Running Bear's June 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning.... Thanks for all the likes on the sunset. It's been clear for a few days so the sun has no clouds to paint any reflections in the sky. Next on the list is to paint the pool deck which will require power washing first.

Good Morning All. Summer officially starts here at 4:44 CDT. Right now it's mostly cloudy and 66°, momentary pause in the rain that wasn't even in the forecast. Much to the surprise of the weatherman, the thunderstorms that were removed from Sunday night's forecast made an appearance yesterday evening, with a vengeance. Loud, windy and somewhat heavy. 1.25" in the first two hours, 2.5" total in the last 10 hours. Doesn't appear that there was any runoff since it has been 35 days since the last rain. Won't be mowing today, but it's coming up by Monday.

How about some poached eggs and Canadian Bacon for breakfast this morning Francine. Maybe a couple of pieces of raisin toast to go with it.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments yesterday; Mikey, Tom O, Sherrel, James, Karl, Patrick, Rick, Jerome, Chet, Chad, Curt, Joe, Guy, Garry, Ken, David.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I finished up painting some figures for use in the CUP (Charlottesville Urbanization Project).
06-20-20 001.JPG

All of these are Preiser figures that I have painted. These all got a dull coat finish to prevent fading in the sunlight/fluorescent light. Placement will begin today or tomorrow.
I spent most of my time adding some of the remaining roadways.
06-20-20 002.JPG

including this one still under weight.
06-20-20 003.JPG

In the foreground of the first picture, you can see the small strip of ground cover that I added along the main line, and between the two tracks.
That will continue as I get bored with other aspects of the project.
Started the ground cover (including a small parking lot) on the other end (the middle really) of the road next to the future historical museum
06-20-20 005.JPG

I am also going to use an older P2K switcher for a static display at the museum. Here it is in the tentative location without the track yet. Hoping to find a wooden caboose to go along with it.
06-20-20 004.JPG

My plan calls for using some Atlas Hairpin Fencing alongside the track for citizen safety. I don't presently have enough and it's on the shopping list for when I visit the LHS next Friday.
Not too sure how much I will get done today, as I have a huge indoor project to do while my wife is gone for the day. It's going to be a surprise to her. It's called "clean out and organize" the smaller of our two freezers.

Mikey -
Willie- you seem to accomplish more in a short time working on your layout than I do working all day.
Thanks. Some days I wish that I could spend more time, but then it might be just like having a job again. LOL
Chet - The paint was indeed a good find, especially since it was Polly Scale and was still in perfect shape after seven years.
Joe - An interesting aside about Juneteenth is that Texas was the first state to make it a state holiday in 1980.
In case we don't see you before Tuesday, my very best wishes on the upcoming knee replacement.
Keep being cynical about government, the alternative is CA or NY although NJ is pretty close sometimes.

I know that this might be political, but I am declaring my 15 acres as an occupied zone, MRROZ. Only model railroaders or sympathizers will be allowed to enter.
Everyone have a great first day of summer. I am about to embark on my daily walk to see how well Mother Nature washed everything off.

Louis:. What in the world is it ?
This might help, a bit newer
1592654684619.png

Must admit I wondered just how they were used myself. I was envisaging some balance setup so this car sat on one track on the end of a balance bar while the loaded cars passed by on another next to it on the other end of the balance bar, but pictures show no sign of the test car in the vicinity, so as this is how the weigh scale looks, it must be that the track section of the scale can float on it's weighing mechanism. The test car being of a predetermined maximum weight, 82000lb in this case, is used to adjust the scale to zero.
1592655744718.png

Last edited:
View attachment 114590

Louis - That B&O F unit is one sorry ass looking locomotive.

Sherrel - That Frisco unit is something to be proud of.

Joe - Your B&O power also looks a lot netter then the one Louis posted. Thanks for the comments on the NP photos. We took our '59 Impala on a road trip a few years back and got so many comments on it. It was hard to get to a few times trying to get through a crowd to get to it.

Curt - You're making good progress. Thanks for the comments on the photos.

Tom - Nice sunset photo.

Karl - Renovation help ??? Might be more than a couple of weekends.

Willie - Like the photos as usual. That bottle of paint was a good find. Every once in a while I'll also run across a bottle or two of Floquil that I put away and forget where they were put.

