Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
So these charging stations on the PA turnpike how fast do they charge. Are you there for hours charging your auto? That's doesn't work. These electric cars are perfect for my wife. She only drives 400 miles a year.
George
Charging rates at a super charger will get you back on the road in less than an hour if your coast into the charging point with lights barely glowing.
There are three levels of charging available. Super charger, the fastest charging rate. You can run your Tesla Model S about 300 miles per hour. In other words, a charge rate that will gather about 300 miles in less than 1 hour.
Level 2 charger you can usually install at your home. Requires a 60 Amp flow and will charge your Tesla Model S in about 12 hours. Your charge rate will be about 20 - 25 miles per hour.
Level 1 charger, the slowest. It's basically an extension cord plugged into a wall outlet. Typical charge rate is about 8 miles per hour. In other words, your car will gather about 8 miles of range after charging for 1 hour.
Once again, it's not like you are going to be able to choose which you like best, gas or electric. The administration has made it clear. We will be going to electric vehicles, soon. It will be very expensive and with great punishment for those who refuse to make the change. They will tax the snot out of gasoline. They will tax the snot out of yearly gasoline vehicle registration. They will tax the snot out of gasoline vehicle insurance. They will severely limit gas stations. If ya have the deep pockets and lots of time, keep your gas vehicle.
I keep hearing people say, "I'm not going electric. That's just not my way". Yeah, OK, I hear ya. We have voted ourselves into a corner that we aren't going to get out of, all for the sake of, "Let the other guy worry about things for me. I don't do politics" . Well, your appeasement for politics got ya what ya didn't expect. Ya let someone else speak for ya because ya didn't want to get involved. Politics is too confusing for ya, besides, Homer Simpson is coming on in half an hour and I don't have time to study the issue.
All I can say now is, "Suck it up, because it's here".

Last edited:
Some info on charging:

There are multiple fast charger standards

Tesla has their SuperCharger network for Teslas.

Electrify America has their network which is open to anyone. https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger/ They support both L2 and fast charging.

There are also other networks, most of which I've seen only support L2.

EVs are still bleeding edge in terms of who should adopt them as a main vehicle.

Charging rates at a super charger will get you back on the road in less than an hour if your coast into the charging point with lights barely glowing.
There are three levels of charging available. Super charger, the fastest charging rate. You can run your Tesla Model S about 300 miles per hour. In other words, a charge rate that will gather about 300 miles in less than 1 hour.
Level 2 charger you can usually install at your home. Requires a 60 Amp flow and will charge your Tesla Model S in about 12 hours. Your charge rate will be about 20 - 25 miles per hour.
Level 1 charger, the slowest. It's basically an extension cord plugged into a wall outlet. Typical charge rate is about 8 miles per hour. In other words, your car will gather about 8 miles of range after charging for 1 hour.
Once again, it's not like you are going to be able to choose which you like best, gas or electric. The administration has made it clear. We will be going to electric vehicles, soon. It will be very expensive and with great punishment for those who refuse to make the change. They will tax the snot out of gasoline. They will tax the snot out of yearly gasoline vehicle registration. They will tax the snot out of gasoline vehicle insurance. They will severely limit gas stations. If ya have the deep pockets and lots of time, keep your gas vehicle.
I keep hearing people say, "I'm not going electric. That's just not my way". Yeah, OK, I hear ya. We have voted ourselves into a corner that we aren't going to get out of, all for the sake of, "Let the other guy worry about things for me. I don't do politics" . Well, your appeasement for politics got ya what ya didn't expect. Ya let someone else speak for ya because ya didn't want to get involved. Politics is too confusing for ya, besides, Homer Simpson is coming on in half an hour and I don't have time to study the issue.
All I can say now is, "Suck it up, because it's here".
If you ever visited Myrtle Beach everyone drives around town in their golf cart. That's where I want to live.
This is how I want to suck it up.
George

It is funny that EV's are the dinner's topic of the day. I got the following in an email. I have not verified any of the statements, but many seem to be logical.

The utility companies have thus far had little to say about the alarming cost projections to operate electric vehicles (EVs) or the increased rates that they will be required to charge their customers. It is not just the total amount of electricity required, but the transmission lines and fast charging capacity that must be built at existing filling stations. Neither wind nor solar can support any of it. Electric vehicles will never become the mainstream of transportation!

