Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning gang!
45° with light rain, supposed to clear out with a high in the low 50s. Long range forecast looks like a bit of the same til Sunday, before it turns colder next week. I'm tempting fate I guess, since I still haven't put out the reflective driveway markers nor have I checked the snow blower this year. Maybe this weekend.

IBKen. Keeping the fingers crossed it's just a cold. Just found out our cashier at work is out, her husband was in direct contact with a infected person, so she is taking off as a precaution and getting tested. We're all waiting on her results.

Another thing the UK is ahead of the US on... those PCR tests with Omicron seem to need throat swabs, because the infection grows there first, then moves to the nasal passage. There are vids and instructions on how to get a sample from both areas (throat first) online.

You don't want to try that on me. I have a terrible gag reflex, so bad I can gag myself just brushing my teeth. Touch the back of my throat and you could be wearing my breakfast.

Speaking of breakfast, Flo, can I get a Spanish Omelet with some hot Picante sauce on the side.

I think that smart car needs the rail wheels moved further outboard.

Smudge, you are not an idiot, You were simply a victim of an buildup of intercranial decomposition gasses, a.k.a brain fart.

BBL

Good Morning all!

12F with about 2in new white stuff for a 10in total.

Got the Train Cave pellet stove running yesterday. Have heat!

Rant - Ebay denied my refund of the 2nd TV that I did not get. They say since tracking showed it was delivered no refund. There has been zero contact with BestBuy. Gave them a negative - think that is the 2nd negative I have given for all my years on ebay. Funny thing is after I got the 1st TV; delivered on the 6th, I got additional tracking for delivery on the 9th for the 2nd TV. If ya clicked that tracking - it shows that it was delivered on the 6th!

The plan was to use the 2 TV's as monitors - cheaper than actual monitors and at 1080p lots of resolution. Gonna talk with my bank gal and see if she can manage a refund. I probably will have to eat the $118. I am going to see if there is another identical model out there. If not at least the same size ( 32in ) and get it in.

Have a great day!
Is it possible they left it outside and someone stole it off the doorstep? We had a iPhone stolen they delivered to a house down the road the photo matched that house but no one seems interested,it was a company phone and they just sent another thankfully or we could be in the same boat as you. But we now know that we have a thief nearby as he signed for it and the doorstep was easily recognised for 1000 pounds you would think someone would have followed it up but apparently not.

Good morning, practically balmy at 9 above 0F (-12 C) Dusting of new snow. Hence, overcast last night - - no telescoping for me yet with the new Christmas 'scope. Big chill coming with temps dipping well below 0F this weekend.

Wife is still sick. Started Sunday night and here it is Thursday morning. Influenza. She did not get her flu shot, I only got mine the Tuesday before Christmas, but hopefully the protection is there. Doc said no covid test. Dau came over and administered one of the home tests anyway: negative.

Speaking of said daughter, she went Wednesday to get her marriage license. Minnesota used to have a 5 business day waiting period, but changed the law last year. So she said, "Can you marry us Saturday?"

So Mr. Practical responds, "If you're serious about Saturday, then do Friday and then you can file as married for the tax year."

So we have a wedding Friday afternoon! Very small affair - sticking with the celebration plan for Jan 21. And then eventually going to Greece for the big celebration with his family. But we will take them to dinner - - any idea how tough it is to get reservations for New Year's Eve on Dec 29? Should be fun.

No train work yesterday. Maybe tonight I will commence the build for the coaling station I purchased a bit ago (Walthers).

Good Morning gang!
45° with light rain, supposed to clear out with a high in the low 50s. Long range forecast looks like a bit of the same til Sunday, before it turns colder next week. I'm tempting fate I guess, since I still haven't put out the reflective driveway markers nor have I checked the snow blower this year. Maybe this weekend.

IBKen. Keeping the fingers crossed it's just a cold. Just found out our cashier at work is out, her husband was in direct contact with a infected person, so she is taking off as a precaution and getting tested. We're all waiting on her results.

