Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. It's clear and 21.
I got an eye exam Saturday, new glasses should be ready around the 8th. I'm taking advantage of everything I can, as quickly as I can, that's offered as part of my company-subsidized insurance, for when they decide they need a younger person to do my job for less money.

Good morning all! A frosty 14 degrees here in SE Illinois on the way to sunny and 40. Back to work today after a couple days off.

Did some surgery yesterday on my wife's laptop and managed to screw it up. I've worked on desktops and laptops for about 20 years and never broke anything on the motherboard until yesterday. This laptop was the biggest pain in the neck to work on. All I wanted to do was put in a new SSD to replace the current drive. Turns out HP wanted to make that an unnecessarily hard thing to do. Had to take a bunch of screws from the bottom, then pry out the keyboard to get at the HD. The little clip that secures the keyboard ribbon cable to the board wasn't interested in moving so I applied a tad too much pressure to it and it broke. No way to secure the ribbon cable now. I can still feed the cable into the connector, but no way to keep it there. As of now the keyboard works partially, but a lot of keys don't work. Only way to use it is with a USB keyboard. So mad at myself for doing that.

Nothing else to report. Have a feeling it's going to be a long day at work. Don't know why, just have that feeling. Hope you all have a great day!
You will have saved a lot of money over the years,think like a doctor,you save everyone you can,but unfortunately you cannot save them all.

Good morning. 11° on the front porch, 9° according to my phone...either way it has not been this cold here in several years.

This is not the coldest winter, 1976/1977, 1985/1986, 1994/1995 were all colder. February 1986, shortly after we moved in to our current home, we bundled up the kids and drove over to Asbury Park to see the "Arctic Sea Smoke"....a fog caused by the warmer water interacting with sub zero air temperature. That phenomenon has not occurred here since then.

Today's plan is to continue spending time in the train room. The more time I'm active, the better I feel.

Howdy there RR Fans - It's the aviator back for another load of BS!
Top the tanks and kick the tires - we're out of here!
37F degrees and looking for 68F under a "mostly sunny" sky.

I am 0 for 6 on the playoffs! Phenomenal - all anyone has to do is "fade" my picks, and that goes for all sports!
AND THAT is why I do not bet on sports - not even a single dollar.

Have to get the trash barrels out this morning because I was too lazy and full from dinner last evening.
Dinner was a resounding success with the kids and Gkds over.

FLO - good Monday morning to you and MEL -- I shall return!

JAMES - Thats some haul! You must wear a backpack, or have a Santa Sack?

I once drove down the road where the left hand side of my windscreen was being rained on heavily,but my drivers side was clear,and large dark cloud in the sky partly above me,totally strange,
Jaz- You lead such an interesting life! No wonder your layout has a variety of eclectic scenes., from Harry Potter to Dr Who!
I certainly enjoy your posts.
Maybe I haven't paid close attention, but do you have many ducks on your layout?

Last edited:
Morning all,

10 pages covered and now I can post!!! 🤣

Good news, Chiefs lost!!!!!🥳🥳🥳 Made $200 off my BIL. $100 was on Chiefs losing, bet doubled when they went into OT.
Unfortunately, then the news this morning spends 12 minutes of a 30 minute newscast on the loss with a player whining that they were the best team in the NFL...No, if you were the best team, you'd still be playing.

No trains this weekend as I got sidetracked with other things. Seems way to easy to do.
Weather supposed to take a wicked turn this week. Today is supposed to be sunny with a high of 66°, tomorrow cloudy and drizzle\rain high of 45°. Then rain turning to snow Tuesday night, snow Wednesday with possible accumulation of 7". At least now I can work from home if I need to do so.

I did get the taxes mostly done. Pretty simple when all you have is a couple of w2's and a 1099 from the bank. Sadly due to the pandemic, I actually have enough cash in the bank that I do get enough interest that the IRS wants to know about it. Even though I have the house and associated property taxes, all we've been able to take advantage of is the standard deduction. No taxable investments as 401k and 457b accounts are tax deferred. Still waiting on the 1099 from the bank or I would have them filed. Not really going to change the amount of total refund. Just add more to the pile of cash on hand. The wife also has the bills covered for the next 7 months. You now know why I don't handle the money...

Jaz: You had a cardboard box in the middle of the road?? You were lucky, we lived for 3 months in a paper bag in a septic tank...

Ken: A lot of those ribbon cables are held in place with pressure. You may be able to get it in place and hold it down with scotch tape. They usually have a lift tab and then slide in and out.

BBL.

Well, howdy there, internet people, and those who don't sportball.

It's Troy again.

Another night with tummy troubles. I suspect a spider bite. Those pesky critters are inside now, and every now and then I find a little red bump somewhere. If I get to it with Benadryl early, I'm fine. If not, I start looking after a queasy episode.

We, here in NE Indiana, are getting winter weather advisories for Wed to Friday. Looks like we are in the Weather Guesser's 8 to 12-inch band for snow.

