Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I keep the snow?

IMG_2696.JPG
IMG_2695.JPG
IMG_2698.JPG

At least I will keep the pictures.

Mike

Good afternoon Everyone....sunny and a nice late December day. Going to miss not having a white Christmas this year. Cathy is getting the house ready for our family members from Arizona where I wish I was in January. Looked for a trailer home in Arizona for a winter retreat, but the cost of the HOA, land rental and the other costs didn't make sense for to have a vacant unit maybe 10 months out of the year and pay those high monthly, reoccurring costs. Renting just isn't our cup of tea. We rented a cabin in Wisconsin's Door county several years ago and the place needed some all round heavy duty cleaning. Nice location, but poor management and due to the lack of snow and since most businesses were closed due to the lack of snow, the manager gave us a full refund even after three nights at the cabin.

Spent lots of time yesterday down in the basement cleaning the back-bar. Wiped down every bottle with a beach wipe and then did the entire back bar surface. There are a few mice in the false ceiling and they like the variety of liquors on the back bar. I have some bottles of liquor that bring back memories. There's a bottle of Scotch that I purchased for my 30th Birthday for a friend who liked Scotch, but that day had beer instead, some very expensive whiskey's from companies I did business with over the years and some specialty liquors like Peach and Apricot brandies for those who like the taste of the more fruity drinks. Many of the bottles remain unopened.

Walking back up the basement stairs was the easiest for me since he start of my illness.

When I first started in the shopping center business our location had a very small security staff since crime was very low. But, with limited staffing I carried cuffs and a badge and answered calls or did back ups when required. Our local police department and city attorney charged every shop-lifter and word got out on the street about our policy and criminals went elsewhere. Times have changed.

I worked with a leasing guy who collected and built Athearn BB locomotive kits and some brass steamers and had a sizable collection. None of his locos ever ran on a layout since he did not have a layout nor ever planned to have a layout. He had one rule that all locomotives had to have Kadee couplers. Jerry never missed a TrainFest.

Just a note again about Jason Jensen's (models like George Sellios) web-site on building tips taking a reader through the actual construction of a wooden kit. Check out the web-site of Carolinacraftsmankits.com who have a line of kits like Sellios sold and Besttrains.com who sells a line of stains call Vetero. Jensen uses the Vetero stains. Watch Jensen's web productions for some great ideas from a skilled craftsman.

If my walking doesn't improve, I just may build one of the more simpler kits from the Carolinacraftmankit line which can be done at the kitchen table. If only I have space for it on the layout.

I keep looking at a undecorated Kadee box car kit on my computer console. I purchased this kit to add John Allen's G&D logo and reporting marks. Need to have something related to the G&D Line on my layout!!!

That's about all for now.

Greg

#######################

Let's see if I can find some train pictures for TomO.

View attachment 137204

View attachment 137205

View attachment 137206

Se Ya All.....

Greg
Greg thanks for the pictures. When I brother purchased his 1st place in Scottsdale Arizona in a gated community with 6 golf courses by Jack IMO an Ass Nicklaus he said you and Terry need a place out here. He was single, owned his own very extremely profitable company. Terry laughEd and said do you know he works for? He doesn’t get paid like you. Took him a few minutes to realize she was telling him how cheaply his brother (me) worked for him. It got better after that.

Door County but mainly Sturgeon Bay, Wi. For many years my father in law would disappear in the summer and only the MIL knew where he was. He had a Cabin built on the shore but it was no cabin it was a 3000sq. ft. house with multiple docks he had built. Nobody really knew about it and no one was ever invited. Before he passed he hand3d out the inheritance to his kids and grandkds and asked if anyone wanted it but had to hold it for 10 years before they could sell it. He actually was cursed by a couple of the sons and the other daughter. Terry told him later we would take it and honor his desires. Boy, what a boon doogle. The family wouldn’t honor his wishes and were pissed they were unaware of it. Family members insisted they be allowed to use it and Terry refused and other then the youngest brother no other family member was invited. Lots of wasted money having something like that where it is not continuously used. Every other summer weekend was a waste as it was to far from either our Central Wisconsin house and after retirement even farther from where we are now in So. Central Wi. I think after the 12 years that Terry had it it was sold in less then a week with a wonderful bidding war.

picture, creating a load of aluminum billets
9C71A2C8-1865-4260-992F-35B283F4FA03.jpeg

He’s back. The grandson surprised his parents this morning. He volunteered to be goalie for the next 2 weeks of games which only will total 3 games until 1/2/2022 when they play 2 games that day.

