Running Bear's February 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1700 arrested early on,many Russians stayed after the 2014 conflict,and are either part of the breakaway movement, or have close family ties to Russians.
Russia did have one genuine grouch back in the day when the USSR broke up it was agreed verbally that NATO would not take Eastern European countries into NATO and when they did and Russia complained, NATO said - should have gotten it in writing. But Russia has a belief if you verbally make a pact you stand by it although Putins lies under minded that - I bet he justified it with you lied first,
Not that I sympathise with Putin I think at 70 he’s reached a stage where he plans to go out with a bang, which is pretty scary, he has spoken before about taking back USSR countries and he wants a lot of sea access, and he has for years shrouded his family from public view, so I personally think this was always coming, which if true means nuclear could be on the table,and that would be a whole new ball game.
The results don’t bear thinking about, and both sides have yet to attack social and business internet,and as Russia gets more and more hammered is also on the cards.
I am considering, not altogether jokingly either,about building a bloody bunker in case he nukes London and the wind pushes pulls the fallout out way. now where are the plans for an American style root cellar!
It seems Putin has put his Nuclear forces on alert, which is scary and Belarus has agreed to let Russia base nuclear weapons in the country, I dont think it will go that far, he's trying to get the west to blink first. More worrisome is Belarus committing forces to invade Ukraine as well.

Another night of less than usual sleep! Once again I seem to have my days and nights mixed up.
We are forecast to have 80F today - up from an overnight low of 46F - clear, bright, and sunny skies.
I have a dental appointment around noon. Spousal Unit is insisting on a "new" set of dentures. I hate to spend the money, but if it makes her happy? I think she is tired of watching me "Super Glue" them back together.

WILLIE - The SLSF SW1 #10 started out as a Great Northern unit back in 1941, and traded through several roads before being picked up for its work at the ferry operation in Mobile. It was "new" to the Frisco in 1979 and had been towed from the Springfield shops where it had been completely overhauled and painted.

I have been using the jigsaw paint mixer for 30 years plus - works great except when a glass bottle comes flying out of the clamp and really makes a mess when it strikes a harder object! Caution is advised!

Just been watching the news this morning before I head off back to work after having a well deserved break. Seems this Ukraine invasion is not going down well with the Russian people either, arresting people opposed to it, saw a women, must have been in her 60's being arrested by police.
Putin has made several serious miscalculations.
The Ukrainians have shown the world they are ready and maybe more importantly, they are willing!
It seems Putin's forces have little or no will to fight. They bought into his lies, until they crossed the borders and saw the truth with their own eyes.
This is the madness I referred to. It's madness to surround yourself with sycophants. To allow yourself to be isolated from reality with no rational advisors is madness.

It seems Putin has put his Nuclear forces on alert, which is scary and Belarus has agreed to let Russia base nuclear weapons in the country, I dont think it will go that far, he's trying to get the west to blink first. More worrisome is Belarus committing forces to invade Ukraine as well.
Putin is desperate, he may be all in on this gamble.
He has manipulated the Russian people with lies, false flag operations, assassinations, corruption, even mass murder and more lies.
He has always had the slightest believability or plausible deniability, not this time.
Why are people so eager to believe lies?

Morning fellers. Start to a new week. Went to my LHS Saturday. Finally decided to start buying up my track. New builds have to start somewhere right? Owner advised me that I may want to purchase my track now before his next shipment comes in. He figures that he will have to raise his prices again. The LHS has always had the best prices for track. I seldomly if ever buy track online. I find the prices are just a little too high for my liking. Anyways I walked away with 12 pieces of flex for $60. I have had a good start on turnouts already. I accepted the loss on my current layout some time ago. So I started buying up track as needed. Before I get too carried away I probably need to download track laying software. Not going to do this one free hand as I'm going away from the sacred sheet. So I guess I'll look into that later today after work. My DB150 made it to Digitrax. I tracked it closely. So now it's the wait game. I haven't worked on the GP7 as of yet. I toyed with it some Friday. I didn't come up with much of anything. Probably best to fully disassemble the thing. Make sure the gears are good and the worm gear functions as it should. Check the can motor too. Not like there's much that can be off with these. Well that's all I have for now. I'll stop by again when I get a chance.