In order to match the 2,000 cars that a typical filling station can service in a busy 12 hours, an EV charging station would require 600, 50-watt chargers at an estimated cost of $24 million and a supply of 30 megawatts of power from the grid. That is enough to power 20,000 homes. No one likely thinks about the fact that it can take 30 minutes to 8 hours to recharge a vehicle between empty or just topping off. What are the drivers doing during that time?
ICSC-Canada board member and New Zealand-based consulting engineer Bryan Leyland describes why installing electric car charging stations in a city is impractical:
“If you’ve got cars coming into a petrol station, they would stay for an average of five minutes. If you’ve got cars coming into an electric charging station, they would be at least 30 minutes, possibly an hour, but let’s say it's 30 minutes. So that’s six times the surface area to
park the cars while they’re being charged. Multiply every petrol station in a city by six. Where are you going to find the places to put them?”
The government of the United Kingdom is already starting to plan for power shortages caused by the charging of thousands of EVs. Starting in June 2022, the government will restrict the time of day you can charge your EV battery. To do this, they will employ smart meters that are programmed to automatically switch off EV charging in peak times to avoid potential blackouts.

In particular, the latest UK chargers will be pre-set to not function during 9-hours of peak loads, from 8am to 11am (3-hours) and 4pm to 10pm (6-hours). Unbelievably, the UK technology decides when and if an EV can be charged and even allows EV batteries to be drained into the UK grid if required. Imagine charging your car all night only to discover in the morning that your battery is flat since the state took the power back. Better keep your gas-powered car as a reliable and immediately available backup! While EV charging will be an attractive source of revenue generation for the government, American citizens will be up in arms.

Used Car Market
The average used EV will need a new battery before an owner can sell it, pricing them well above used internal combustion cars. The average age of an American car on the road is 12 years. A 12-year-old EV will be on its third battery. A Tesla battery typically costs $10,000, so there will not be many 12-year-old EVs on the road. Good luck trying to sell your used green fairy tale electric car!

Tuomas Katainen, an enterprising Finish Tesla owner, had an imaginative solution to the battery replacement problem - he blew up his car! New York City-based Insider magazine reported (December 27, 2021):
“The shop told him the faulty battery needed to be replaced at a cost of about $22,000. In addition to the hefty fee, the work would need to be authorized by Tesla. Rather than shell out half the cost of a new Tesla to fix an old one, Katainen decided to do something different. The demolition experts from the YouTube channel Pommijätkät (Bomb Dudes) strapped 66 pounds of high explosives to the car and surrounded the area with slow-motion camera ... the 14 hotdog-shaped charges erupt into a blinding ball of fire sending a massive shockwave rippling out from the car. The videos of the explosion have a combined 5 million views.”
We understand that the standard Tesla warranty does not cover “damage resulting from intentional actions,” like blowing the car up for a YouTube video.

EVs Per Block In Your Neighborhood
A home charging system for a Tesla requires a 75-amp service. The average house is equipped with 100-amp service. On most suburban streets, the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than three houses with a single Tesla. For half the homes on your block to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly overloaded.

Batteries

Although the modern lithium-ion battery is four times better than the old lead-acid battery, gasoline holds 80 times the energy density. The great lithium battery in your cell phone weighs less than an ounce while the Tesla battery weighs 1,000 pounds. And what do we get for this huge cost and weight? We get a car that is far less convenient and less useful than cars powered by internal combustion engines. Bryan Leyland explained why:
“When the Model T came out, it was a dramatic improvement on the horse and cart. The electric car is a step backward into the equivalence of an ordinary car with a tiny petrol tank that takes half an hour to fill. It offers nothing in the way of convenience or extra facilities.”
Our Conclusion
The electric automobile will always be around in a niche market likely never exceeding 10% of the cars on the road. All automobile manufacturers are investing in their output and all will be disappointed in their sales. Perhaps they know this and will manufacture just what they know they can sell. This is certainly not what President Biden or California Governor Newsom are planning for. However, for as long as the present government is in power, they will be pushing the electric car as another means to run our lives. We have a chance to tell them exactly what we think of their expensive and dangerous plans when we go to the polls in November of 2022

Good morning, all! It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, would you be, could you be my neighbor.
Breakfast burritos please, extra salsa.
The weather being so nice, with a comfortable humidity level I will be mowing and edging getting the place ready for spring. I have several other chores that need to be done over the coming weeks before it gets to hot and humid.
I should get maybe an hour later today to work on AC Brown.

