Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 137588
I managed to get a picture as my wife was removing the goodies from the table to get it set for dinner. Stuffed cabbage, Hungarian style. I can say the name of it but forget spelling it so I'm sticking with stuffed cabbage. I also have a baked ham with au gratin potatoes, that is for me and my grandson. Maryland/Hungarian Christmas Eve dinner.

We lost my cousin David today after a tough battle with cancer. He was only 57.
Have a blessed night Everybody!
So Tokay wine, now my other half’s favourite is a proper goulash caraway and sour cream and heavy on the paprika, I use the polish veg powder cos the Hungarian one is hard to source, he shoves paprika on his scrambled eggs too, where’s the tablecloth with hand sown flowers 🌺, I cannot take to the pike the head puts me off. stuffed cabbage was my father in laws favourite.

Sorry for your loss :(

Merry Christmas to all!

One service in the books! Now home for a homemade Greek Chicken Soup and bread and back here at 2100 (9pm) to get ready for the 10:30 service. Tomorrow morning at 10:00am and then Christmas with the daughters. Son still will not share our company <SIGH>

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."

Merry Christmas!
Ooh the soup sounds good have you a recipe

Afternoon All,

Well today started out great. I ran 8 steamers and 2 diesels across the TT bridge to their storage tracks. I moved my 2 GP7's to the diesel facility. After that I put my large diesel consists in their storage tracks. After that I started getting intermittent shorts shutting down the layout. Merry Christmas to me 😢. I pulled everything off one at a time and got a power change 2 times (1 off the TT and 1 on the diesel storage tracks). So, I was looking at some wiring and my dad shows up. After telling him the problem he responded "you should rewire everything"😒 Thanks dad for your input (said to myself). So, Sunday I have 2 places to investigate. HO HO HO.

I won't be in tomorrow so MERRY CHRISTMAS or whatever you celebrate. I hope everyone has a joyous holiday.

Mikey- Sorry no photos today. Hopefully Sunday.

Jaz- The abandoned scene looks awesome. I'm the only one in the family that likes mincemeat. I'm not sure if it's the same thing.

TomO- I've had to do that more than once.

Karl- That's a big cat!

Willie- Nice Christmas scene.

Dave- Interesting truck set-up.

George- That would be a real wake up call.

I hope everyone has a good night. Don't stay up too late so Santa can bring you MRR'ing things.
Our mince meat is like your ground meat real meat, but in mince pies the meat went west in history and is now candied fruits mostly sultanas with spices,I only indulge at Christmas warm pie and cold cream or occasionaly icecream and a touch of alcohol.

Merry Christmas from Wisconsin. Friends left before 6pm and family around 10. A good but long day. Tomorrow the daughter throws the the get together for presents for the 2 kids. We will watch the Packer game at 3:20 with them.

Lots to say and reflect on after watching today‘s interactions. My family is fortunate to be mostly healthy and well off. We have lots to give thanks for and I think we as a family need to help the less fortunate more then we do. The excess, and I am as quilty as anybody who showed up today, was really on display today. The son showed me a text from a friend in LA that one of the tiny house projects for the homeless washed away due to all the rain California is getting. Washed away because they did not raise these shelter houses off the pavement and we’re just pushed away. Thinking before bed, not good for me lately.

Tom
630BCD6C-BD38-4DA6-B3E9-86882B61AC9F.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, A Merry Christmas Eve -- here we have another 37 minutes to midnight. Your East Coasters are now in and our Euro friends will soon be waking up Christmas morning!

It was kind of sunny and a warm 40F before noon I went to buy a tarp and then my son and I went to get thr 22 18' 12" joists off the sidewalk. I had a couple old pallets up there so we set them out, out the tarp on it, laid a few pieces of wood above the tarp to put air underneath the pallets so moisture will dry, and then moved the joists one at a time to their new home on the pallets in the tarp. When done we wrapped the tarp around and fastened the one end with small pieces of rebar and laid rebar on it to keep it from blowing away. It was quite windy as it is getting colder and rained a bit later and should be rain and/or snow the next 5 days, off and on.6

I wanted to put in an hour or two at the house but my son had an appointment with some friends -- one of their HS friends had moved with his family to Missouri -- don't know if it was before or after graduation -- and was back in town for the holidays and so they planned some time yesterday and today to hang out. It was fine with me as I had a few things to do anyway.