Morning all,

Clear and 30° going for a high in the upper 60's. Tomorrow through the rest of the week, highs in the 70's touching 80° on Wednesday.

Got some train time and worked on a couple of small items.

Finally finished the GP I bought the train horns for at the train show a few weeks back. I think they fit and look fine.
20220227_144916.jpg

Engine finished and on the rails:
20220227_145929.jpg

20220227_145936.jpg

Horns fit tight and look so close to what the instructions had shown. While I spent a $1 a piece for them, I was looking at $9.00 + anywhere from $5.00 up on shipping for a box of 6, I think I did ok. I did clean the flash off the big end of the horns. This if you recall was the engine I built the railing for.

2nd project was cleaning off the workspace. I still had wood pieces I wanted to keep from the dismantling of the old bridge, so now that is stacked where I can use it again.

3rd project I'll mention here but put the pictures on my layout. I think other than the landscaping, I'm closer to having my small bridge project complete.

Jaz: Where'd you get the pictures of my layout site?

Rene: Welcome to the coffee house.

BBL

Putin is desperate, he may be all in on this gamble.
He has manipulated the Russian people with lies, false flag operations, assassinations, corruption, even mass murder and more lies.
He has always had the slightest believability or plausible deniability, not this time.
Why are people so eager to believe lies?
Mmm, don't think the majority do, more case of "you'll believe what we tell you", as everything is state owned they have no other reference point. But the Russians know there being lied to, they are not idiots, but there is little they can do, if they protest, their arrested at best, at worst ??????

Well, howdy there internet people. Slept in real good this morning. Didn't wake until after 8a. That was after getting up at 2 with a headache. Drank a glass of water and took an ibuprofen. Me and the cat settled into the recliner and lights until then.

For those worried about feeding Europe.... look to the west. There's a really big country whose former Pres disrupted the agricultural sector's export relationships. Bet our guys on tractors might like to ship a bunch of grain your way.

And for Terry... you're just being toooooo good at what you do. Nice to see someone appreciate it.

Troy thank you. I was watching this guy before dinner.I watched it again from you. Everything he talked about, using 15 paints when you have many more then that and not shaking the bottles enough is why I really want one. I appreciate the help

TomO
Mixing your own paints has advantages, I do it by hand all the time, for weathering purposes or colouring individual items, BUT doing this for liveries can be very tricky

ensure you do whole bottles,as part bottles can end up with different levels of pigment in them even when shaken,
then when you make a second batch the colour does not match!

Again if you plan to weather the livery, or some of the livery you might get away with it, but on a layout with slightly different shades,unless your time line allows for the fading to be argued, you leave yourself open to comments over poor painting.

That said I like the idea, and think it worthy of having a go.

Also same brands are likely to work better,
different brands may result in non even finish,
if you put the stuff back in any pots you took from ensure you wipe them out thoroughly to avoid any difference in the two otherwise mixed batches.
or put in a larger but not too large pot,
too much air and it dries out faster.
also if the paint has a lower than room temperature evaporation don’t leave about pack it away again asap.

Finally test the mixed paint on a cheap item first,wait until fully dry,
perhaps do a second on a really cheap it and check they are consistent, and dry ok, rub finger to see that it holds on the product and is not fragile, dulcote can stabilise fragile paint sometimes,
theh once you are happy the process works, and still have enough paint for the project risk your more expensive item.

Good luck do show us how it goes.

Final word I have mixed paints in my airbrush, messed with acrylics from different sources and so far had no serious issues, thus the above is a statement of caution and not omg really - your crazy :D

Oooo ooooo record carefully on the pot the mix the source the percentages,if you add any extra say thinners, because what you remember now may be forgotten later, thus why in my photographs I often photograph the pots I used, as a lot of my stuff looks similar when you look in the pots!

okay, finished sorry to be negative,but as said a word of caution not of rejection.

