Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie, I don’t drink a beer that often as it really messes with my glucose numbers. So you will have to drink one for me and if not Terry can handle 2 today.
As a Type II diabetic, I also have to watch my carb intake carefully. My preferred beer is Heineken which has 11 carbs per 12 oz bottle. Doctor's advice is less than 160 carbs a day, so I have some wriggle room. Corona Extra, my second choice is just 10 carbs per 12 oz bottle. I test every morning and my glucose level rarely goes above 125, doc wants it below 150. I should also test before bed, but I never got into the routine. When I remember, it is generally lower, ~110. A1C levels have been coming down, now about 5.7. I rotate a 12 pack of either brands light beer in every once in a while just because! Like one of every three when I have it.
But I'll have one for you today in case Terry is not in the mood.

Good afternoon.
Adding to our drama, Fedrex has decided to repeat a past performance, refusing to deliver to our house, saying “ business closed”. Iwas polite to the person I spoke with on the phone about it, until they told me I really need to make sure I have somebody at home when I’m expecting a delivery, and they weren’t going to re-send the item out if I wasn’t going to be home.
With everything that’s been going on here lately—- I’m pretty sure their phone melted. I still don’t have my package, and have no idea if I’ll ever get it, but I felt a little better for a while.
BTW, this seems to happen every two to three packages they “deliver” here.

Good afternoon.
Adding to our drama, Fedrex has decided to repeat a past performance, refusing to deliver to our house, saying “ business closed”. Iwas polite to the person I spoke with on the phone about it, until they told me I really need to make sure I have somebody at home when I’m expecting a delivery, and they weren’t going to re-send the item out if I wasn’t going to be home.
With everything that’s been going on here lately—- I’m pretty sure their phone melted. I still don’t have my package, and have no idea if I’ll ever get it, but I felt a little better for a while.
BTW, this seems to happen every two to three packages they “deliver” here.
I was reading yesterday of a FedEx driver who refused to deliver packages to homes with Biden, Harris or BLM signs in the yard. I don't think that it was yours! He was in Washington. FedEx driver in Washington

Good afternoon.

James, I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and they are not part of Chicago but people always thought it was Chicago. Never understood why people couldn’t figure out the not all of Illinois is Chicago. Actually a very small portion is.
Hey Tom, I was born in Evanston, and first came to memory after we moved to Glenview. The Milwaukee Road ran through Glenview and we spent many a day at the tracks and the Dairy Queen nearby.

Tom O and Steve MILW ...... I grew up in Chicago suburb of Clarendon Hills, IL. Photo below.

36775101265_319a44d539_b.jpg

For most of my adult life, I lived in the Suburbs of Detroit, MI. People would simply refer to that as "Detroit".

I think many of the big cities control the politics too much in their respective states.

Tom O ..... I like the pipe being bridged over the track in your photo.

Willie .... I red about that Fed Ex driver. Actually he is now an ex Fed Ex driver now.

Everybody ..... have a good afternoon and evening.

Afternoon All,

Plumber was here this morning without issue and currently the floor of the shower is going in as I post. Not sure if we have a day off tomorrow for floor cure time or not.

Troy- I know I've done both with glue.

Louis- Nice looking XMAS box car.

Willie- Hopefully they can kill your wife's infection. Really nice job on Cooter's.

TomO- Nice photo. Happy early Birthday.

Garry- Nice photo.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon.

Tom O and Steve MILW ...... I grew up in Chicago suburb of Clarendon Hills, IL. Photo below.

36775101265_319a44d539_b.jpg

For most of my adult life, I lived in the Suburbs of Detroit, MI. People would simply refer to that as "Detroit".

I think many of the big cities control the politics too much in their respective states.

Tom O ..... I like the pipe being bridged over the track in your photo.

Willie .... I red about that Fed Ex driver. Actually he is now an ex Fed Ex driver now.