This evening we went to my aunt and uncles house for our traditional Christmas Eve dinner and Santa visit. My mom had told me a few days ago it was at 6pm, but called and left a message that it was at 5pm. The problem is my dad had played around with their phone and now it shows as "ubnknown" and I did not realize they had left a voice message. At 4:30pm I noticed it, thinking we had an hour to leave. Then it was "honey, wuick, we need to get going, it is at 5!" Quick shower, get ready, but we were not out the door until 5pm. We got there around 5:30pm. Dinner had barely started. My mom was there, her brother, and her other brother, whose wife had unexpectedly passed this Fall, plus her sister and her husbands, whose house it was at. And my sister and her family, and a few of my aunt and uncles kids and their families, and a son and his family from my unclue whose wife had passed. They were all there. My mom's side stems from Norway so the tradition was built on stuff they did as a kid with their grandmother and grandfather, who had come over from Norway. We eat Lutefisk (and Salmon, as most people are not keen on Lutefisk), potatoes, carrots, melted butter, a norwegian flatbread (crispy very thin non leavened bread), and some other vegetables and stuff. They had shrimp tonight as well. Some stuff is always the same every year, and some stuff changes. The last 10 years we had been going to the uncle's house whose wife suddenly passed this Fall, so his older sister and her husband stepped in to do it. I don't remember but I think they had been doing it with their kids and just expanded. When my son was 4 or 5 this aunt and uncle would do Christmas Eve for everyone but as everyones kids got older and mucho grandkids showed up, the families split off. When I was a kid, when we would drive to SLC, we had it at my great grandmother's house (she is one of those from Norway originally) but as families grew, as I said, it kept breaking off into smaller segments of family. Anyway, in Norway it is traditional for Santa Claus (Julenisse, father Christmas, etc) to visit Christmas Eve and be invited in for a drink etc. and to participate in the family's party of singing, dancing, eating. This became Americanized, as in America, Santa comes while you sleep, so we would "hide" with the lights off and Santa would come in and leave a present for each kid (which the parents had left at the designated drop off outside when they arrived). We do this now so Santa came tonight with one gift for each kid. (When I was a kid he brought ALL the Santa gifts, while mom/dad/family gifts were opened Christmas morning).

We often open up presents Christmas Eve as my wife is a nurse and often had to work on Christmas (which is also her birthday). She switched departments at the hospital this year and the new department (cardiac procedure recovery unit) is mostly just a business hours unit so no more Christmas (or New Years, Thanksgiving, etc shifts). My kids let me know they wanted to wait until Christmas morning to open presents, as it has been a while since they were able to do that on Christmas morning, due to the wife's schedule. So I have to make sure to leave the Santa gifts and stocking stuff tonight...

Sorry for the long drawn out rambling story. UPS and USPS brought me stuff today for my pistol project and I had not had a chance to look the stuff over so am down in my basement office fondling the parts and reading the like 4 pages of new posts since last night.

Merry Christmas all!

Well, A Merry Christmas Eve -- here we have another 37 minutes to midnight. Your East Coasters are now in and our Euro friends will soon be waking up Christmas morning!

It was kind of sunny and a warm 40F before noon I went to buy a tarp and then my son and I went to get thr 22 18' 12" joists off the sidewalk. I had a couple old pallets up there so we set them out, out the tarp on it, laid a few pieces of wood above the tarp to put air underneath the pallets so moisture will dry, and then moved the joists one at a time to their new home on the pallets in the tarp. When done we wrapped the tarp around and fastened the one end with small pieces of rebar and laid rebar on it to keep it from blowing away. It was quite windy as it is getting colder and rained a bit later and should be rain and/or snow the next 5 days, off and on.6

I wanted to put in an hour or two at the house but my son had an appointment with some friends -- one of their HS friends had moved with his family to Missouri -- don't know if it was before or after graduation -- and was back in town for the holidays and so they planned some time yesterday and today to hang out. It was fine with me as I had a few things to do anyway.

This evening we went to my aunt and uncles house for our traditional Christmas Eve dinner and Santa visit. My mom had told me a few days ago it was at 6pm, but called and left a message that it was at 5pm. The problem is my dad had played around with their phone and now it shows as "ubnknown" and I did not realize they had left a voice message. At 4:30pm I noticed it, thinking we had an hour to leave. Then it was "honey, wuick, we need to get going, it is at 5!" Quick shower, get ready, but we were not out the door until 5pm. We got there around 5:30pm. Dinner had barely started. My mom was there, her brother, and her other brother, whose wife had unexpectedly passed this Fall, plus her sister and her husbands, whose house it was at. And my sister and her family, and a few of my aunt and uncles kids and their families, and a son and his family from my unclue whose wife had passed. They were all there. My mom's side stems from Norway so the tradition was built on stuff they did as a kid with their grandmother and grandfather, who had come over from Norway. We eat Lutefisk (and Salmon, as most people are not keen on Lutefisk), potatoes, carrots, melted butter, a norwegian flatbread (crispy very thin non leavened bread), and some other vegetables and stuff. They had shrimp tonight as well. Some stuff is always the same every year, and some stuff changes. The last 10 years we had been going to the uncle's house whose wife suddenly passed this Fall, so his older sister and her husband stepped in to do it. I don't remember but I think they had been doing it with their kids and just expanded. When my son was 4 or 5 this aunt and uncle would do Christmas Eve for everyone but as everyones kids got older and mucho grandkids showed up, the families split off. When I was a kid, when we would drive to SLC, we had it at my great grandmother's house (she is one of those from Norway originally) but as families grew, as I said, it kept breaking off into smaller segments of family. Anyway, in Norway it is traditional for Santa Claus (Julenisse, father Christmas, etc) to visit Christmas Eve and be invited in for a drink etc. and to participate in the family's party of singing, dancing, eating. This became Americanized, as in America, Santa comes while you sleep, so we would "hide" with the lights off and Santa would come in and leave a present for each kid (which the parents had left at the designated drop off outside when they arrived). We do this now so Santa came tonight with one gift for each kid. (When I was a kid he brought ALL the Santa gifts, while mom/dad/family gifts were opened Christmas morning).

