Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning modelers, builders, homeowners, those that pay more to get the refund and those those pay in. weather will be dry in the low 50’s in So. Central WIsconsin.

Spent yesterday afternoon on campus watching #1 ranked UW Volleyball destroy Maryland. Like the #1 ranked and defending NCAA champion Badger Women’s hockey team I don’t know how good either team really is. Both have just steam rolled through the season which has included top 25 ranked teams and a few top 10. VB plays #12 Ohio State here at home on Wednesday and then #2 Nebraska there this week. The hockey team doesn’t play any more top 10 teams until December but have some top 25 in October and November. I see a great VB team with minor weakness but Hockey I see like last year superior offense, good but not great goaltending with a very young defense Corp. But I said the same thing last March when the #9 Badgers rolled everyone getting to the NCAA Championship. Then beating the #1 team (Minnesota) on Friday and the #2 ranked (Ohio State) on Sunday to win it all.

Today I will be in the train room mainly at the weathering bench. Today and tomorrow will be fade day. After I get the fading done over the next couple days it will be on to weathering each piece. I have enough to keep me busy through USA Thanksgiving.

Terry is talking the couple weeks after T-day to be spent on Maui. Maui opened fully last week to tourism and my brother who rarely agrees with the left says they are correct, they should wait until after Xmas but provide $ to the locals to help out. I was shocked when I heard that come over the phone! He has gone a few times to Terry’s stables to check on them and her employee family village has not gotten any bigger and still looks very neat. Her 3 employees had family that lost homes in the fires and are staying in a tent city by the stables.

Again if you want to help look up Maui Strong online.

enjoy the day

Good Morning All. A cool 45° here with an expected high later of 67°. Warm up begins tomorrow getting into the upper 80's by Friday. NWS is still predicting rain next week.

Still catching up with outside projects from the 2 1/2 month triple digit summer. Yesterday I did garden cleanup (still) and finished removing the remnants of a dead tree. The tree that the wind blew over last month set me behind on that kind of stuff.
I am not happy with the alignment event with the Accura today. Even though I have an appointment this morning, they want me to leave the car and they will call when it's ready. That means that we have to make two 25 mile round trips in the other car to drop it off and come back later to retrieve it. Gas may be sorta cheap here, but it ain't free.

Two projects going on right now in the train shed. The quarterly cleanup on the last 1/4 of the upper level is progressing, I moved a lot of trains out of and back into the staging yard to vacuum and give the track a quick cleaning. It doesn't really get dirty there as there is mostly stationary trains and not a lot of movement.
I also got back to the fence around the fuel distributor, getting the mesh completed along the front and the horizontal railings mostly done along the right side.
IMG_0598.JPG

The newly remodeled distributor received it's first customer as well.
IMG_0599.JPG

The scene is slowly coming together.
For that blank space that I referenced yesterday, I did start to measure and make markings on the layout. I have had some ideas and they all look like they will work out.

Terry - Thanks, but I have no need for a new computer, old one works just fine. No problems with my ISP either, we've used the same one since 1996 with no issues. I don't like the new authentication BS that some sites are coming up with, but most of the sites that I use let me opt out of it and use a simple log-in and password. Many of which I haven't changed in I don't know how many years.
Todd - I also like that Firefox saves my passwords. I don't know if other browsers do the same or not, since I haven't ever had a reason to switch. It also has a utility to copy them for transfer to a newer or different machine easily.
Sherrel and others - While I am active and relatively fit, I just don't see how you folks put up with stairs to the second floor or basement in some cases. Maybe you all just get used to it.
Troy - New door looks good. Doorbells??? Haven't had one in over 50 years. Prominently placed security cams, yes. However I had to disable the motion sensor because they send alerts every time a car goes up the road or the nearby leaves rustle in the wind.
Curt - Congratulations on the skunk award ribbons. I never realized that there were competitions.
The empty lot with the debris took me three days before I thought that it looked right. Add a little here, step back and look, and repeat many times.

Ironically, today was going to be Suzanne Somers 77th birthday. It is also the birthday of Bob Weir, the 76th for the overlooked Grateful Dead founding member and lead vocalist/guitarist.

Everyone have a great day.