That means I need to get the book edited and out to the beta readers (who look for typos and plot issues). I have two "alpha" readers pouring over it right now for the initial wave of typos.

Just fix your own, I hear many of you calling. It's not that easy. I wrote this. Then re-wrote it. And then re-wrote it, and then gave it a read-through. It's pounded into my brain. I know what I TRIED to write. But the words on the page might not be the correct ones. Even spell check doesn't catch the It's vs Its all the time. (Usually, the software highlights it ONLY when I have it correct)

Here's a pic from the "Scooby Cave" this morning. My Alpha-reader-girl (on the laptop) is correcting the manuscript via Google Docs (so we can both see it live). I'm following along behind and fixing the master doc o the big screen. The team of beta readers needs to get this tomorrow to catch all the stuff Alpha-reader didn't catch.

editingcave.jpg

'Morning ya'll!

It's was right at 1 degree this morning it may have dipped down in the negatives but I am not sure. Currently it is 7 degrees.

Back to work today. Got to build up that mad money again lol!

I hope to get back on the ballast test project this week.

My only regret from the show was not finding any MEs.....Micro Engineering switches. I was looking for and needing the last "exit" ladder switch LH 5e. I will have to continue lookin on line for that.

Supposedly it is going to warm up this week mid-week to 41 degrees....I will take it! I need to wash my truck!

BUT a huge BUT..........

We have 2 additional days of snow storms coming?

1643636159361.png

Not needing anymore snow especially with ICE no no thanks!

Hopefully this will change for the better as we get closer to those days this week.

Well everyone have a good week!

Today's plan is to continue spending time in the train room. The more time I'm active, the better I feel.
In the winter I spend every day all day in the train room. I stop to cook the meals and paly a horse race or two but otherwise it's all trains Dec, Jan, Feb Mar. I should get motivated to pick up my guitar and maybe play in my cousin's band. Maybe next year?
George

Good Morning all 23 degrees in the Ozark Foothills. Thanks for all the likes and nice complements on my Piggyback Trailers. Last night I worked on a old Weaver RS-3 Reading converted it into a dummy unit I’ll post some pics of it later almost done with it.

James. I’ll be sending that Storm to you when it hits here Wednesday/ Thursday. Yesterday I fueled the Allis Chalmers WD up checked everything and hooked the Blade to it and put it back in the garage I’m ready.
EDDB34EA-6D45-43D5-925D-62AC042A97DB.jpeg

I had a productive weekend in the train room! Good morning all. Chill start tot thre day at 10F but soaring to 30F today and 33F tomorrow! Shorts weather!

Some of you know that I plan to have a circular extension off the main table to allow for my 22R curves and give even a few more inchess for track run. Frivolous? I don't think so as those extra few inches have allowed for much better ops planning via Anyrail. So, as I am getting ready to start the main loop runs, I had to 'add' that extension.

1. I decided that making a six inch cut into the foam of the main table would help prevent any weird transition issues, so this pic shows that cut to length and width, and the piece that will be added. Though you probably cannot see it, I have already drawn the curve onto the foam, just not yet cut it.

20220130_133722.jpg

2. Next I spent some time laying out the cut for the support piece. While I probably could have mere shored up the foam and have plenty stability and strength, I decided to put a 1/4" piece of hardboard under it. I doubt it will protect from major human body collisions, but it does give me a bit more piece of mind. Here is the hardboard piece cut:

20220130_152909.jpg

3. I'm kinda proud of this next shot. In order to attach that hardboard flush, I weighted down a piece of hardboard, and then clamped the intended piece to it, thereby giving (I hope) a flush continuation of the table surface. Then I put in Angle brackets to support the hardboard extension piece:
20220130_153339.jpg
20220130_155315.jpg

4. Finally, I cut the curve very slowly into the foam, and glued and weighted it to the table and hardboard extension with LN for P.
20220130_162842.jpg

Those Costco Cat litter bags do come in handy! Today I will pull the clamps and test it!

No doubt most of you would devise a better way to do this, but so far it has worked for me. I did make two big mistakes. But I am hoping that they will not affect the final operation and integrity of the work.

Cheers!

SMUDGE - When I asked you about the postage for the parts from TOM - I was curious!
I had just mailed an envelope with a few papers inside to my SIL who is on Okinawa.
Cost me $26.00 ... I bout dropped my false teeth!

SMUDGE - When I asked you about the postage for the parts from TOM - I was curious!
I had just mailed an envelope with a few papers inside to my SIL who is on Okinawa.
Cost me $26.00 ... I bout dropped my false teeth!
Yeah, Postal system not what it once was, Tom's package was $20, the Athearn gears were $23, and the motor mounts are $17, if I decide to get them.
It's a wierd system, seems to be decided on where in the States you live, will determine your Postal rate.
A 50gram letter to the States from the UK starts at $13 and goes up from there.
But what can you do, not a lot really. But with costs of fuel and labour going up, bound to increase even more.

Edit.
Screwed this post up, teach me to do this on my phone 🤣

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back