Mmm, don't think the majority do, more case of "you'll believe what we tell you", as everything is state owned they have no other reference point. But the Russians know there being lied to, they are not idiots, but there is little they can do, if they protest, their arrested at best, at worst ??????
That is the problem, Russians are not a free people. You do as your told or take the consequences, those first protesters won’t get off with a wagging ginger I am afraid. You just need to follow what has happened to people who thought it safe to stand up to him from another country! salisbury being a case in point.
There is also the fact although there are different flavours of media in Russia you toe Putins line or else.

Just like the Chinese come away from the cities, and the peasantry is not well off, not well educated. brave elements of the Russian army have queried his offensive not wanting to kill Ukraines, there is a report sone of the first ones in thought it a ‘peacekeeping’ exercise and once told to fire upon the Ukrainians they surrender rather than shoot. hope they don’t get sent home! There is talk he wants to go down in history as re doing the USSR well at 70 years old he doesnot have a lot of time, thus I fear nuclear is potentially on the table, let’s be thankful he hides his 2 daughters and ex wife as hopefully he does not want anything to happen to them. He is not a stupid man, the route he came through needed drive, intelligence, I think he thought we were all too stupid to stand side by side, let’s be fair the uk/Europe Brexit issues don’t help, the French/uk + US row over military does not help, Merkel good or bad was respected, who knows the name of her replacement, Italy has always had jokes about the fast gears on their military is reverse gear. but luckily our leaders are working in Unison. let’s hope they don’t manage to kill the Ukraine leader because that will be a big issue - could make it better or worse for Putin because west Ukraine which is ex Poland in historical terms might get rather pissed, but then they handed over their nuclear for a let us live in peace.
We need to give them aid, track families and help unite them asap,and hopefully end up in a position where we can help it rebuild. And as said earlier Russians non mega rich ones who live outside Russia are often escapees so do not deserve our ire.
Putin has lied, but who in Russia will be brave enough to call him on it, I have a smidgeon of sympathy for Belarus - not much - but a smidgeon I bet when Putin told him what was going down he needed a change of pants otherwise they would have been ready to wade in right at the beginning. And even if they had second thoughts, is NATO likely to be sympathetic.
One man is causing a lot of chaos, and 💀 death, and seeing it does not mean we have any guarantees on halting it.Those poor people had no idea what was a bout to hit them, poor buggers (Ukraines, and to some degree the Russians and Belarus) It is a very sad situation, and may yet get a lot sadder.

Good morning guys, a balmy 25 above Farenheit, which was unheard of as a morning temp any other time in February. More like 0 or -10.

I checked some old posts, but there were 5 pages so forgive me if I missed something.

Willie - The full scale train room/building really puts things in perspective for me. Thanks for posting it!

Boris - like the fire engine you posted Saturday morning

Sherrel - +80. Sounds nice.

Patrick - I like the GN GP. I used to have lots of GN, much of which got sorted out because of my time frame.

Here are a couple shots of Grizzly Flats from the old layout. I like keeping my Woodland Scenics buildings together as much as possible. The little green house is scratch built simple building.

GML transformer 025.JPG

above - overview of Grizzley Flats

Grizzly flats 001.JPG

Some different angles.

Grizzly flats 002.JPG

Grizzly flats 004.JPG

The little green bldg is scratch built. I used dried and sorted dirt for the road. For the path, I used some really fine stuff where I sifted out the small sand particles. Not totally happy with the dirt road.

Not even sure how many of these buildings I still have, it will be interesting once I dig into my storage totes.

More later, Dave LASM

Last edited:

I think (based on stuff I read) that Putin is testing his relationship with China by putting his nuclear weapons on alert. He just wants Pooh bear to know who he is supposed to deal with. You see, China inked an agreement with Ukraine to provide them with a nuclear umbrella back about 10 years ago...

Oh yes please, pic's please. Don't think I've seen one yet.

