Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday was gorgeous in the 80’s with a slight breeze. Had the windows open, 2 ceiling fans going along with the whole house furnace fan. Today, well the furnance is running heat, it dropped in the house below 68 and I have a fleece hoodie on.

I have been to the big box store. Purchased a couple latches and routed out the boards I will use them on. The whole process is doable but price wise I think the client may balk. The 11’ building is looking to be about $30 to 40 per foot, unpainted. Evergreen styrene has gone up.

Last edited:
The new CCRR benchwork was launched this afternoon. It's a total success! Five photos to explain the very complicated construction process. The previous CCRR layout has been carefully stored vertically, as you can see. I am very happy with the result !

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Have not made a house update for a while.

We've got most of the foam up for the last bit to the roof. Just a few layers on the back wall. Then we need to put in vracing, strapping, etc and vertical and horizontal window support etc to support a concrete pour. Originally we wanted to pour this week but will probably be next week due to the amount of bracing and other prep work that needs to be done.

The framers have been busy working on the interior.

Here is where the train room will be -- between the two bits that jut out (away from the viewer) here. It looks longer than it is due to photo perspective but is good size. This is above the wider shorter garage.

IMG_2717.jpeg

Here are a few random shots from the last 7-10 days (so not all are the very state of the project but could be a week old) showing framing and front of house foam etc.

IMG_2716.jpegIMG_2709.jpegIMG_2707.jpegIMG_2706.jpegIMG_2703.jpeg

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

It hasn't been a great day. I got up around 3 am for the bathroom and had a vertigo episode. After getting back in bed I got up around 8 am still with it but sitting and staring at something it subsided. The strange thing is I wasn't bothered by it laying down with open eyes. I did a couple of chores and finished the five trees. Around lunch time I started getting lightheaded, so I laid down for a nap. Three hours later I'm feeling better. All my vital signs are fine, and my EKG on Friday was normal so I'm thinking an inner ear issue.

Karl- Great layout shot and looking benchwork.

Willie- Nice scenes and it looks like your garden is really coming along.

Troy- I'm the same way. If the family wants something they know to ask me.

TomO- Good luck with the new project.

Louis- I remember similar buses in El Paso as a kid.

Christian- We have a Clermont about 25 minutes from me. Nice progress shots.

Chad- Great progress on the house.

I hope everyone has a good night.

My neighbor's father works for Phillip's Electronics. He says their a good company but slow in getting products to market and always seem to get beat out by other competitors
Swal.
Well you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time.
I am methodical in my work, measure 3 times cut once. I hate doing a job twice. Nor am I in competition with any electronics firm or anything /anyone else racing an item to market.
Maybe I should have said "Slow and steady wins the race for me." You do it your way and I'll do it mine. 🙂🙂

Well you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time.
I am methodical in my work, measure 3 times cut once. I hate doing a job twice. Nor am I in competition with any electronics firm or anything /anyone else racing an item to market.
Maybe I should have said "Slow and steady wins the race for me." You do it your way and I'll do it mine. 🙂🙂
John I made the comment "I'm not so sure about that one" because in the high-rise construction business I was in for over 25 years was not what anyone wanted to hear. You did the job fast and right or down the road you would go. At home it works. Going slow is fine but it doesn't work in many other places. I know it does work in Quarter horse racing. Either your fast or you're not.
George

Last edited:
I'm swearing off solid food. Friday I had the crown put in from the tooth I broke last month. Tonight I broke a tooth on other side chewing on Wheat Chex cereal. No milk, just crunching on them. Just paid $650 for my portion of the last one. I really don't need to spend another $650 again. Makes the $299 dentures another dentist is advertising sound like a deal. Expensive spring so far...🙁

I should have said "Slow and steady wins the race for me." You do it your way and I'll do it mine.
I'm in the slow and steady camp myself. I hate doing things over. That's why I might look at a blank 2'x2' space on the layout for 2 years (or longer), before deciding what and how to do something. All of my benchwork took 3 years total, but part of that is that is because I laid track after completing 20' or so and ran trains back and forth!;)

I guess I live in a different world than most people. In 1984 a carpenter friend and myself started work on a IBM the construction site in Somer NY. On the second day on the way home my friend said, they told me to either move a little faster or go home. That's the mind set your in until you get your 30 thousand hours in and retire.
Swal

Well, howdy there internet Speedy People, and slow tortoises!

It's Troy again.

I'm on the get'r'done side of the equation. But, I also channel my inner squirrel and leap from project to project, depending on which deadline is approaching, or who is screaming the loudest. And sometimes which new shiny is sparkly in the sun. That's part of my #1 Adaptability in my personality makeup.

Either way, there is no right or wrong. Just adjust your "good enough" for each situation.

The purchase from Fleabay arrived yesterday. Shoutout to whomever the seller was. Arrived in good shape and very timely.

I added the Makers Mark and the glass
345924368_921904215593456_1708450709781384587_n.jpg

I noticed this book was published in the era when font size didn't matter. Modelers of the older stripe just had to squint harder. I don't think they got down to 6 pt type, but some 8pt wouldn't surprise me.

Morning all,

66° and clear this morning with a high later of 86°. Storms predicted for our area last night manifested 100+ miles east, and even then were marginally severe. Likewise the rain predicted for this morning probably won't happen. Looks like late evening into the overnight is when they MAY occur. Frankly even then the amounts we may get aren't hardly enough to knock the dust down on the gravel roads.

Gotta call the dentist when they open and see how quick I can give them more money. The wife asked me how many more teeth are without crowns and I replied not many.

BBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back