Phone - I seem to use my phone more and more like a computer and notebook. I was lucky enough to find a Samsung Note 20 for 1/2 price. It is a little more than I need, but I use it a lot.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Hello again,

EV's as much as I'm likely to own one sometime in the future, it won't be the immediate future. Although I don't travel out of state as often anymore since the parents aren't in Michigan anymore. I could handle a charger on my house as I have 200 amp service into the main panel and a 100 amp secondary panel already in the garage. At some point a previous owner was working on cars and had a bunch of heavy circuits put in. I currently use just the lights, a circuit for the freezer and the sprinkler system controller. There is a 50 amp breaker going to a hot tub (according to the writing in the box), but I have now idea where it goes.

2020.2.12-Flooded-bays-2-C.jpg

And you thought smoking at a gas station was dangerous!
But seriously, I'm surprised nobody has brought up the environmental disaster that the mining for the lithium for the batteries is causing.

Also, working at a GM dealership, the EVs so far have been a bust. As good as the Volt was at giving people a taste of an electric/gas hybrid, the Bolt that came after is/was a disaster. The cars have caught fire so much they have been recalled to have the batteries replaced, prompting the dealerships servicing them to have to purchase forklift capable of carrying 3,000 pounds to service these small cars. Eventually with the electric Silverado, a bigger forklift will be needed, a 10,000 pound capacity unit. Of course, the dealership will have to pay for it, so get ready for a labor rate increase! With all the additional handling and storage and disposal of the batteries, plus the additional tech training so that the tech doesn't electrocute himself, all I can say is good luck finding someone to work on them. I have 1 tech willing to work on them. Everyone else said no way, I'd rather work sweeping the floor or retire altogether. Even the young apprentices don't want to fool with them.

Here we are in a semi rural area, trucks rule around here, 80% of our sales are either Silverados, Colorados, Tahoes and Suburbans. There are a lot of commercial vehicles in here daily. I don't see EVs taking over that business soon. I will be long retired by then!

Good afternoon,

Just finished my ham and swiss sandwich, but ready for a nice steaming cup of coffee. Thanks, Flo.

It is +9°, headed for near 32°. Sounds like we may get slush falling out of the sky Saturday.

Phones: I have a Galaxy 12, bought it about 4 months ago when my Apple SE finally quit. For me, if it emails, texts, and gets internet I am happy. The Galaxy is fine for that. However, when I use my Wifes Apple SE I feel like I have to turn my brain sideways. Hard to explain, but whenever I go from Apple to Android it seems "funny".

Electric Cars: No one knows how the added electricity we need to charge all these cars is going to be transmitted. Something everyone is ignoring for now. There are constantly fights here when new powerlines are proposed, ever wonder how many new powerlines we will need with electric cars? And what about the power surge when everyone gets to work and plugs in their car so they can drive home? The Level 3 power ports are the fastest, but not universally available, and what happens when several cars are charging at once. I guess we will all automatically plug in our cars at different times so there is no power surge?

Trains:

This photo came from my archives. The building is a Walthers kit. I still have it, not sure if it will fit anywhere on the layout, however.

oil tank 004.JPG

The trees are "Super Trees", which is a wild plant that is boxed up. You trim it yourselves, add foliage and paint as you desire. I really like them.

More later, Dave LASM

I suspect BEV (Battery EV) vehicles are a passing phase to something like a fuel cell EV (better than current fuel cells). New tech being worked on. I don't ever see BEV being the mainstream.

I do really like my PHEV (plugin hybrid EV). The Audi A3 e-tron sportback (2016 model is the one I have, their first year -- they ended in 2019 or 2020 though they have later Audi models that are similar PHEV). It has a souped up version of the VW 1.4 turbo in it plus enough battery power to go (when new) 22-24 miles EV only if you don't drive with a lead foot (and depending on A/C heater use and if it is relatively flat or up and down large hills etc). Most of my driving is around town so the normal gas engine only comes on if I have to drive further or I have multiple trips. My electricity rate has not changed even though gasoline prices are up tremendously. So my normal around town driving on electric power saves me a ton (relatively speaking). But if I need to go longer I can. I have a gasoline engine and a 10.5 -- 11 gallon tank. When I replace this in 4 years or so (now 5.5 years old) I'll get an EV.