We often open up presents Christmas Eve as my wife is a nurse and often had to work on Christmas (which is also her birthday). She switched departments at the hospital this year and the new department (cardiac procedure recovery unit) is mostly just a business hours unit so no more Christmas (or New Years, Thanksgiving, etc shifts). My kids let me know they wanted to wait until Christmas morning to open presents, as it has been a while since they were able to do that on Christmas morning, due to the wife's schedule. So I have to make sure to leave the Santa gifts and stocking stuff tonight...

Sorry for the long drawn out rambling story. UPS and USPS brought me stuff today for my pistol project and I had not had a chance to look the stuff over so am down in my basement office fondling the parts and reading the like 4 pages of new posts since last night.

Merry Christmas all!
What a great family,looking out for each other.

Merry Christmas from Wisconsin. Friends left before 6pm and family around 10. A good but long day. Tomorrow the daughter throws the the get together for presents for the 2 kids. We will watch the Packer game at 3:20 with them.

Lots to say and reflect on after watching today‘s interactions. My family is fortunate to be mostly healthy and well off. We have lots to give thanks for and I think we as a family need to help the less fortunate more then we do. The excess, and I am as quilty as anybody who showed up today, was really on display today. The son showed me a text from a friend in LA that one of the tiny house projects for the homeless washed away due to all the rain California is getting. Washed away because they did not raise these shelter houses off the pavement and we’re just pushed away. Thinking before bed, not good for me lately.

Tom
View attachment 137596
So this is a picture of your home and you have a tree to share with the delivery men and the farm yard animals and you sell the trees as well,well i’, speechless…….winks…..ps I think someone just snuck off with a tree looking at the snow drag marks….there’s always one.

Merry Christmas! Can't say that too much 😁 not today.

Weeks ago my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas. How could I want anything? I have everything I want that is humanly possible for her to give me. I buy whatever I want, when ever I want it.
I could list a dozen things, probably more I've bought for myself this year. That is something I had never done before becoming a toy train junkie. I doubt I bought a dozen things for myself prior to my love for trains.
Now I have to get organized and build my layout so that I can properly play with my toys!

Well, Happy Christmas to all the internet MRR Cafe dwellers across the pond, and a Merry one to the rest of us.

Daughter and her BF showed yesterday as planned. Wife got the obligatory smell-good stuff (shower gel I believe) and Moscato. I got two bags of coffee and this little fellow.

Daughter got a sewing machine, and I 3D printed her some knick knacks. I warned the wife we're at the phase where we should start buying the BF gifts. They've been living together for over a year, and dating over two. She informed me that's now my job... so, what to get the potential future son in law????

Baked beans are mixed. We're heading off to MIL's house shortly. Under the gnome is my awesome BBQ Baked Beans recipe in case you need a last minute dish...

gnome.jpg

Troy's Awesome BBQ Baked Beans

3 can Van Camps Pork n Beans
1/2 cup Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
Bacon to taste (I use the pre-cooked packages, and tear into small chunks)

DRAIN sauce from beans, then dump in casserole dish
add BBQ Sauce and brown sugar. Mix

cover the top with a layer of pre-cooked bacon

Bake 350°f for 45 minutes - don't burn the bacon.

For a vegetarian version, remove the pork chunk from beans then add extra bacon. Because extra bacon is always good. ;)

Merry Christmas to All. Clear and 59° here, foggy again, headed into the mid-80's later on.
It is not going to be as merry a day as expected today, as my daughter #2 informed us last night that my SIL tested positive for Covid. So everything planned for today has been postponed. She and her family were at daughter #1's home on Wednesday, so everyone has potentially been exposed. The suspected carrier is SIL's sister and family from Jersey who stayed at their house from Saturday through Tuesday. Both daughters and families are fully vaccinated with boosters except the grandkids who aren't eligible for boosters yet. Everyone is quarantining for now. Looks like the avocado dip and chocolate pie that my wife made yesterday will go to my brothers house tomorrow instead. I suspect that before it's over, everyone in America is going to get the Omicron variant, vaccinated or not, and we'll eventually develop the herd immunity.
This will actually be the first Christmas Day that I haven't been on the road since 1968.

Everybody have a safe and blessed day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back