You don't want to try that on me. I have a terrible gag reflex, so bad I can gag myself just brushing my teeth. Touch the back of my throat and you could be wearing my breakfast.

Speaking of breakfast, Flo, can I get a Spanish Omelet with some hot Picante sauce on the side.

I think that smart car needs the rail wheels moved further outboard.

Smudge, you are not an idiot, You were simply a victim of an buildup of intercranial decomposition gasses, a.k.a brain fart.

BBL
I thought that was cranial-rectal inversion…

Is it possible they left it outside and someone stole it off the doorstep? We had a iPhone stolen they delivered to a house down the road the photo matched that house but no one seems interested,it was a company phone and they just sent another thankfully or we could be in the same boat as you. But we now know that we have a thief nearby as he signed for it and the doorstep was easily recognised for 1000 pounds you would think someone would have followed it up but apparently not.
Jaz - Probably not. We live in a small community that is 90 miles from everywhere. On top of that, our house is 200ish feet from the dead end road we live on; ya have to really look for the house to see it from the road. I suspect that UPS delivered to another address and binged the tracking saying it was delivered.

Lots happening here -- on the forum I mean!
Locally it is mostly cloudy, 51F searching for 56F later, and supposed to be scattered showers - again!
Yesterday was just a few minutes of drizzle and that was spotty.

The Spousal Unit is after me and I am trying to finish up my 2020 tax returns! Thankfully, I am not in the same boat as KARL and IBKEN, or I would just need to lie down on a RR track!

What a shame about John Madden - I loved him and his broadcasting - not the same with Harry, Barf, barf!

FLO - Steak and eggs, please, this morning with HB's and sourdough toast and a Diet DP, thanks!

This is directed , more or less, to TloC
1640879863234.png

Well gang I had a successful night last night working on upgrades for setting up a new programming track.

1. First I had to download and update my Digitrax PR3 interface for my new laptop and that went very well! My laptop with Windows 10 responded kindly and has recognized all the new drivers for the PR3. After running a quick test the laptop acknowledge the PR3 existence on COM5. Yes!
  2. Next was downloading all of the new updates as posted on the website (Dec 16th 2021) JMRI programs and that went very well as usual. Everything downloaded and started up with no issues at all. I tested all of my saved files and they were picked up and in working order. I also was able to make connection using the DECODER Pro program as well as Panel Pro and SoundPro to recognize my PR3. So that was good! (I have yet to use Operations Pro) SoundPro is an awesome deal. As many of my locomotives in my fleet have sound and well need some adjustment on volumes etc.
So now for tonight I will be doing a session for couple hours of programing some of my new locomotives I have acquired recently and even updating older ones as well that will need tweaking. I have all those new locomotives that are still set at factory settings for DCC address #003 that will need to be re-addressed to their proper engine/cab number. I like the features on JMRI. I will post some pics later of how that went. I like how easy it is pulling my loco roster from MiTrains software and importing into JMRI. Just a few clicks! I did have to revise a few pics for the some of the locomotive avatar pictures on the roster list. It was not hard to do at all.

So on my list to do this weekend coming is to install my new smart VIZIO 24" TV in the train room which will be linked to my laptop for JMRI and MITrains and WayBills programs etc. Plus I will be able to do other things that I have in mind and will share later.

In other news I did get another Thrall All door car from evil bay. That came in yesterday. Oh by the way........ the thread that TomO started regarding future MMR plans etc. This has gotten me thinking hard on refining my list and re-evaluating some things. It's a positive deal. Thanks to Tom O for starting that thread! I may go back over and re-edit my list after this weekend!

Ya'll have a good day! Catch ya later! Peace!