But this is not our main family car. That is a gasoline VW (used to be Volvo until it was hit by an idiot driver and we "downsized" to the VW... The wife drives that and we use it as the family car when we drive anywhere outside of a few miles together as a family. Like on trips etc.

BTW, I charge my Audi on the normal 120V service. Takes about 6.5 hours but I just do it overnight. The batter is 1/10 of the size of a large tesla battery and it works for me. I plan on having at least one 240V 60amp circuit and a 240v 30amp circuit added to our garage in the new house in addition to normal 120v circuits to support future EV chargers.

I just seen an ad for Chevy's new electric powered truck. It has a 400 mile range before needing a charge. So what happens when I go on my golf vacation to myrtle beach which is 721 miles away? I notice they didn't mention the price in the ad. I paid $26.000.00 for my Nissan Fronter in 2016 which has just about everything. I bet it's more than double the price?
Oh at least double the price, probably more like 3 times. Last year I got the Ford F150 Hybrid with promise of 24 mpg, with power boost for pulling the trailer. It doesn't get nearly that good mileage, and it can't run more than 5-6 miles on electric. It can certainly zoom (my wife raced a corvette the other day and won - her story), and it can certainly pull the trailer (about 5 tons) effortlessly but it sucks so much fuel doing it. I've gone back to the old V8 F150 and V8 Suburban for pulling. Much more economical.

Oh at least double the price, probably more like 3 times. Last year I got the Ford F150 Hybrid with promise of 24 mpg, with power boost for pulling the trailer. It doesn't get nearly that good mileage, and it can't run more than 5-6 miles on electric. It can certainly zoom (my wife raced a corvette the other day and won - her story), and it can certainly pull the trailer (about 5 tons) effortlessly but it sucks so much fuel doing it. I've gone back to the old V8 F150 and V8 Suburban for pulling. Much more economical.
Well I learned a lot about electrics cars today. I think I'll keep my Nissan until the speedometer hit's 120K. It's at 52,000 now. If I move to Myrtle Beach someday, I'll buy an electric golf cart to go shopping, golfing, to the beach etc.
George

So I would need to be charging for 12 hours to finish the remaining 321 miles of the trip. Let me know when the charging time is cut down to 15 minutes and I'll consider buying one. That way I can get a cup of coffee, go to the bathroom etc and be on my way. What's the charging fee?
George
That's the many problems with theses electric cars.

You cannot get any range that is reliable over 300 miles. No matter what the manufacturer suggest it can do. I have yet to see anyone go over that bench mark and unequivocally say they can count on the remaining mile to do just that. So if you are traveling you have to factor in all the time to re-charge which is time lost if you are traveling like most Americans do when crossing the country. These cars are only good for city slash metropolitan type driving. There is no way I would caught driving these things anytime soon. Going on vacation and doing 1200 mile plus nope no can do. Back country nope....national parks nope..... I been saying hydrogen cars are the way to go. Besides if you get in a car wreck in an electric car the whole dang thing is a toxic mass of hazardous material. God forbid you are trapped in them damn things. FD won't even touch them with all the toxic fumes etc. We have a long long long way to go for these cars to evolve into something more efficient and safe.

Another thing people say well we don't need oil? BS every piece of plastic is made from petroleum products meaning oil. No matter what we will always use and need oil.

I have friends and acquaintances with Teslas who have driven them cross country. They've drunk the Kool-Aid so will tell you that it works and is no problem. (including into and through the Rockies)

With proper planning you probably can do it. Make sure you know where the charging stations are, and plan where you want to "fill up". Make it coincide with your bathroom/snack/lunch stops. Even though it takes 5 minutes to fill a gas tank, most of us on longer trips make longer stops to stretch, eat, pee, etc.

Personally I am not convinced yet that BEV are ready for prime time as a main / only vehicle and not just a vehicle for your local area use.

