
Tom in MO - I cannot help you with the Lionel stuff, as I know nothing about it. My knowledge of it is limited to stuff made prior to the mid-60's when I worked with Dad on his stuff.
If you liked the scenes that I posted here in the Coffee Shop, then check out my layout thread listed in my signature line. You might also look for the thread "Mini-Scenes Monday" that I started and posted to, starting in 2022.
BTW - Sneezing while peeing usually results in having to mop afterwards for me. But there is an advantage that I have living out in the boonies; I generally just water the trees and bushes.
Terry - Staple gun is a new one to me. In my days, motorcycle chains and brass knuckles were the weapon of choice.
Tom O - That fire department cost is outrageous! I have since found out from a friend who is a volunteer at the local VFD, that they were given a heads up but did not deem it necessary to be present. Especially since it rained the night before. In our part of the county, there are no permits required for anything except aerial pesticide/fertilizing. I didn't need any plumbing or electrical permits (nor does anyone else), although I did most to code for my own protection anyway.

Forum is really slow this morning. I ran into that issue a couple of times over the last few days. What's up???

Everybody have a great Sunday.

Morning all,

53° and cloudy with winds picking up ahead of storms expected later this evening. Then the temps drop into the mid-20's.

Headache persists as does the elevated BP. Trying to take it as easy as I can, but so far it seems like I'm still as busy as usual.

going to try to get into the rain room later. We'll see.

BBL

A lot of people already know a lot about you. They already know how you vote in elections. Know where you shop and how much. Know your hobbies. Know where you are. Know when you go on holiday and where. Know what you watch on television and the music you listen to. Know how much money you have and how much debt. And much more.

Sixty (60) years ago I signed a piece of paper. From then on if I said something I shouldn't I would be put in jail.
A piece of plastic in your wallet says 98% about you.
That's why I have always avoided all social media except for this forum and a couple other model RR forums. But yes, Google knows a lot about me anyway. But I am somewhat comforted by knowing that there is so much information out there about anyone who has ever logged on to the Internet, that my information is really lost in the queue.
My distrust goes back to the late 90's or the early 00's when I found some info about me like birth date, address and some other stuff that one of my kids had posted on MySpace or some other site popular at the time. I think that it was a site that actually predated MySpace. None of the three ever owned up to it after the butt-reaming that I gave them all at the time. My wife on the other hand, posts on social media and does banking business over the Internet all of the time.

Wish I could figure out why the "Forum" is soooo slow this morning?
Seems as if it always happens about this same time almost everyday?
Took 14 seconds to click on the "like"
It’s not just today. It’s been going on for me for more than a week. It’s off and on during the day. I was starting to think it was just me, as there wasn’t much chatter about it from anyone else.

Siberianmo I worked that run for a while as a fireman back in 1974. The 20th Century Limited. Croton Harmon to Albany and back. A 5-hour job with a guaranteed 8 hours of pay. I can't remember the mileage but anything over 100 miles you got an extra $0.25 a mile added to your 8-hour day. It paid really well. The worst part was it was the number one fireman's job ready to be set up as an engineer. Meaning you would be on the bottom of the engineers list for the next 15 years or so. Which made me finally quit the railroad in 1981.
Swal
As I have "found" a few times during my experiences: everything does not always "play out" as advertised.

20th Century Ltd and the "red carpet" - those times are long gone, but imagery and perhaps a few still-above-ground who recall them.

A refill on whatever you are drinking, on me!

Tom in Missouri

It’s not just today. It’s been going on for me for more than a week. It’s off and on during the day. I was starting to think it was just me, as there wasn’t much chatter about it from anyone else.
Has not been "just you." I figured the servers were simply overloaded by the "hits" during peak hours. Could be anywhere along the line in Cyber Space - one's own router or server - the "connections" in the Ether - and of course the servers at the source for data. Happens.

Take care!

Tom in Missouri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back