Running Bear's September 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from cool crisp Wisconsin where at 6 this morning it was 50f degrees, 70 now. Not much happening here and according to the log keeper of such things I last cut the grass on 8/3/2020. It hasn’t needed it but maybe tomorrow. It doesn’t look nice at the crispy brown color. Great photos but not as many as usual. Have a safe day.

TomO

Good morning from cool crisp Wisconsin where at 6 this morning it was 50f degrees, 70 now. Not much happening here and according to the log keeper of such things I last cut the grass on 8/3/2020. It hasn’t needed it but maybe tomorrow. It doesn’t look nice at the crispy brown color. Great photos but not as many as usual. Have a safe day.

TomO
Where abouts in WI?

Afternoon All,

Spent most the day in the train room soldering rail joiners, feeder wires to the tracks then to the main buss. After lunch I metered everything without issue. I cleaned the track, then had some issue getting the loco to come to life (track had 12 VAC), I finally got it working and ran it in all combinations about 9-10 times. It was hesitating in one spot (straight track) continually so I cleaned the loco wheels and really scrubbed that section of track and after that there was no hesitation. I'm not sure what is on tap for the weekend.

Thank you everyone for your likes yesterday.

Lee- Thank you. Very nice kitbashing the TOFC cars.

Karl- Neat video. What did you do for the MMRR? I couldn't see it clearly but was that a Pennsy car on the end?

Willie- More nice looking buildings and details.

Lee- Nice looking box cars.

Alan- Great looking train.

Garry- Happy Anniversary. How many years?

Chet- Your granddaughter looks like she's in her late teens instead of 11. The BL2 was a really ugly loco. Is that a natural rock arch? I can't tell from the angle.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Monmouth Park Race Trains - 1950s, prior to 1958.jpg

Monmouth Park Race Trains...from the 1950s.
Delaware Park Race Trains.jpg

Delaware Park Race Train(s). I worked the entire 1968 meet as the Fireman on the daily train. Like being on Vacation all Summer.
Lima - Hamilton 2500 HP.jpg

LRS25 Lima Hailton 2500 HP Center Cab. PRR owned 23 Baldwin Center Cabs, and 22 Lima-Hamilton Center Cabs.

Curt, I was what they called a "mechanical conductor" for the Entertrainment line. We were hauled by the MMID over MMID tracks. The difference between a regular conductor and a mechanical conductor was that I had grease under my finger nails. See I would meet the train 4-6 hours before departure to inspect brakes, service gensets for HEP, fill water tanks, replace brake shoes and pads, etc, etc, etc. Then switching duties as needed after a run for the next day. Between 6pm Friday til Sunday afternoon, I would log 24-26 hours on the train. Best part time job I ever had.
As far as a Pennsy car , there was lunch counter car 1135 mid-consist (ex Penn "Congressional" car) and a Twin unit diner set , the numbers escape me at the moment. The tail car was privately owned, not sure of the heritage, as it was just lettered as a Pullman car.
I've got most of this train modeled in HO.

Chet. I agree with Curt, your granddaughter looks older than 11, more like 15. The BL2 on the other hand looks like an Edsel on the rails. I have 2, but only because the WM had 2. I was the ugliest thing on the WM until the RWB or "circus" paint scheme came out. Small miracle the BL2 didn't get it!

Curt. Thanks for the complement it was a lot of fun building it I have a couple more to build. Sounds like you had a busy day and productive one too. Enjoy your weekend I’m going to try to get some train time in.

Joe. 1968 Wow that’s when I was born. Great pics as always

Thanks for all the likes and complements today. I leave with another Custom Piggyback This is a Lionel PS-4 that I weathered with a 32’ Weaver trailer I painted and decaled. I made the decals on my computer. Take care and be safe

003C1916-1A9C-4881-80D0-19D8FFAD1E04.jpeg
16D63989-1E39-4883-A37C-8016D410CE74.jpeg
45B1DB59-BF5D-4F39-A35D-1A8B3DEC7241.jpeg
5C0301A5-271C-4690-B4F7-325228CDEE14.jpeg
187D0CB9-C9C1-4C9D-8AE3-5795E0D7A725.jpeg

Well, I took the plunge on a refurbished Dell Optiplex desktop, which has had several of the important bits replaced with new and tons of go faster power/speed bits. An early version Intel i5, but more than capable for what I do. Here's the specs. AU$550.