At the moment I am not really in a position to take pics as stuff is being packed away. I've posted some Japanese pics in the past. The repair job I did the other day and posted pics of, with the last pic being the completed train, is a Japanese JR 103 type commuter rail EMU in one of its later iterations as it ran on the Hanwa line (Osaka -- Wakayama). The 103 was retired on that line in 2018. The 103 first was introduced in 1963. There are still a few in operation. They were updated many times, enlarging and reducing the number of windows, adding A/C etc. About 6 years ago it finally was retired from the Osaka Loop Line. It is one of my more favorite EMUs. I have two variants from the Osaka Loop Line from GreenMax (one a special livery and one the "final run" version in Orange), one generic Osaka Loop Line from KATO IIRC, and an unbuilt JR 103 kit in light green -- I forget what line.

Maybe I'll go through my pics and re-post some of my existing collection I've snapped of the Japanese trains I have and also real Prototypes we've ridden on.

Birds of a feather...flock together. In hindsight, it was quite naive to believe that Russia would be anything different than they were dating back to the Czar. Being of Lithuanian descent, I heard all the stories and folklore about the Grand Duke's treachery, and Russian, Polish and German bullying dating back to before my grandparents immigrating to the US around 1900. This is no different than Russian taming "Democratic" movements in Hungary in 1956, or Czechoslovakia in 1968. Europe is a collection of groups harboring ancient resentments, which fuel nationalist ambition of authoritarian dictatorships dating back to ancient times. In all likelihood, the past 80 years is the longest stretch of time where there hasn't been a Major European war of one nature or another. Putin and Lukashenko are like minded despots living in similar cultures, with similar grievances, none of which make sense to Americans hung up with their own dysfunctions.

Good Morning All. Clear skies and 36°, heading into the 60's later today. Tomorrow starts a six day foray into the mid-70's or above. Maybe rain next Sunday, but that's a long way off. It has almost dried out from last Monday night's rain.

Not in a good mood this morning, Been awake mostly since 0130, shunting back and forth between spells back in bed and reading a wide variety of news sources on the net. I caught up with many threads on the forum but never logged on to post. Potential nap in probably 90 minutes.

Many thanks to all who liked or commented on the train shed construction; Steve J, Guy, Rick, Moermusic, Gary, Smudge, Troy, Patrick, Karl, IB Ken, Hughie, Tom O, Joe, Curt, Sherrel, Jaz, OB Ken, Louis, Tom, Dave B. Thanks also for the reactions on the rules of model railroading.

Over the past few days, while waiting for the ground to dry out and the train shed to warm up, I have been sorting through many many pictures from the old computer and came across this one. It is the only rough sketch of the layout benchwork itself that I had made.

train shed 001.jpg

Both levels roughly follow the same diagram. Dashed line indicates the backdrop on both levels. I should take this and edit it to put in town names and maybe even main lines. The staging along the south wall of the upper level does extend over the workbench and there is a "stoop-under" bridge across the door to the east wall. The bridge is set back so the door fully opens without removing it.

Meanwhile out in the train shed, I had another lackluster day. I just can't always get into projects. It was a typical Sunday without a lot of time. Church, brunch, nap, chores, then a brief time for trains before going to the "big city" for supper with friends. I actually have a limited social life.
I ran a train on the lower level as everything else this past week was on the upper level, and that one was rough. So I did something that I normally don't have to do - hooked up a cleaning train. I ran it once and then reran the other train after cleaning the loco wheels, That's all it took, one trip. Then I had to vacate until today.
Vehicles seem to be popular lately, so how about some two-wheelers from American Model Builders.
04-22-17 003.JPG

The two on the upper right I hadn't painted yet.
The honey pot wagon in Vernon. This is a Mini Metals model.
IMG_7162.JPG

And how about a trio from Oxford.
IMG_7156.JPG

Gary - I could have built the train shed bigger, but I had predetermined that the size that I chose was all that I could realistically maintain once finished. Still a while away from that.
Guy - Really sad about the fire. It was a beautiful structure. Glad to read that everyone got out safely.
Steve J - When I began construction, I started with the staging yard and moved forward from there. I was able to run trains basically out and back a little bit as I went. Switched engines and cabooses by hand . In the beginning it was 9', then 15', etc. until it finally became 160'

That's about it for now. Gotta go.
Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back