Running Bear's June 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
104865026_270109660763561_8907877218490906675_n.jpg

David: Not for nothing, joints deteriorate to the point where they wear away and cease to be functional. They are like Universal joints on machinery. Once they are gone, they have to be replaced or else the machine or person no longer can function. An MIT PHD in Engineering should know that.
My knees took an exceptional beating, because I chose to work in knee unfriendly occupations, such as the Army, the Fire Department and the railroad. No supplement or Holistic based treatment is going to work once the joint reaches a certain state. I've put this off for over 10 years, so I have had a lot of time to experiment with non surgical cures.

David: Not for nothing, joints deteriorate to the point where they wear away and cease to be functional. They are like Universal joints on machinery. Once they are gone, they have to be replaced or else the machine or person no longer can function. An MIT PHD in Engineering should know that.
My knees took an exceptional beating, because I chose to work in knee unfriendly occupations, such as the Army, the Fire Department and the railroad. No supplement or Holistic based treatment is going to work once the joint reaches a certain state. I've put this off for over 10 years, so I have had a lot of time to experiment with non surgical cures.
Boris:

While I agree joints in our body due wear, which I'm experiencing with my hip joint, I also know that eating the correct diet and taking the correct suppliments, as may be needed, will aid the body in rebuilding itself, just as broken bones knit back together again, so our arm or leg is again functional. Which unfortunately takes time.

Big pharma and I believe much of the medical establishment isn't very truthful with everyone as it eats away from their bottom line as they are not out to heal us but sell us prescriptions! I don't like putting foreign substances in my body.

So far, after switching over to taking Collegen ll, along with things mentioned by both Dr. Shiva and Dr. Hoffman, I seem to be experiencing some relief from prior aches and pains so it seems I'm on the right track, code 70, for me.

Joe, you should be getting back to normal fairly soon.

Last edited:
Good evening ...

I just heard the ice cream brand, Eskimo Pie, will be discontinued in order for the parent company to be more politically correct. The term is said to be "derogatory". .... I hate to think what will be next.

Joe ... Best wishes for your surgery. I like the streetcar photo. You mentioned riding on the Elctroliner. I rode on it between Chicago and Milwaukee in the front seat a couple of times. It could go very fast.

35959294783_9c0e3a9fd8_z.jpg

Sherrel ..... I like the Frsco train. Interestingly, it had aa Baldwin switcher.

Guy .... Looking forward to your building the layout. I like the firetruck.

Willie .... It looked stormy in your pictures. Nice work on your downtown scene.

James .... LOL at the cartoon about the cell phone.

Everybody .... Have a nice night.

Garry: For some reason, I think this is really the Penn Texas, because the Westbound "Spirit" supposedly had an RPO until Amtrak took over. I might be wrong on this, the last time I rode this train was 1969. It was considered a Blue Ribbon Train, but by the looks of things, the blue ribbon is very tarnished.
The Westbound "Spirit" was actually a combination of the All Pullman "Spirit of St Louis"; the All Coach "Jeffersonian", the All Pullman "Indianapolis Limited' and the Coach and Pullman "Cincinnati Limited". By the '70s, this was represented by one sleeper to St. Louis, 1 Coach to St. Louis, A Sleeper Lounge, sleeper and dining car to Indianapolis and a sleeper and coach to Cincinnatti that dropped off at Columbus. This service began to deteriorate back in the early '50s, and the decline accelerated in the '60s. Blame it on the Jets. The route had little to generate business once the mode monopoly
ended at the end of WW2.

Terry: Jersey shut down all DMV offices. Transactions that could not be handled on line had their expirations extended until the emergency is lifted.
Your problem was caused by your insurance carrier "ratting you out". That's what's wrong with mandatory insurance. They have access to DMV computers and can cause problems without intervention from state workers. Good luck. Yoy do have a receipt for turning in the vehicle, don't you?
No vehicle, no need for registration or insurance...
Garry: For some reason, I think this is really the Penn Texas, because the Westbound "Spirit" supposedly had an RPO until Amtrak took over. I might be wrong on this, the last time I rode this train was 1969. It was considered a Blue Ribbon Train, but by the looks of things, the blue ribbon is very tarnished.
The Westbound "Spirit" was actually a combination of the All Pullman "Spirit of St Louis"; the All Coach "Jeffersonian", the All Pullman "Indianapolis Limited' and the Coach and Pullman "Cincinnati Limited". By the '70s, this was represented by one sleeper to St. Louis, 1 Coach to St. Louis, A Sleeper Lounge, sleeper and dining car to Indianapolis and a sleeper and coach to Cincinnatti that dropped off at Columbus. This service began to deteriorate back in the early '50s, and the decline accelerated in the '60s. Blame it on the Jets. The route had little to generate business once the mode monopoly
ended at the end of WW2.