F97ABB5A-9A90-4ACC-A258-C116745D52C8.jpeg

I think I took this on 12/2/2021 during my sleep deprived mess. I set up the tree and lights, Terry handles the rest. I love the excitement of an American overindulged Christmas
3C6C6499-166F-4343-ABE9-39B23F3366BB.jpeg

I have been doing the little things that need to be done around the layout
Another load being created for flat bulkheads
96020DC8-DB04-42C6-92E8-8E7D6CBD01EA.jpeg

Terry was in the layout room playing inspector and CFO today. She is concerned that by just patching the new to the layout Sd40-2 it will tell the LP on the layout, management doesn’t care about them and their safety. Tried to explain all good railroads buy used equipment and uick patching saves money. Still in the yard just idling as the patch job is cancelled.
C678E688-7801-48F7-96EB-6C12E250C079.jpeg

TomO

I think it's time to remind everybody about Bob's rules against Political and Religious discussion. We're all acting like adults, and nothing has gotten nasty, or even close to it, but rules is rules. I don't want anybody to log in and find half of their posts are gone if Bob happens to peek in...

I'm back again, today is one of those days, where I cannot get interested in anything.

Tom O:
nice photos. Back around 44 years ago, the bride and I vacationed at Rehobeth Beach, DE. The building that contained the hotel, also offered condo units for the then steep price of 38K for a two bedroom, two bath, facing away from the ocean. Being practical, and knowing the schedule I kept, (I was an Amtrak manager at the time), I declined to buy the unit ...I still hear about my "error in judgment". Of course I could have recovered my cost by letting it out as a summer rental, but...At this stage of my life, I would be great to have it, as we would be year round residents now, instead of here in Jersey. Then again, knowing what summers are here in Jersey, maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea....

I took this quick phone shot of our tree...decorated Thanksgiving weekend by the grandchildren.
Christmas Tree 12-19-2021.jpg

That's a one piece Nativity scene, surrounded by blue feathers. designs by my Anna Marie 8 year s old going on 19.

Well on the train front, Lucas my oldest grandson came over and he installed 3 street lights! Ezra his younger brother made snow using plaster. Will take some foto's and you people can tell me it I should keep it or no. A good time!

Mike
I know several grandadas who treasure the work on their layouts where they spent time with the grandkids or even kids, it is lovely to spend time with family who enjoy your hobby

I think it's time to remind everybody about Bob's rules against Political and Religious discussion. We're all acting like adults, and nothing has gotten nasty, or even close to it, but rules is rules. I don't want anybody to log in and find half of their posts are gone if Bob happens to peek in...
Sorry, not advocating for any sides, just bemoaning the system, but point taken.

Good evening gang.

Been lurking most of the week, occasionally popping in to interject a quick post or to catch up. Been in a kinda pre-Christmas funk. Was not feelin it this year, nor was a feeling any internal push to get down the basement to play with the choo choos.