The rain did a lot of good to the lawn and trees. Back to warmer weather. Out of the 40's back up into the 70's.

View attachment 114591

Later

Chet- today is my Friday(Sun/Mon is my weekend).

Morning from out here. Supposed to reach 80 today with partly cloudy skies. Was 79 yesterday - the temp has been climbing one degree a day - this is perfect ... leave the thermostat alone!

Howdy, Francine ... asking for a Western Omelet this morning with a couple of sausage patties beside it, please.

Making a run to the Salvation Army with a trunk full of "stuff" this morning. I almost have enough things out of the way now to get to the water softener I have to pick up the dog poo before I go as today is the lawn mowing day for the gardener.

JOE - Know you are busy - just wanted to wish you the best on the upcoming surgery!

Dave, PV -- Your remark above made me laugh!

I talked to PHIL yesterday! Caught him between rounds with the lawnmower - you know, cut a little - rest a little sort of thing. We remised over the fact that our yute is gone (lol) - and we tarout more easily.

Happy Solstice Day All ... hate to think that the days will be shorter now. I like the long daylight hours!

Joe ... I like the Spirit of St Louis Photo even though PC trains were ugly.

Garry: For some reason, I think this is really the Penn Texas, because the Westbound "Spirit" supposedly had an RPO until Amtrak took over. I might be wrong on this, the last time I rode this train was 1969. It was considered a Blue Ribbon Train, but by the looks of things, the blue ribbon is very tarnished.
The Westbound "Spirit" was actually a combination of the All Pullman "Spirit of St Louis"; the All Coach "Jeffersonian", the All Pullman "Indianapolis Limited' and the Coach and Pullman "Cincinnati Limited". By the '70s, this was represented by one sleeper to St. Louis, 1 Coach to St. Louis, A Sleeper Lounge, sleeper and dining car to Indianapolis and a sleeper and coach to Cincinnatti that dropped off at Columbus. This service began to deteriorate back in the early '50s, and the decline accelerated in the '60s. Blame it on the Jets. The route had little to generate business once the mode monopoly
ended at the end of WW2.

David: Not for nothing, joints deteriorate to the point where they wear away and cease to be functional. They are like Universal joints on machinery. Once they are gone, they have to be replaced or else the machine or person no longer can function. An MIT PHD in Engineering should know that.
My knees took an exceptional beating, because I chose to work in knee unfriendly occupations, such as the Army, the Fire Department and the railroad. No supplement or Holistic based treatment is going to work once the joint reaches a certain state. I've put this off for over 10 years, so I have had a lot of time to experiment with non surgical cures.

Terry: Jersey shut down all DMV offices. Transactions that could not be handled on line had their expirations extended until the emergency is lifted.
Your problem was caused by your insurance carrier "ratting you out". That's what's wrong with mandatory insurance. They have access to DMV computers and can cause problems without intervention from state workers. Good luck. Yoy do have a receipt for turning in the vehicle, don't you?
No vehicle, no need for registration or insurance...

Train 1111 @ South Amboy 09_03_1965.jpg

Westbound "Coaster" # 1111 prepares to depart South Amboy in 1965.
Sharp as a Pistol, in Bristol Eeast Penn Rwy crosses Hwy US 13.jpg

The Train in Bristol, is Sharp as a Pistol, when it does the "Bristol Stomp". Penn Eastern Rail switcher crew crosses Highway US 13 in Bristol, PA. This particular track used to be known as the 3M Lead during Conrail Days.

Morning from out here. Supposed to reach 80 today with partly cloudy skies. Was 79 yesterday - the temp has been climbing one degree a day - this is perfect ... leave the thermostat alone!

Howdy, Francine ... asking for a Western Omelet this morning with a couple of sausage patties beside it, please.

Making a run to the Salvation Army with a trunk full of "stuff" this morning. I almost have enough things out of the way now to get to the water softener I have to pick up the dog poo before I go as today is the lawn mowing day for the gardener.

JOE - Know you are busy - just wanted to wish you the best on the upcoming surgery!

Dave, PV -- Your remark above made me laugh!
Sherrel, I cant even finish my "hobo" scene under the bridge because the hobos havn't retired from their truckdriving jobs yet. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back