Last edited:
Good Morning!
My first task this fine morning, will be to go outside in the -24C and shovel the walks after the nights snowfall. That will take an hour.
We are having a-lot of snow this year. That will be very good, come the spring thaw. Less fires and lots of green.
We want lots of pictures, of the build,no pressure :p
I did get a small start on that project, and I'm taking lots of photos. Thought I might make a separate thread at the jobs completion, but, I've decided against that.
To get started yesterday, I measured and marked the dimensions I'll be using on a diagram copy, and started making the blanks for the front and back walls.
I'll be building this model in modular block form, starting with the main building block. When all the blocks are built, stuccoed, and painted, I'll glue them all together.
Here a couple of pics of my dimensions and the start of the 1/16" wall blanks:
Depot_12-30-2021 (1).JPG

Depot_12-30-2021 (2).JPG

I use the bar-sander to true-up the blanks to proper dimensions (the pencil line). The blanks will be cut to shape after I slice in the window and door openings. Once the blanks are shaped with window openings and roof lines, the inside walls will be strengthened with spruce strip supports.
I thought about using foam board for the walls, but decided against it due to the excessive thickness of any foam board I have in stock.

This project isn't going to be as fast as Willie or Hughie seem to churn out buildings. More likely, it will be built at my usual speed of super slow, and sometimes in reverse. I'll try to keep you all up to date, though. Unless it gets to be boring reposts.

Suppose I'd better get outside and shovel.
Have a good one!

Day trading is something that I would like to try at some point. My wife does taxes for some day traders and says that it seems quite profitable, for them. I am just not too sure that I have the patience to set up an account or the time to monitor things along the way. I have seen some stocks that I thought would do well absolutely skyrocket day to day.

Be prepared to lose it. The only ones making money consistently on day trading are the brokerages :) The ones making enough to stick at it spend their whole day glued to multiple computer screens and have the experience to know the differences between various changes to stocks that you and I would all think look the same.

Good Morning all!

12F with about 2in new white stuff for a 10in total.

Got the Train Cave pellet stove running yesterday. Have heat!

Rant - Ebay denied my refund of the 2nd TV that I did not get. They say since tracking showed it was delivered no refund. There has been zero contact with BestBuy. Gave them a negative - think that is the 2nd negative I have given for all my years on ebay. Funny thing is after I got the 1st TV; delivered on the 6th, I got additional tracking for delivery on the 9th for the 2nd TV. If ya clicked that tracking - it shows that it was delivered on the 6th!

The plan was to use the 2 TV's as monitors - cheaper than actual monitors and at 1080p lots of resolution. Gonna talk with my bank gal and see if she can manage a refund. I probably will have to eat the $118. I am going to see if there is another identical model out there. If not at least the same size ( 32in ) and get it in.

Have a great day!

Talk to the credit card issuer and initiate a charge back complaint. The credit card issuers usually require a signed delivery notice as proof of delivery. Not some random scan. I've been on the receiving side of charge backs and lost as the merchant unless I had a customer signature showing delivery. You probably won't have to eat this. Best Buy will (and eBay as far as whatever deal they have worked out with BB).

Packages are addressed to a person AT an address. Not a porch or house. If the delivery company just leaves it on the porch, it is on them.

Taking a break from cutting my modules in half. The 8' modules were a bit much to handle so I'm makin two 4' modules out of them. A bit more task than I first thought. First step was to mark and cut the rails so they wouldn't be damaged when I finished cutting the wood. The 8-footer was made of two 4'X2' sheets of plywood end to end with the 1X4 lumber forming the frame that supports the whole thing. Didn't need to cut the plywood, cut the buss wire underneath then made the cuts in the 1X4 pieces on each side but the whole thing didn't want to separate. It suddenly occurred to me the cork roadbed had to be cut too.
OK got the two halves pulled apart. Now, to reposition the existing leg sockets then add the second set of sockets on each module. Takin a break now.
The first picture is one half of the 8-footer
The second picture is the other half after moving the first set of leg sockets to the far corner and prepping to install leg sockets on the close end. Instead of the 2X2 lumber for legs, I'm using PVC pipes with nuts and bolts inserted so the leg can be adjusted from near the top of the leg. The PVC leg slips into the larger PVC socket that's installed in the module.

20211230_133821.jpg

20211230_133833.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back