Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOA: We have one. According to my deed, there is none, it was established after the original owner closed, and the developer sold to a larger developer who handled closings... Attorney says a challenge is a crap shoot, so... I'm in one. Primary reason is to maintain the common ground, (largely unbuildable wet land), and the retention basins used for storm water control.
For years, (I have been here 37 years), the HOA has been dormant, doing what it's supposed to do. More recently,the neighborhood has attracted a new generation of homeowners, and activist directors, who utilize a Gestapo Management Company. I largely ignore them, beyond paying my annual dues. For all their bluster, there isn't much they can do. I own my lot, from the curb back, I maintain my grounds. I pay for my own water, sewer, gas and electric, insure my entire property,pay taxes on it and maintain the exterior as well as interior of the house.

Only in Jersey!

Where is everyone this morning?

Sunny and 56°, low this morning 41° and going to 62°.

Random thought: Why is it, that some "advocates" of Free Speech, are demanding Censorship of speech they do not agree with???

Pollen counts are really high around here, and I'm feeling the effect. Still not fully recovered from the Flu & Covid jabs last week. Not happy, and Benadryl may make me sleepy....:(

Mail is here already. Not sure what I'm doing today yet...

I stumbled into this article this morning....I missed it when the article was originally released in 2022....great photos and article. So I thought to share.

Good Morning All. Clear and 44° here in North Central Texas. Last night of temperatures in the 40's, and today will be 75°. Then mid to upper 80's for at least another week. Maybe rain next week but I won't be here.

Yesterday's car alignment fiasco, while successful was more screwed up than expected. At the last minute my wife told me that they offered rides back and forth while they were working on the car, so I took advantage of that instead of wasting $7 worth of my gasoline. They didn't really know how far they were going to have to go! The issue was not with our car, they had another on the alignment machine since Saturday because they needed a part and they got the wrong one and couldn't move it off; so our car had to wait. They finally got to it in the late afternoon and called to come and get me at home around 4:00 pm. The issue with me was that I had to carry the damn phone around all day waiting for the call!:mad: I hate that intrusive thing and I only intentionally carry it when I am in the car. Even then, it sits in the console. I did get a $20 discount on the alignment though.

The rest of the day didn't go as planned either. I intended to put a new mower deck belt on the tractor, it isn't as easy as the old one. Things moved along until reassembly, I couldn't get a certain pin into a hole because I couldn't get the holes to align, not enough hands. After an hour of trying, I went up the road and recruited my neighbor to come down and assist. Took less than two minutes from there. Meanwhile I ached the rest of the day from laying on the ground, getting up and moving to the other side and laying back down, repeatedly. Feel no aches this morning though.

Regarding federal income taxes; I have only had to write a check once in over 50 years. As I posted the other day, I do not like them using my money interest-free, even if it is just a minuscule amount to the IRS. I always tried to keep my withholding as close to just the needed amount as possible and generally got refunds of less than $50. One year it was $0.96! The one year that I had to write them a check was because my wife received more unemployment payments than expected. For 2022, I paid $0.00 for the first time ever, because we supplemented Social Security with savings and money market funds which are not taxable income. Now that I am going to have to take RMD's from retirement accounts, I will have taxable income. Note that Texas has no state income tax.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I once again mostly ran trains. Layout cleaning and fence project were on hold for one day. I did do some work on the blank space behind the two townhouses. On one, I mostly completed it except for needing/wanting to add flowers/vines to it. It got a small grassy area, a fence, a couple of occupied chairs and a doggie.
IMG_0606.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

Next door has so far just gotten a fence.
IMG_0600.JPG

Note the giant red ant near the right rear bumper of the VW bus. It is no more.
IMG_0605.JPG

There won't be a lot going on there since it represents a townhouse that had a small fire on the upper floors and is currently unoccupied except for clean-up.
IMG_7180.JPG

Troy - Fortunately my HOA has only one member, ME! I am the president, treasurer and only voting member. It covers 15 acres and there's just one house, a barn and a train shed.
Patrick - Take in all of the green tomatoes before a frost, almost all, large or small will ripen.
Todd - That's too bad about all of the items that you were interested in were sold when you returned. I get "too good to be true" items the first go-around.
Sherrel - There are some things that HOA's are good for, others are a real PIA. A buddy of mine got written up for having a classic Mustang on blocks inside his rear entry garage. It was only because he had left the door open and was only visible from the alley. One of my brothers who lived in the same neighborhood got written up because he parked his pick up truck in the same spot two nights in a row. He had to move it around after that.

Everybody have a great day.

boy.....HOAs in my opinion be that it is a humble one lol.....HOAs suck!

I do not have one and never been in one thankfully but am very well aware of them and dealt with them when I was a City Project Manager in Florida for 10 years. Them people are nuts certifiably!

Here I live on a cozy rural neighborhood, I own several hundred acres else where in the mountains for my get away and hunting and other leisure. No issues there as it is all posted and well I do get a few trespassers but they do get caught. I have a network of cameras in various areas and great neighbors who also have lots of acreage surrounding me and they are like me. We want to be left alone and do not cotton to trespassers. We do throw the book at them to the full extent of the law.