Boris:

While I agree joints in our body due wear, which I'm experiencing with my hip joint, I also know that eating the correct diet and taking the correct suppliments, as may be needed, will aid the body in rebuilding itself, just as broken bones knit back together again, so our arm or leg is again functional. Which unfortunately takes time.

Big pharma and I believe much of the medical establishment isn't very truthful with everyone as it eats away from their bottom line as they are not out to heal us but sell us prescriptions! I don't like putting foreign substances in my body.

So far, after switching over to taking Collegen ll, along with things mentioned by both Dr. Shiva and Dr. Hoffman, I seem to be experiencing some relief from prior aches and pains so it seems I'm on the right track, code 70, for me.

Joe, you should be getting back to normal fairly soon.

Ok, heard from both sons today. One call from Afghanistan, the other North Carolina. Nothing like being close, eh?

Sherrel: Nice photo. No need for steam heat there. Sort of resembles the PRSL using Switcher units for passenger trains. Baldwin, no less.

NY Fire Wire reported 21 Shootings in NYC over the last 24 hours, ending 0900 this morning.

Wife and I managed to wash both the car and the pick-up this morning. The 45° driveway sure wreaked havoc on my knees. 🥵 Cars look good though. All the pollen and other matter has washed away.

View attachment 114623
The Sharon Hill Trolley departing 69th St. Terminal in 1968. Double ended Brill streetcar. While I rode the P&W Bullet Cars and the Electroliner on the 69th St - Norristown Interurban, I never rode either the Sharon hill or Media Trolleys.

Boris:
Glad to know both sons contacted you, especially the one in Afghanistan !

Good morning. 73 and sunny, going to the upper 80s today.

Garry, David and others, thanks for the good wishes. Everything isset, just waiting for the COVID Results, and the reporting time, for tomorrow.

Best wishes for your surgery. I like the streetcar photo. You mentioned riding on the Elctroliner. I rode on it between Chicago and Milwaukee

Garry: 69th St to Norristown, wasn't quite Chicago and Milwaukee, but it was cool to get a coke and chips from the snack car. They ran on outside third rail on the P&W.

I just heard the ice cream brand, Eskimo Pie, will be discontinued in order for the parent company to be more politically correct. The term is said to be "derogatory".

Garry: First reaction to your post was "Do they still make them?" But it appears business is in over reaction mode.

Morning all,

Happy belated father's day to all the dads!

Coffee this morning and a sweet roll, thanks Flo!

Got a new air filter and serpentine belt put in the truck on Friday. Place that does my oil changes recommended both be changed at a cost of $175 for both (air filter was $45 and Belt was $85 + $45 labor). I ordered the belt and air filter from Rock Auto and with shipping spent $62.47. % minutes for the air filter and 20 minutes on the belt. This one was easy as I didn't have to over the fan or remove any engine supports. In all fairness it had stretched over an inch over the past 11 years and 171,000+ miles. I have a little squeak in the tensioner on startup but that wasn't unexpected. I'll replace when it either fails or the engine fails. Right now it's just noise in an 11 year old truck.

Did get some train time yesterday and figured out more on my air brush. I've found I needed to thin the paint a lot more than I had previously. I started some paint on the tracks. I found some older Art paint that one of the daughter's left behind that I think looks pretty good, but I need to find another bottle of it. Color is called "grapevine", it's a medium brown. I'm not sure if they got it at Micheal's or Walmart.

I started to look at one of the model kits I picked up in one of my auction bundles. It's an Alexander Scale model kit of a B&O interlock tower.

s-l1600.jpg

It's old enough that their address in is Grand Rapids MI, and they are now in Benton Harbor. They still sell the kit $63.00, my box says $5.95. The paper parts have the old paper smell. I've got to figure out the color scheme and then get the paint. They give the original colors as yellow with black trim and a slate roof.

BO-Interlocking-Tower.png

(Image of completed model from Alexander's web page)

Although it could be any color, I am going to use it in the switch yard as a control building.

Good Morning All. 66° with heavy, noisy thunderstorms. Once again, this event as well as yesterdays and Friday nights were not in the forecast. After much house shaking thunder for four hours yesterday, the rain finally hit around 8:00 am. By noon when it stopped, I had 1.75" in the gauge. So far since 1:30 this morning I have an additional 1.1" with more coming. Looks like about another two hours of this stuff. After 35 days without rain, we have gotten 5.35" since Friday night. Take that Sherrel!;) I didn't pump enough water out of the pool yesterday for this. Ironically, the Flash Flood Watch for yesterday has expired and a new one has not yet been issued.
A view of my overfilled pond behind the train shed.
06-22-20 003.JPG

Another view at the inlet.
06-22-20 002.JPG

Those large trees are normally about 5' from the waters edge. No mowing today!:(

A large stack of blueberry pancakes with a stack of sausage patties for me this morning, Flo.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the slow progress; Guy, Phil, Garry, Jerome, Karl, Sherrel, Ken, Curt, Patrick.