Everybody ..... have a good afternoon and evening.
Hi

born 69 years ago tomorrow in Evergreen Park, Illinois but lived at 68th and Hamlin on the south side of Chicago. Moved to Oak Forest, Illinois in 5th grade and graduated HS in 1970.

Loved the Rock Island RR from high school through college when the Milwaukee Road took over. Played lots of golf in Steve’s old area surrounding Evanston and some around Clarendon Hills..

Garry, the pipe bridge carries recycled water to the Recovery Building from the main paper machines

thanks for the comments

TomO

Went to Dr. for my annual wellness check yesterday. Didn't actually see the Dr. but a nurse whom asked the questions. You know the questions. It's the exact same ones they asked last year, and the year before and the the year prior. You know they have all the answers on the computer just by the questions they ask. What prescribed medicines are you taking? WTF, your the one prescribing.
Hughie: That's why I don't bother with "wellness visits". I could mail it in for all the good it does. BTW, Medicare now requires the same repetitious questions each time I see a doctor.

Good morning , everybody

Louis .... You got a deal on eBay . ... For HO track cleaning, I have used lacquer thinner or acetone, but that might not work at all for your kind of track.
Thank you Garry,

Your suggestions sound viable, I need some kind of solvent to clean the residue. My only concern is the molded plastic road bed. I'm worried the lacquer thinner may break down the plastic. I have no idea how the plastic would react with acetone.

Thank you for the suggestions and your other encouraging comments since my return. I appreciate it! 😁

When I get some time I'm going to try a vinegar soak again. I'm hoping I did not let it soak long enough. I've grown accustomed to the smell of vinegar in my work shop.

Good morning all, finally got over to our club last night. We rearranged our larger layout into a smaller layout due to the space available at this years train show here in Truro in October. Cleaned and tested the track. A couple pics of the layout. Bigger Meatier breakfast this morning please and a large coffee!

B3730427-51A0-4A5D-A031-872EEFBECAFC.jpeg

6FA100FB-ECF3-4EC8-9F19-8DBC36815C94.jpeg

Hello Fellow Modelers !
After ours usual 7.5 miles (or 12 km if you're "metric"), we're back to our home. A hot chocolate , a few brioche slices and we're happy. And for the very first time a photo of the track near our house. A few small passengers train and one little freight train per day. The French track is completely bolted ! No spike at all. That one of the reason we can run TGV.

201.jpg

202.jpg

203.jpg

204.jpg

206.jpg

205.jpg

Last edited:
James, I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and they are not part of Chicago but people always thought it was Chicago. Never understood why people couldn’t figure out the not all of Illinois is Chicago. Actually a very small portion is.
I know what you mean. I live in southern Illinois, about 250 miles straight south of Chicago. Just the same, if I tell someone where I'm from they immediately say "oh, Chicago" to which I immediately say "not even close".
Ken

Good morning everyone! Cool morning here, but supposed to get up to about 86 later. Still not too hot to go to the park on my lunch break and eat in my truck. Better than staying at the work place to eat. I'm retired law enforcement and now work at a national home improvement warehouse as the electrical guy. Hope you all have a great day!
Ken

Morning all,

70° and some light thundershowers in the area. You can tell by the light show in the sky. Currently dark and staying dark until dawn.

I've been watching auctions to see why things are going for about double what I'd expect to pay and still see no rhyme or reason for some of the prices. I did read an article saying that Model Railroading has seen a resurgence during the pandemic, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

OBTC 1909: Welcome to the group and the site.

TLOC: Tom, Happy Birthday!

On the Big City Front: My mom's parents lived in Detroit and later moved to Ypsilanti. We always called them the grandma\grandpa from Detroit. Dad's parents were in the same town. My brother and I got grounded for riding our bicycles the 2 miles to our grandparents house. We were unannounced as I was 12 and he was 10.

Last edited:
I also grew up in the Chicago burbs, near West Chicago which is 30 miles west of the city. When asked I tell them I am from Northern Illinois. Close enough cause they wont know anyway.

Christian, your corn looks like ours. Ready to be harvested, but they are now doing beans.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back