That changed yesterday, at least the Christmas funk did. We went into the belly of the beast and made the hour long trek to Towsontown Mall. For those who may not be familiar, Towson (Think Cow-son with a T. not Toe-son like the GPS pronounces it) was a suburb to the north of Baltimore, that has been swallowed up by the city and ensconced within the Baltimore Beltway, aka Talladega Speedway North. SWMBO and I both needed ring guards for our wedding bands (we've both lost weight) and I needed to get her a Christmas present, so off to our favorite jewelry store we go. Now the last time I went there it was a weekday in early February, not crowded. Pulled in, parked, walked right in. Yesterday it was MOBBED. It took 20 minutes to find a parking spot in the parking garage at the wrong end of the mall. Then the hike through the crowds to the store. Thank goodness a saleswoman latched onto us as soon as we arrived and stayed with SWMBO while she browsed. after she assembled a few things she like she took a walk after telling me to pick one thing from them to be her gift. Surprise her. I didn't but just 1, but I has the saleslady put them all respective boxes within 1 box, so it appeared I only bought 1 thing, in 1 store bag. (me sneaky) Then a quick escape to our normal locale. We stopped at the Verizon store closer to home next and ordered new phones for both of us. Then dinner at Mission BBQ topped off the day. Today she came back from a "special run" with son #4 and I was playing Christmas music on the stereo. (yes, I still have a working turntable and vinyl!)

Speaking of phones, here is the last crappy cell phone pic.
20211219_120523 (2).jpg

This is our "armored" Christmas tree. The last few years we have used a tabletop tree, not so much because of Bud, but because of Bailey (the smooth coated Border Collie) and Sir Desmond of O-bla-dee, o-bla-dah. (Maine Coon Cat) This year a folding gate from Chewy.com solved that issue for us. Back to using the artificial 6 ft tree. The furry kids and also the grandkids stay off of it, and the presents behind it! Next year I am lobbying for a real tree!

Terry, My Mother's hobby was ceramics, We had those trees all over the house! I still have 1.

Fat man's coming soon, in cabin car 1225!! Better be good!! This means you too Sherril!!
Cabin 1225.jpg

L8ter gang!

Ahhh yeah, Christmas presents for the G kids. When I used to go over to their house on Christmas morning, they would be all over the wrapped gifts to find the one with their name on it then give it the works trying to figure what's in it. I decided to write their names on the packages in morse code configuration and that really flustered them.

Ahhh yeah, Christmas presents for the G kids. When I used to go over to their house on Christmas morning, they would be all over the wrapped gifts to find the one with their name on it then give it the works trying to figure what's in it. I decided to write their names on the packages in morse code configuration and that really flustered them.
Bad Ganta 🤣 🤣

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Haven't posted here in a while I realize, but things have just gotten a tad chaotic around my house as of late. Been busy obtaining, setting up and decorating the Christmas tree; also battling G.I. issues. With the teensy sliver of actual free time I had, it was a choice betwwen posting here or working on my switcher pianting project; I chose the latter.

I thought I had the painting all done on Friday evening and I snapped a few photos to share here, but when I looked at them - I was shocked to see that the orange paint I had applied was nearly invisible!?o_O Apparently, since I used Vallejo fluorescent orange, that stuff is semi-transparent and even though it appears orange when viewed with the naked eye, the light sensor in my cellphone camera doesn't detect it. So that project was an epoch fail . Thankfully, I was able to use 91% ISO alcohol to remove most of the Vallejo paint without harming any of the other painted surfaces. I did some experimentation with Tamiya Red and yellow paints and found a non-fluorescent, opaque combo that will work. The only problem is that the paint is glossy, and I need flat. Don't have any flat versions of those colors in my inventory, so I had to order some - but I won't get them until December 30 at the earliest. So that project is on hold...

In between my other usual weekend activities, I spent time applying home-printed business name decals onto some of my lineside industry buildings. I was going to take photos of those, but that is when I started feeling sick, and I'm still not entirely well. I'm forcing myself to compose this post, just to stay in touch. Sorry I don't have anything else useful to add to the discussions [some of which apparently had to be stopped anyway].

Sherrell - I did see the post about your son, got him in my prayers!🙏🙏

Good night - and have a pleasant tomorrow!

KEN D&J -- That's brilliant.

IB KEN --
Thanks - Nothing new to report. He is bored and wants to go home - not a wise choice at this time as he has pneumonia, but I think a mild case? I am getting my news through the EX as he and his wife don't want to hear what I think. I have decided that it is his problem and "he" can deal with it.

Last edited:
Willie, we are not yet a perfect union, not even close, but I challenge anyone to prove to me where it is better.

The only thing I will say about politics applies to both parties. We need to put the good of the nation above the good of the party. Grid lock and greed have gone on for far too long.