SNOWMAN - I would appreciate if you would give me your contact info for the next time I have a plumbing job! I do not envy what you did! That was a lot of work. I am familiar with cast iron and clay drainage; every few years - at an Aunt's house - the line would have to be broken into in order to clear out roots ... what a mess!
Hah! You wish!

No, I actually go hide in that small hole under the sidewalk in case anyone asks me. Muddy, and it smells of mold (and other stuff I don't want to think about)...but at least I'm done. Only once in my life, I hope.

But good luck with yours! 😁

I have grumbled enough this morning. This morning, Rutgers-Howell Weather Station, recorded a low of 39°. Coldest it's been here since last Spring. Sunny and 62° today.
The Jets surprised the Eagles, the Browns beat the 49ers, only the Giant's couldn't pull off an upset over Buffalo. 4'39" left and a 9-7 lead and poof. they blow it...

Troy - New door looks good. Doorbells??? Haven't had one in over 50 years. Prominently placed security cams, yes. However I had to disable the motion sensor because they send alerts every time a car goes up the road or the nearby leaves rustle in the wind.
Reason for doorbell: Condo and HOA Regs... got to have them on both front and back.

Yes, HOA. We live here because SWMBO said so. Thus, I am cursed with an HOA. We had a very passive-aggressive flyer in our mailbox (everyone got one). Warning us that things like birdfeeders, and statuaries no matter how small, etc that are visible (including gate decor that are not season decorations like a solstice wreath) have to be approved by the architecture committee.

I chatted with a former HOA board member yesterday, who said their arch-committee got resurrected after being defunct for over a decade, because someone new moved in, and didn't like how much random decor is installed by the homeowners. She's on the same committee in her Florida community and wants this place to look like that place.

And that Florida Woman is the reason that board member resigned two months before his term ended. He'd had enough of her.

But, they've had turnover on the board, and a few vacancies are popping up. And the guy I was talking to said he's sat out his one cycle, and he can run again (he was term-limited and had to sit out a cycle).

Hate to say it, but I might run to. I like trolling obnoxious dictator types. and Florida Woman needs some trolling of an official nature.

Reason for doorbell: Condo and HOA Regs... got to have them on both front and back.

Yes, HOA. We live here because SWMBO said so.
You poor guy. The first appt. I was renting was in a comdominium community. And they had so called HOA. Weird thing was there were several rental agencies and my landlord could care less if i had my tools and car parts laying around my car as i was working on it. One lady who owned her place tried to bully me into obeying her rules. Since i did not own my appartment, i politely told her to F.O. That went over like a lead baloon😆. She couldn't do anything about it and that was what pissed her off the most. Needless to say that was a lesson i needed when buying my house- i did not listen to my at the time wife, or my dad, or anybody else for that matter. Wife is gone, dad is doing his thing and i have a house to my self. Heavy work had to be done on it, which i did. Only lighter work is left like finishing trim in the basement and some sidewalk work near the house. I get up, go outside, no traffic, forest all the way around, small half acre of grass to mow and no pesky neighboors. Lesson learned, where ever you are moving, make sure first that you'll be satisfied.

Morning all,

Walked in to 4 new hires starting this morning. Information sent about an hour after I left on Friday, so I was busy setting them up.

They say it's 44° currently with a sunny high of 66° later. So far we haven't had any frost, but I'll need to take the garden down this weekend. Hopefully I can get a few more tomatoes before then. Sadly the vines always do better at the end of the season, but never get a chance to ripen. I think this year I'll take the largest and see how they ripen on the countertop in the house.

The side of one of the base cabinets had some issues that I can't remedy by simply sanding down, so the 1/4" oak side came off and I'm creating a new one to fix it. It was nothing more than a cover to hide the cheap side material of the cabinet anyway, so once cut, stained, lacquered and put in place, it should look a ton better. Nothing like fixing builders mistakes 25 years later.

Good Morning All!
45F @ 80% and somewhat clear.

Train show was bust. Well, train show was good, bust for me. We went in about 1130 and I pretty much inventoried the place. Nothing stuck out as had to have right then. I almost pulled the trigger on 3 Proto E6A's ( GN ) then realized that I wanted/needed E6B's; $100 for all. Paint was foobar which wasn't a big deal. Went back about 1500 as there were a couple of items that I thought I would make an offer on. Flex track at $1 ft was one and thought I could offer down to a bulk buy. Ya, all of those items were gone. Oh well, next time.