Yesterday was mostly a "catch up on loose ends" day in the train shed. Painted some more on some figures that I will be using, added figures to several structures, vacuumed up construction debris and pondered.
I gave the liquor store a proper name and made and applied a sign along with the customers out front.
06-22-20 005.JPG

And a few more in front of Miss Mary's.
06-22-20 009.JPG

Down the block, Vivian's Shoe Store got a few more.
06-22-20 008.JPG

As did Sally's Antiques.
06-22-20 007.JPG

It's a bit windy around the corner where Jake has to hold on to his hat.
06-22-20 010.JPG

I found a business on the "salvaged from the old layout" storage shelf that I might use in this scene.
06-22-20 006.JPG

It's called "Honest Sam's Used Cars". I think that it was a Tyco kit when I bought it years ago. It's advertised on Walther's as an IHC kit currently still available. It's in need of some work.

Guy - I am not too pleased with all of the window treatments in that structure either. Some are a bit garish and most of the upper floor are a bit out of scale.
The fire truck seems like a neat project. I am sure that you will post pictures when the time comes. Likewise for the first module.
Sherrel - I love the sign on the structure behind the engine in your picture in post #611. Community Abattoir
Joe -
NY Fire Wire reported 21 Shootings in NYC over the last 24 hours, ending 0900 this morning.
Is that the result of the "No Bail" law, or the elimination of 600 plain-clothes cops? Or a combination of both as well as other factors? Maybe "Stop and Frisk" wasn't such a bad idea.
Curt - Not good to read about the do-over on the first module. Thankfully you caught the issue before getting too far into the project.

I believe that today is National Onion Rings Day. Mmmmh Good!
Everybody have a great day.

Waddy'know, there's an MRL railway in Western Australia. "Mineral Resources Limited". Owns an Iron ore mine, port facilities and the rails to service them. Not sure what the locos are, but I would guess they're SD70ACe based. Or it could be they're some of the rebuilt SD90MAH. The cab styling has been pretty much standard for a number of years Aussie wide.

1592828242598.png

Good Evening,

Had a really good day today. My son and daughter got together and got me a T-shirt with the ship's seal from every sub I served on (5). I was blown away by the thoughtful gifts. We went to Red Robin for lunch then back home for blackberry cobbler and ice cream. Needless to say I'm skipping supper tonight. :)

I've decided to rebuild the first module I built. It needs to be 2" longer and I'm not happy with the legs (leaning). I need to build it with the lessons learned from other modules. Best to do it right at this stage before continuing on with more modules.

Garry- That's a really bad joke.

Willie- Nice pictures.

Joe- Interesting photos.

Guy- Good for you.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: That's exactly correct, get it right to begin with. Possibly just straightening the legs and adding a 2" 'L' to the end will resolve the situation ?

Afternoon All,

Spent the day rebuilding the first module. I was able to use a good bit of the old one. I also extended it by 2'' so the end sits closer to the wall. It looks the same (other than the legs) so no picture today. I made up a Lowes shopping list for tomorrow and 1 day this week I need to replace 2 lower screens on the pool deck.

Garry- Interesting photos. The colors on the one is different.

Joe- It was nice your son was able to call you yesterday. Good luck with your procedure tomorrow.

Patrick- That will be a interesting build.

Willie- Great signage and details. Does the pond overfill equal more mosquitoes.

CA Dave- I wanted to not only fix the legs but add 2 inches to the length.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Is that the result of the "No Bail" law, or the elimination of 600 plain-clothes cops? Or a combination of both as well as other factors?

Willie: Not sure, but it was greater than normal. Perhaps pent up resentment among the folks involved. Strange thing is this event went on un noticed beyond the confines of New York Fire Wire, a site that reports Fire alarms, working fires and EMS dispatches. Keep in mind that these were "shootings" and not all were necessarily fatal, but in a city where they count unintended gunshot victims as accidental deaths rather than homicides, anything is possible. I can say more about selective media reporting, but why bother. It is what it is...

Good luck with your procedure tomorrow.

Thank you Curt. Good to fix the module now, rather than later when the layout is disrupted. Keep the photos coming. BTW, the son's deployment, has already been extended a month due to Corona, and will run through Mid July. Once they get back to the US, they will quarantine for 14 days, before they can have contact with their families. They have been cautious in usage of protective devices and isolation, while continuing to maintain operations. OTOH, the Brits and the Ugandans are having a difficult time with Corona running amuck through their ranks.