The drug problem is the cause of much of our crime. Arrest people for public intoxication, petty theft and vagrancy. Mandatory drug testing for all who are arrested.

Formerly my wife managed a large convince store. She stopped a junkie from stealing a candy bar. The junkie threw the candy bar in her face and walked out. She called the Baltimore city police. The junkie was still on the premises, pan handling from customers. The officer confronted him and let him leave. The officer explained to my wife "he is only high". Another occasion a different officer told my wife "we are not going to respond to every theft, you have to protect your own inventory". Hard to blame the officers, they know the Baltimore City States Attorney won't prosecute minor crimes.

Minor crimes?! Junkies use up to $1000/day to feed their addiction. They steal all day every, anything and everything they can get their hands on.

It's the broken windows thing. Arrest and punish them for the minor stuff, and they may not get to the major stuff...

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 51°, quite a bit chillier than the past few days. Looks like the thunderstorm finally came through around 0100, but the thunder was faint and I only received .25" in the gauge. Temperature will remain the same all day before dropping to freezing or below tonight. North wind picking up to over 20 mph in a little while will make for a bitter day. No real improvement for the next few days although the wind will abate after sundown today. Currently it looks like 70° and above starting Wednesday with 77° predicted for Christmas Day and Sunday. No white Christmas here. Still a comfortable 75° in the house, but I project starting a fire in the wood-burning heater around midday. Yesterday, I made sure that I had two days of dry firewood in the house in anticipation of the rain, which is now a moot point since it didn't rain much and the wind will dry what's outside in a matter of hours. In all likelihood, only the top layer got damp anyway.

I did spend about an hour yesterday on the mower. Not so much for cutting the grass, but for vacuuming and chopping the leaves into the grass catcher for use in the garden next spring. If all goes as scheduled and this is an average winter, I should be planting onions, radishes, lettuce and spinach in about 45 days.

Meat-lovers omelet today Flo. OJ and raisin toast to go with it.

Thanks very much for th e likes and comments regarding yesterday's lowly post; Steve J, OB Ken, Karl, Christian, Joe, Mikey, Guy, Troy, Chad, Jaz, Hughie, Louis, Tom H, Rick, Tom O, Tom.

Out in the train shed yesterday, it was track laying trial and error. Since he area is all going to be little used spurs to industries, I used an accumulation of leftover sectional track from my earliest days of modeling. I have even included two pieces of brass track.
First was the completion of the spur into the loading area of the brewery and the switch to the other spur tracks.
View attachment 137105
The actual track into the loading area is code 70, and I had to jury-rig the connection to the code 100. Despite filing a bit, there is still a small bump which will not matter in the overall scheme of things.
Then I moved on to the remaining spur which has another switch installed to split it into two.
View attachment 137106
Other end.
View attachment 137107
I have determined that I am going to use four sets of feeders for the entire area and I got started by cutting to length,striping and then tinning the first two pairs.
View attachment 137108
Admittedly I am the worst solderer in America, but I actually improve each time.
Next is to remove everything, replace all of the temporary rail joiners with brand new ones, relay the track and fasten down; and connect feeders.
Meanwhile I need to determine what to do with the parcel of land between the brewery and the electronic controls factory and decide what to do with it. No rush at this time. I'll wait until next year at the earliest.
View attachment 137110
I have 18" along the track side and the right side, 12" along the left and 9" along the front, some of all of it will be "space". I am going to look at my inventory of DPM wall kits and proceed with using them. In the interim, I can still add ground covering to everything pictured this morning. after fastening the track of course.

James- Thank you for the information. I don't need more of them, or bumpers either. I was just trying to find out about their mounting orientation. It appears that I have them at least right side up.
Jesse -

But those guys/gals actually got things accomplished!
Chad/James - While our gas price seems cheap to others, it's still $1/gal higher than a year ago.
Terry -

The philosophy of the majority party in Congress seems to be that if it seems like a bad piece of legislation, Just put a different spin on the same thing and charge through again.