They did have a rather large FreMo set up that looked to be about 100' x 50'. That was fun watching for awhile. One larger HO modular running big steam. The kids loved it ( I was one ).

Only a couple of pix as the phone needed charged and I did not know it.
1015231101.jpg

Gawd, and I thought that I had a ton of Brio track when younger.
1015231103.jpg

After this pix the camera died. 2 more rooms of stuff, 1 about this size, the other smaller.

All ages which was good. Folks walking out were indeed smiling big time with bags/boxes of stuff.

Later

Morning! 57 degrees and looking for a 91 high with sunny skies and "light" Santa Anna winds - hope they stay light - things are pretty dry around here.

HOA's -- I have lived in many - mostly with no problems. Note I said mostly! I am on the board pf ours here and for the past 6-9 months we have had two neighbors (who don't like each other) giving us fits!
It's a long drawn out story and started with a fence, jointly shared, that was falling down and this widowed lady did not want to pay for replacing her half and so ... the other party replaced the whole fence but built it a few inches on to their property. Now the other is making us miserable by saying that the HOA is not enforcing our own rules (that joint fences are joint owned). GO FIGURE!
The war has escalated into extensions to the height, flood lights being aimed at each other, and security cameras being pointed into each others yard.

NOW - we are a small group of homeowners, only 120 in total, and low, low, monthly fees of $45.00 mostly to pay for maintaining a lengthy walking trail, a couple of small lots for a few park benches. In 15 years there has been harmony among everyone up to this woman's husband passing around the first of the year - and she decides to make everyone share in her misery!

Stay tuned for more drama!

Morning! 57 degrees and looking for a 91 high with sunny skies and "light" Santa Anna winds - hope they stay light - things are pretty dry around here.

HOA's -- I have lived in many - mostly with no problems. Note I said mostly! I am on the board pf ours here and for the past 6-9 months we have had two neighbors (who don't like each other) giving us fits!
It's a long drawn out story and started with a fence, jointly shared, that was falling down and this widowed lady did not want to pay for replacing her half and so ... the other party replaced the whole fence but built it a few inches on to their property. Now the other is making us miserable by saying that the HOA is not enforcing our own rules (that joint fences are joint owned). GO FIGURE!
The war has escalated into extensions to the height, flood lights being aimed at each other, and security cameras being pointed into each others yard.

NOW - we are a small group of homeowners, only 120 in total, and low, low, monthly fees of $45.00 mostly to pay for maintaining a lengthy walking trail, a couple of small lots for a few park benches. In 15 years there has been harmony among everyone up to this woman's husband passing around the first of the year - and she decides to make everyone share in her misery!

Luckily, I've never been in an HOA. I suppose there is some good, but you always hear the negative,

You're a brave soul for being on the board of one! Seems someone is going to be upset with you no matter how hard you try.

Last edited:
Good Morning All!
45F @ 80% and somewhat clear.

Train show was bust. Well, train show was good, bust for me. We went in about 1130 and I pretty much inventoried the place. Nothing stuck out as had to have right then. I almost pulled the trigger on 3 Proto E6A's ( GN ) then realized that I wanted/needed E6B's; $100 for all. Paint was foobar which wasn't a big deal. Went back about 1500 as there were a couple of items that I thought I would make an offer on. Flex track at $1 ft was one and thought I could offer down to a bulk buy. Ya, all of those items were gone. Oh well, next time.

They did have a rather large FreMo set up that looked to be about 100' x 50'. That was fun watching for awhile. One larger HO modular running big steam. The kids loved it ( I was one ).

Only a couple of pix as the phone needed charged and I did not know it.
View attachment 175465
Gawd, and I thought that I had a ton of Brio track when younger.
View attachment 175466

After this pix the camera died. 2 more rooms of stuff, 1 about this size, the other smaller.

All ages which was good. Folks walking out were indeed smiling big time with bags/boxes of stuff.

Later
There's Free-mo. There's Free-moN. And then there's Free-moBRIO.

It rolls off the tongue pretty well, actually. :D

There's a classic Polish three part movie about nieghboors having a feud. Action starts at the end of war (WW II) and continues untill 1970s. Absolutely hilarious and every Polish person either heard about it or watched several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back