OK, I cut the lawn once more today, then trimmed and edged and cleaned up. (Can't hurt nothing"), I'm done until next year. I plan on hiring someone for the balance of the season. Hopefully we will get enough rain to keep it looking as it is right now. The new RMC arrived today. Has a few interesting craftsman type articles.

Ken: Don't forget to order your B&O cabin cars. I almost bit on the 1978 Chessie scheme, before I came to my senses....I model PRR/PC and Reading :rolleyes: They are really nice cabins.

B&O Station Pittsburgh.jpg

The B&O Passenger terminal fronting Grant Street, in Pittsburgh, PA. Built in 1956, it was the last major city passenger terminal built by a private railroad in the US. It was the terminal forthe Pittsburgh, Mckeesport and Connellsville commuter service and the (Philadelphia) Baltimore, Washington and Pittsburgh Intercity service powered by Budd RDC cars. Good modeling project.

B&O Grant St. Pittsburgh April 1969.jpg

Last edited:
Good Morning All. 66° with heavy, noisy thunderstorms. Once again, this event as well as yesterdays and Friday nights were not in the forecast. After much house shaking thunder for four hours yesterday, the rain finally hit around 8:00 am. By noon when it stopped, I had 1.75" in the gauge. So far since 1:30 this morning I have an additional 1.1" with more coming. Looks like about another two hours of this stuff. After 35 days without rain, we have gotten 5.35" since Friday night. Take that Sherrel!;) I didn't pump enough water out of the pool yesterday for this. Ironically, the Flash Flood Watch for yesterday has expired and a new one has not yet been issued.
A view of my overfilled pond behind the train shed.
View attachment 114655
Another view at the inlet.
View attachment 114656
Those large trees are normally about 5' from the waters edge. No mowing today!:(

A large stack of blueberry pancakes with a stack of sausage patties for me this morning, Flo.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the slow progress; Guy, Phil, Garry, Jerome, Karl, Sherrel, Ken, Curt, Patrick.

Yesterday was mostly a "catch up on loose ends" day in the train shed. Painted some more on some figures that I will be using, added figures to several structures, vacuumed up construction debris and pondered.
I gave the liquor store a proper name and made and applied a sign along with the customers out front.
View attachment 114657
And a few more in front of Miss Mary's.
View attachment 114658
Down the block, Vivian's Shoe Store got a few more.
View attachment 114659
As did Sally's Antiques.
View attachment 114660
It's a bit windy around the corner where Jake has to hold on to his hat.
View attachment 114661
I found a business on the "salvaged from the old layout" storage shelf that I might use in this scene.
View attachment 114662
It's called "Honest Sam's Used Cars". I think that it was a Tyco kit when I bought it years ago. It's advertised on Walther's as an IHC kit currently still available. It's in need of some work.

Guy - I am not too pleased with all of the window treatments in that structure either. Some are a bit garish and most of the upper floor are a bit out of scale.
The fire truck seems like a neat project. I am sure that you will post pictures when the time comes. Likewise for the first module.
Sherrel - I love the sign on the structure behind the engine in your picture in post #611. Community Abattoir
Joe -

Is that the result of the "No Bail" law, or the elimination of 600 plain-clothes cops? Or a combination of both as well as other factors? Maybe "Stop and Frisk" wasn't such a bad idea.
Curt - Not good to read about the do-over on the first module. Thankfully you caught the issue before getting too far into the project.

I believe that today is National Onion Rings Day. Mmmmh Good!
Everybody have a great day.

Willie: It sure looks as though you got a considerable amount of rain. I hope the ponf has a lower drainage than your train she'd ?

I really like the various window treatments as to the curtains etc ! Very imaginative indeed and the people certainly add to the scenes.

Good morning. It's mostly clear and 69. According to the weather app on my computer, it's only supposed to get to 83 today. Yesterday it forecast 82, but the high was 94. The radio forecast was closer, called for 95.

Activity is a little slow on the forum the last couple of days.
I am i a rut working on the log load. Tilt the load, remove loose logs and glue back in place and wait for white glue to dry.
Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
Mikey, I think you may gave found the model railroading version of Willy Wonka's Everlasting Gobstopper. You're never done with it. Have you considered baking the logs in the oven to dry them out before gluing them in? Some guys do that with natural scenery materials to kill critters.

Morning all,

Mostly clear and 64* this morning in Doo-Dah. Supposed to get to 84* today with the humidity at about 70% it's gonna feel hot.

Activity on boards is always slow in the summer as people find other things to get them out of the house. On a side note, I think the noise from the tensioner on the truck has worked itself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back