Hope everyone is doing well. Tis the season for the fall foliage and it is in full swing and peaking here. I was up at camp all weekend until last night. Back to work and reality. I will be putting my boat away on the weekend of the 27th a little early this year but I have a few trips coming up. I bought some oil last week ugh! 300 gallons at $3.81.....terrible! Up even more from last year grrrrr. I will be burning more wood to compensate though. I have some stacking to do in the coming weeks.

On the train front.....I am working on some changes for my layout and I will be posting soon just need to get few more things going and done to share the progress. Purchases has simmered but I am always looking around.

Currently 101 days 12 hours and 22 minutes and 15 seconds.....counting down to the Big E Amherst Train Show in East Springfield MA...

Yup looking forward to that and a few smaller shows.

Ya'll have a good rest of the week!

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 56F Brrrr. I was bundled up before venturing outside. Remember I live in Central FL. The high today is supposed to be 71F. I did a couple of outside chores then came inside I took down the framed wall art (Robert Lyn Nelson prints) to clean the frames. It's something I do before Thanksgiving every year. I've received all of the detail parts I ordered and think the NESL order is due today.

James- Thanks for sharing. That was interesting about EMD.

Willie- Is that a scene from "Them"? 😲

I hope everyone has a good night.

So that’s 159 USD. Found these
View attachment 175477View attachment 175478View attachment 175479

Chris

You can pre-order a new but not anniversary WSOR at MidwestModelRR.com or 2 pre-owned Anniversary units. So by time u figure in shipping that might not be a bad price you are showing
EDIT

Model Train Market $242 inc. P+P and Import tax to the UK. is £198 £180
Midwest is $277 inc. P+P and Import tax to the UK. is £227 But that would be NIB so I'd expect to pay a premium.
And EvilBay is about $201 inc. P+P and Import tax to the UK is £164 (I couldn't actually find this one)

So yes, pricewise it is a reasonable price I suppose, but the photo's I've posted are the only two the sellers posted, think I'll ask for some more

Last edited:
There are some things that HOA's are good for, others are a real PIA. A buddy of mine got written up for having a classic Mustang on blocks inside his rear entry garage. It was only because he had left the door open and was only visible from the alley. One of my brothers who lived in the same neighborhood got written up because he parked his pick up truck in the same spot two nights in a row. He had to move it around after that.
I experienced Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions, (CCR), in Bowie MD. They are quite common in Metro DC, and have nothing to do with HOAs. Crap shit land use rules like not having external TV antennas, home business prohibition, etc. Few years ago,the wife and I were looking at 55+ housing in a development West of Charleston, SC, and I casually asked the builder's agent if she could provide me with a copy of the CCRs and Association Regulations that would affect us if we chose to buy. The "Salesface" disappeared, and her now chilly voice told me I would be provided with my "Rules" after closing...We told her that would be a bit late, as I wasn't going to buy in a location where I was uncomfortable. She would not budge, so we didn't buy....Don't know what kind of state secret she was protecting. Simply, I wanted to know what I was getting in to. Secondary question, I wonder what she was hiding from us...

My son relates that he observed the HOA Karen pull up, so he closed the garage door, and asked her her business. She had dismounted her golf cart and was walking up the driveway. She told my son that she was there to check the inside of his garage. He told her that she was on private property, and the content of his garage was neither of her or the HOA's concern. She left, sulking. Apparently, people let her look around...

Last edited:
Good afternoon! I used to post in Running Bear's Coffee Shop on the Model Railroader page sometime back. I've been out of touch for awhile and I just found this today. I'm in central Indiana (Tipton) along the old LE&W/NKP route (now NS). Been getting back into HO modeling after a few years off.

Afternoon all,

76° and sunny this afternoon.

Been busy here at this city today. but the slow kind of busy that makes for a long day.

Oldest granddaughter's 11th birthday today. We're having cake and such this evening. I did get my cabinet side cut and finished, but I'll be installing it before the party this evening. It solves 2 issues, gets rid of the mess the dog water bowls created over the years and makes a cheap inexpensive cabinet look more like a custom cabinet.

Good afternoon! I used to post in Running Bear's Coffee Shop on the Model Railroader page sometime back. I've been out of touch for awhile and I just found this today. I'm in central Indiana (Tipton) along the old LE&W/NKP route (now NS). Been getting back into HO modeling after a few years off.

I remember you there a few years ago, Welcome to here.

Afternoon all,

76° and sunny this afternoon.

Been busy here at this city today. but the slow kind of busy that makes for a long day.

Oldest granddaughter's 11th birthday today. We're having cake and such this evening. I did get my cabinet side cut and finished, but I'll be installing it before the party this evening. It solves 2 issues, gets rid of the mess the dog water bowls created over the years and makes a cheap inexpensive cabinet look more like a custom cabinet.

I remember you there a few years ago, Welcome to here.
Thanks!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back