Running Bear's December 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all! TGIF! Not because of work, but tomorrow I get to see the grandkids! It's 33 up here is SE Wisconsin. Looks to be a mild winter with no snow before Christmas. I road tested the Hamburger Grill and the heavyweight diner last night at the club. It mostly went well except for a little excitement at first. Anyone who has ever assembled Athearn's shorty passenger cars knows you get wheels with one side live so you can light the car if you want. Well, that doesn't change even when you get to the expensive brass cars. It's pretty typical to have the brass trucks mounted to the bolster using a plastic bushing. The kingpin goes through this bushing and an insulating washer inside the body. Virtually every car in my fleet (except the Wally cars, we all know about them) is set up this way. Until now. The heavyweight diner had all metal kingpin & hardware sets, and I did the habitual thing and had insulated wheels on opposite sides of the car. So, when I put her on the track at the club, she lit up like the car had a light kit in it! Or an HO arc welder. 🤣 Luckily I was able to spin one truck around and solve the issue. After that all went well, including backing through crossovers, etc. Interesting, the little curve balls a manufacturer will throw you now & then!

Well, howdy there, internet peeps and those loving our gas prices.

It's Troy, again.

Yesterday I filled up at Meijer (Regional competitor to WalMart... one of the Meijer boys was a Congress critter but got primaried for not voting the right way on a hot-topic item)... Anywho, I had enough points for a $1 off per gallon. I don't shop enough, I guess, to get Willie's $2/gal. Better up my game. 🤪

Wife did another acrylic pour yesterday. I'm not a fan of her colours. I think I'll head off to the art store today and get her some more of the artist paints to get better choices. If only that counted for gas points.

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 9.34.19 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 9.39.44 AM.png

I've been watching too many videos on making Tiki Drinks, and now I'm wondering if I can convert part of the basement to a Tiki theme? Hmmm? I will definitely include a tiki bar on my layout in the SoCal section. That's where Don the Beachcomber got his start.

A British author friend just posted this pic on her FB page...

I pointed out that Americans might get the wrong connotation about a cookie/biscuit named "Digestive"

View attachment 178056

In other news, I finally completed the bar purchases enough to do a proper Vieux Carré

It's yummy, despite the name. I did skip half of the bitters, though.

View attachment 178057

3/4oz each bourbon (going to try Rye next time), Sw Vermouth, Cognac. 1/2 oz Benedictine, and one dash each of Angostura and Peychaud's bitters. (I'm not big on bitters, so double the bitters if you like them).
Another use
410231416_6843570805760869_3274610599631896307_n.jpg

Good morning from the city where the lights even 5 miles away light up the sky, Las Vegas! I am not a fan of this city since I stopped gambling and while the food and shows are still great, the prices currently are not a value. I can’t get a straight answer from my brother why he’s leaving Arizona, but I will…

He and his girlfriend are heading home to Hawaii around noon, I fly back to Wisconsin around 1.

Enjoy the day
Safe travels.

Chad - No the missing radiator tubes weren't intentional, there were stubs there that I shaved off first. Your Taco Bell has a "Happy Hour"? Does that refer to the usual happy hour or is it soft drinks?
I agree that American Cheese has it's place as I posted.
The "Happy Hour" at Taco Bell is soft drinks. From 2-5pm the medium drink or the freeze (slushy) is $1 (local franchisees may charge a different price -- our closest one charges $1.49). There are a few places in the country where Taco Bell has what's called Taco Bell Cantina and they serve alcohol. Don't know about their happy hour. We don't have those in our area and I don't drink anyway.

With regards the truck radiator -- it just struck me that their truck probably would be missing some bits of the grill 🤣 🤣

For some reason, gas went up 20 cents a couple days ago. Walmart had been down to $2.47 and the stations near it close, Other stations had been in the low $2.70s to the $2.80s. Now Walmart is $2.67 and the $2.73 is up to $2.87/89

Sucks as I missed filling up. I went to Walmart @ $2.47 but they were out of everything but regular and my car is supposed to take premium but I put mid grade in. I went to another station 2 miles away and they had already gone up. Hopefully it is short lived.

Morning folks,

Another day of sunshine and mild (for here) temps. Gas was still about $2.70 something here when I filled up a couple of days back at Costco.

Still sorting through the junk pile on second floor. I need to find some steel cabinets for the "workshop room" closet for paint and some reloading supplies.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day at 64F but very windy so it felt colder. I wrapped some presents and puttered around the house for a while before MOH and I started binging "The Great British Baking Show". Not sure what's happening this weekend.

TomO- Safe travels.

Willie- I always thought Granny rode in the rocking chair. I guess I was wrong.

Bill- Nice photo.

Alan- Nice find.

Tom- I like it with fresh blackberries.

Karl- Nice job fixing the "throwaways".

Chad- The house is really starting to come together.

David- I'm a fan of dark chocolate, and surprisingly so is youngest grandson.

Troy- It looks surrealistic to me.

I hope everyone has a good night.

It's been a while since I posted an update about my old dog Tucker. As you may remember he was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure on July 14, 2023. He was struggling to breathe when he woke up my wife and it was getting worse. We rushed him to Eastern Animal Hospital less than 10 minutes away. When we took him in, they immediately put him in intensive care and in an oxegen chamber. They began discussing Euthanasia with us if he did not respond to treatment. When they allowed us to visit him, I could see he wanted to be with me. There was no way I would fit into that oxegen chamber. Tucker had not given up and no way were we going to give up on our old beagle!

He did respond to treatment, surprisingly fast, and was soon home with prescriptions. It has now been five months and Tucker is doing well. He tires easily and has an occasional cough. But his resting/sleeping rate of respiration is good. We count it several times a night. We have had to adjust the medication according to how his breathing is. We occasionally must give him a little extra. Like when he snatched and devoured my ham sandwich from the lunch bag! Same old Tucker, always hungry.

Here is our old Beagle Tucker passing through our family room Christmas and launching himself onto "his" couch. He is headed for his grey blanket. He lays there when I am at my computer. So that I can reach over the couch to pet him and hold him.
1702673130931.png

He knocks a few things over in the Christmas display, but he hasn’t broken anything. I don’t care if he does. I am so grateful to have him with us. Waking up Christmas morning and having him follow my every step would be the greatest Christmas gift I could ask for. I thought I was going to lose my shadow, but he is still here.

Well, I got the model of the Whitcomb 65 ton center cab today--almost two weeks' from when I bought it.
It looks nice, and runs okay, and I expect it to run better after I run it for a while.
It has separately controlled number boards, and red class lights that illuminate on the opposite end of the engine from the headlight. It sounds good, though most of the volumes are loud out of the box. The bell is especially jarring.
I've sent off an email to Piko, asking how to adjust the sound levels, both universally, and per sound (such as the bell). The only reference I saw online references setting cv 9001 to 2 before adjusting sound. Umm....
Over 9000 cv values? Wow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back