Everyone have an awesome weekend and a wonderful day. Just seven days until Christmas. PM me for the address to send model RR presents to.
Stay safe.
Lots of manufacturing going on there.
George

thank you Terry!
Last year Bob deleted one of my posts because I said, my wife's been on Hydoxychlorquine for years and it's one of the safest drugs we have. Rating at 121 on the drug list of the least dangerous. I thought that was a little ridiculous, but I've been on Terbinafine for 3 months, that's it's limit and it's cleared up a lot more than the toe nail fungus I was taking it for. It's a far more dangerous drugs being you have to have your liver checked every 6 weeks but it hasn't been on any newscasts so the post may stay up. We'll see what happens.
George

Last edited:
Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Haven't posted here in a while I realize, but things have just gotten a tad chaotic around my house as of late. Been busy obtaining, setting up and decorating the Christmas tree; also battling G.I. issues. With the teensy sliver of actual free time I had, it was a choice betwwen posting here or working on my switcher pianting project; I chose the latter.

I thought I had the painting all done on Friday evening and I snapped a few photos to share here, but when I looked at them - I was shocked to see that the orange paint I had applied was nearly invisible!?o_O Apparently, since I used Vallejo fluorescent orange, that stuff is semi-transparent and even though it appears orange when viewed with the naked eye, the light sensor in my cellphone camera doesn't detect it. So that project was an epoch fail . Thankfully, I was able to use 91% ISO alcohol to remove most of the Vallejo paint without harming any of the other painted surfaces. I did some experimentation with Tamiya Red and yellow paints and found a non-fluorescent, opaque combo that will work. The only problem is that the paint is glossy, and I need flat. Don't have any flat versions of those colors in my inventory, so I had to order some - but I won't get them until December 30 at the earliest. So that project is on hold...

In between my other usual weekend activities, I spent time applying home-printed business name decals onto some of my lineside industry buildings. I was going to take photos of those, but that is when I started feeling sick, and I'm still not entirely well. I'm forcing myself to compose this post, just to stay in touch. Sorry I don't have anything else useful to add to the discussions [some of which apparently had to be stopped anyway].

Sherrell - I did see the post about your son, got him in my prayers!🙏🙏

Good night - and have a pleasant tomorrow!
Ken that sucks you have GI issues. I am still having sleep issues. Even with the nedicine the doctor ordered it is tough to sleep. I am a sleeper, give me a pillow anywhere and I could zonk out. Not sure what triggered this or what majkes it continue but December for me has been miserable since we got back to Wisconsin. My brother thinks I miss the waves from 2 miles away while in the 50th state. I don’t.

I love Vallejo paints but I have had issues with some colors as you are having.

Hope you feel better
TomO

I'm back again, today is one of those days, where I cannot get interested in anything.

Tom O: nice photos. Back around 44 years ago, the bride and I vacationed at Rehobeth Beach, DE. The building that contained the hotel, also offered condo units for the then steep price of 38K for a two bedroom, two bath, facing away from the ocean. Being practical, and knowing the schedule I kept, (I was an Amtrak manager at the time), I declined to buy the unit ...I still hear about my "error in judgment". Of course I could have recovered my cost by letting it out as a summer rental, but...At this stage of my life, I would be great to have it, as we would be year round residents now, instead of here in Jersey. Then again, knowing what summers are here in Jersey, maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea....

I took this quick phone shot of our tree...decorated Thanksgiving weekend by the grandchildren.
View attachment 137217
That's a one piece Nativity scene, surrounded by blue feathers. designs by my Anna Marie 8 year s old going on 19.
Boris, I have had a few regrets for not purchasing something over the years.

My dad had a great regret. He had a chance while I was in college (70 to 74) to buy a couple McDonalds in the suburbs of Chicago for under $40,000.00. He and mom didn’t have it, they refused to talk to one of mom’s cousins who would have lent them the money as a partner. Dad always said a partner and you will part and rarely nicely in business. Something my brother remembers and practices very well! Anyway a friend of dad’s purchased them and lived happily ever after becoming one of 5he largest franchise holders in the Midwest.

TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back