Good morning, all! It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, would you be, could you be my neighbor.
Breakfast burritos please, extra salsa.
The weather being so nice, with a comfortable humidity level I will be mowing and edging getting the place ready for spring. I have several other chores that need to be done over the coming weeks before it gets to hot and humid.
I should get maybe an hour later today to work on AC Brown.

Phone - I seem to use my phone more and more like a computer and notebook. I was lucky enough to find a Samsung Note 20 for 1/2 price. It is a little more than I need, but I use it a lot.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Yup the Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G is what I have which is an incredible phone. I used to have the Galaxy S7 before this as I had it well about 8 years before going to the new Note20 Ultra. I chose the Note 20 Ultra because it was the last phone to use the Micro SD card and well I am not a fan of the "cloud". This phone is pretty darn powerful multitasker!

I use it all the time even for a hot spot on my laptop etc. Works great!

Don't get me confused with someone who is saying EVs are a good idea. I really don't think they are, however, behind closed doors in our nation's capital, this has already been decided for us while most voters were watching Homer Simpson because politics isn't their thing. The skids are greased. The payoffs are already projected. This has already been taken care of for you.
Makes ya wonder what the next thing is that they will take care of for us. Think 401k distributions, but that's OK. Next episode of Homer Simpson should be very entertaining.

I have friends and acquaintances with Teslas who have driven them cross country. They've drunk the Kool-Aid so will tell you that it works and is no problem. (including into and through the Rockies)

With proper planning you probably can do it. Make sure you know where the charging stations are, and plan where you want to "fill up". Make it coincide with your bathroom/snack/lunch stops. Even though it takes 5 minutes to fill a gas tank, most of us on longer trips make longer stops to stretch, eat, pee, etc.

Personally I am not convinced yet that BEV are ready for prime time as a main / only vehicle and not just a vehicle for your local area use.
Can't pull a camper or boat so no good for me......

Afternoon All,

Started out at VA with the eye doctor. Ordered a new pair of glasses. I usually have to pay for the transition lenses which are my sunglasses, but the doc found 3 new freckles on my eyes o_O (never heard of that before) and said I really need sunglasses so authorized the VA to pay for it. So, the bottom line is new glasses are no cost with a very in-depth exam including photos of the inside of my eyes.

After getting home I did a couple of chores then went to the train room, soldered some wires and connected the lighting for the icehouse, office and platform. If I remember I'll take a photo when it gets dark. I almost forgot that I mounted the road and parking lot. The UR-93 came in a little bit ago. I'll read up on it tonight and put it in tomorrow.

Hughie- That is really nice. The red is a great choice for a contrast color.

Karl- I'm glad Bud is doing better.

Jaz- Great before and after photos.

George- They do that here in the historical downtown area and surrounding housing areas.

Dave- Nice layout scene.

James- I also wonder where people think most of our country's electricity comes from?

I hope everyone has a good night.

Can't pull a camper or boat so no good for me......
Good shot from the hip without knowing the details.
A Tesla Model Y can be fitted with a tow bar rated at 3500lbs. The S model can pull 5000lbs. The Cyber truck can out pull a Ford F-150 and will have a range of over 500 miles. The Ford Electric truck has trailer capability, but I don't know right off hand what it is.

That's the many problems with theses electric cars.

You cannot get any range that is reliable over 300 miles. No matter what the manufacturer suggest it can do. I have yet to see anyone go over that bench mark and unequivocally say they can count on the remaining mile to do just that. So if you are traveling you have to factor in all the time to re-charge which is time lost if you are traveling like most Americans do when crossing the country. These cars are only good for city slash metropolitan type driving. There is no way I would caught driving these things anytime soon. Going on vacation and doing 1200 mile plus nope no can do. Back country nope....national parks nope..... I been saying hydrogen cars are the way to go. Besides if you get in a car wreck in an electric car the whole dang thing is a toxic mass of hazardous material. God forbid you are trapped in them damn things. FD won't even touch them with all the toxic fumes etc. We have a long long long way to go for these cars to evolve into something more efficient and safe.

Another thing people say well we don't need oil? BS every piece of plastic is made from petroleum products meaning oil. No matter what we will always use and need oil.
The Swede's are trialing a system where you drive into a booth, a computer/robot removes your used battery and replaces it with a fully charged one, takes about 5mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back