Product Name:​
Dell Optiplex 7010 MT Desktop PC with Intel i5-3470 CPU, Gigabyte GTX 1050 4GB Ti (NEW) and 16GB RAM
Processors​
Intel® 3rd generation Core™ i5-3470
Operating System​
Windows 10 Pro
Memory​
16GB RAM
Removable Media Options​
DVD-ROM
Graphics​
Gigabyte GTX 1050 4GB Ti (NEW)
Storage​
500GB HDD + 480GB SSD (NEW)
Front Panel​
4 USB ports
1 Mic port
1 Speaker port
DVD drive
Back Panel​
Power plug port
PS2 port for mouse and keyboard
6 USB ports
1 Serial port
1 VGA port
2 Display ports
1 Speaker port
1 Mic port
1 HDMI Port
1 LAN port

Well, I took the plunge on a refurbished Dell Optiplex desktop, which has had several of the important bits replaced with new and tons of go faster power/speed bits. An early version Intel i5, but more than capable for what I do. Here's the specs. AU$550.

Product Name:​
Dell Optiplex 7010 MT Desktop PC with Intel i5-3470 CPU, Gigabyte GTX 1050 4GB Ti (NEW) and 16GB RAM
Processors​
Intel® 3rd generation Core™ i5-3470
Operating System​
Windows 10 Pro
Memory​
16GB RAM
Removable Media Options​
DVD-ROM
Graphics​
Gigabyte GTX 1050 4GB Ti (NEW)
Storage​
500GB HDD + 480GB SSD (NEW)
Front Panel​
4 USB ports
1 Mic port
1 Speaker port
DVD drive
Back Panel​
Power plug port
PS2 port for mouse and keyboard
6 USB ports
1 Serial port
1 VGA port
2 Display ports
1 Speaker port
1 Mic port
1 HDMI Port
1 LAN port
That's a lot of giggle-bits.

Can you handle that many giggles?

Good evening Shop Dwellers, got up too late today to leave my morning greeting. Not sure what the weather here is like 'cuz it's dark outside.

I'm going to Mainline Hobby Supply in Blue Ridge Summit [PA] first thing tomorrow morning to pick up two loco shells; Brian, the owner, sandblasted them for me. I decided to do them over completely because I screwed them up attempting to weather them, then trying to paint-over the mistakes. I could get never the right shade of blue paint to match the original - similar to wrecking a car and trying to repaint only the repaired body panel, ya "just can't do it." [Note to Self: NEVER again attempt to airbrush exhaust soot stains on a prized model - use only Pan Pastels for that purpose from now on!]

Karl, I tried to call you earlier but I only got your carefully-crafted voicemail greeting 😆. If I hear back from you in time, I'll swing by your place.

Everybody else - I'm enjoying all the photos you've been sharing, keep 'em coming!

Good Evening Stormtroopers! Railroaders ... Opps?
Started this post 10 hours ago -- been busy:
Don't give up the pool just yet, Willie! We will send you some more HOT later on? September can be a real bear out here at times!

Hit 100 even on my shaded patio this afternoon - supposed to be 113 tomorrow and 112 on Sunday - You should get a few more days in the pool Willie?

I haven't
finished reading all of today's posts - will do that inna morning!
Say Goodnite, Gracie!

Good Evening Stormtroopers! Railroaders ... Opps?
Started this post 10 hours ago -- been busy:

Hit 100 even on my shaded patio this afternoon - supposed to be 113 tomorrow and 112 on Sunday - You should get a few more days in the pool Willie?

I haven't
finished reading all of today's posts - will do that inna morning!
Say Goodnite, Gracie!
Goodnight, Gracie!

Morning all... Coffee... and if Mel doesn't get better donuts in here, I'm gonna bring my own. :cool:

Big exciting day ahead - if the daughter actually brings the boyfriend up to meet us. She said she will... but he might chicken out.

I found time to work on the layout yesterday... procrastination/Writer's Block is good for that at least. Managed to get all of the OSB screwed onto the top of the benchwork. Had to fix the height of two sets of legs, and add bracing where I forgot that I'd have edges of the OSB falling. Most of that I could handle by gluing/screw scraps onto the next joist over.

Here she is in all her glory:

i-5hrdB72-L.jpg

i-9Ph3qN6-L.jpg

I also managed to string the 12 gauge main bus wire. Right now, I'm planning on using Ron's (Ron's trains and things) wiring method. Ordered everything I didn't have from allectronics.com and was only $10 away from free shipping. Darnit... add more terminal blocks... Oh, crap, I crossed the quantity-discount level, what else can I add... more wire!

Oh well. Time to finish cleaning the basement. And the rest of the condo. With an important visitor expected, wife will have me working all day.

On this long holiday weekend (in the States, anyway): May your grills be hot, your beers/beverages be cold, and your relatives entertaining. Stay safe, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back