Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning from the West.
Supposed to reach 65 for a high today up from a 57 high yesterday, and that is down from a 77 high two days back. I guess the roller coaster temps have to do with winter? Yesterday it looked as if the skies would open up for a deluge all day and all we received was a few sprinkles - just enough to need the wipers on/off every now and then; by the time the wipers made a couple passes - it would stop, and by the tie you turned the switch 0ff, it would start again!

EVERYONE: Love the really great pictures- (Justin, Jim, Joe, Garry, Alan, Curt, Johnny, Willie, Johnny, Chet) - If I missed someone, plz forgive me?

I am supposed to go to a funeral/memorial service in Laughlin tomorrow ... don't feel like going, but hate not to make an appearance. I will be AWOL from the forum for a couple days ... hope that does not upset anyone, LOL.

Still no word from the insurance company on my truck, however, my mechanic, who does constant restoration on older vehicles has located a 2004 Ford Ranger 4 door from one of his clients. He says that it has new tires, new paint, top engine overhaul done by him and offered at $3000 ... only drawback I can see is that it has 200k miles. Shawn says he will stand behind it, so I am going to run down and take a look at it this morning. Since I hardly drove my truck 4-5000 miles a year, it just may last me the remainder of my driving life - provided that I do not have another accident!
Can't believe that I have flown all over the world, driven in at least 20 countries and have never bent a wing tip or fender in 62 years -- and now this has happened?

TERRY - So glad and thankful that things are improving around your homestead!

GARRY -- Forgot to mention -- I did see that FRISCO TRANSPORTATION trailer in your beautiful photo this morning. Here's one back at you?

1578672900878.png

Was 21F at around 7:30am. Up to 28F now as we approach 10am. Last night there were some snow flurries and some parts got a small amount of accumulation. Supposed to be snow showers the next few days, but right now it looks like the sun is sneaking through a hole in the clouds. I hope the snow stays away through Saturday as my son is down in Cedar City with the HS Swim Team he is on (but not the school he goes to as he goes to a charter HS without a sports program). I don't want the bus to have to go through the mountains in a snow storm to get back on Saturday.

Nothing train related to report. Still working on getting everything ready for construction loan and permitting of new house in a couple months.

Good Morning Everyone........................sunny for the time being, the calm before the storm. Still heavy snow coming Saturday into Sunday. The birds are very active feeding at the bird feeders my wife has in the yard at a cost of maybe $15 a week for feed since the deer are here every night as well and are tame and we watch the deer through the window just a few feet away. Bird know when a winter storm is coming.

Air brushes....going partially disassemble the brushes and soak the parts in GOO Gone to see if the brushes can't be saved. It maybe just a minor clog that's keeping the paint from flowing in one and air flow in the other brush. I did drop the control button from one air brush and its hiding on the floor somewhere where I can't see it. It's amazing how dropped parts can travel so far. If I can't get the brushes clean, I'll buy another Badger Model 200 air brush since I have an inventory of spare parts.

I have to clean up my work area before doing any more modeling. I tend to get messy.

Going to run the "Troublesome Diesel" today and see if there any problems running through the area where I repaired the short section of track. I sure like the sound of the SD-39 locomotive. I'll let the loco pull the track cleaning cars.

Snow shovelers are needed at Lambeau Field for Sunday's Packer playoff game. Been to games after a snow storm when the stadium wasn't completely shoveled and it's a real trip, but NO fun sitting on the cold aluminum seats. Newcomers don't realize that during cold weather, renting seat cushions is a must to keep your butt warm during the game. When going to a winter Packer game I also bring bubble wrap that I can put my feet on to insulate my boots from the cold concrete. Even at zero degrees....a beer and a brat tastes good!!!

That's all to report.

Garry: Sorry to see the photo of the dismantling of your layout. Sad, but a fresh start.

Like Sherrel said before "Great pictures everyone."

Later guys.

Greg

#####################

1578676773560.png

I forgot to mention that I received the replacement parts from Athearn in less than a week at no charge for the truck bottom clip. Great customer service!

Chet: One of the answers to a question on the Jeopardy Challenge was the Gallatin River.

1578678861671.png

That's all.

Greg

Afternoon All,

The roofers started at 7 am today...no sleeping in. I boxed up the track and turnouts then cut up 3 pieces of the layout base before getting a phone call that daughters dryer drum wasn't turning:mad::mad:. So off to daughters house and tore it apart again. For some reason the drum will only turn when filled about a 1/3 full. Any fuller and the drum just sits. I don't know what the issue is.

Joe- That's going to be a really nice area when it's complete. Nice 1:1 shot.

Terry- They deserve to be investigated.

Phil- That's pretty good.

Justin- Nice photos.

Alan- Nice looking loco and video.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Morning Everyone........................sunny for the time being, the calm before the storm. Still heavy snow coming Saturday into Sunday. The birds are very active feeding at the bird feeders my wife has in the yard at a cost of maybe $15 a week for feed since the deer are here every night as well and are tame and we watch the deer through the window just a few feet away. Bird know when a winter storm is coming.

Air brushes....going partially disassemble the brushes and soak the parts in GOO Gone to see if the brushes can't be saved. It maybe just a minor clog that's keeping the paint from flowing in one and air flow in the other brush. I did drop the control button from one air brush and its hiding on the floor somewhere where I can't see it. It's amazing how dropped parts can travel so far. If I can't get the brushes clean, I'll buy another Badger Model 200 air brush since I have an inventory of spare parts.

I have to clean up my work area before doing any more modeling. I tend to get messy.

Going to run the "Troublesome Diesel" today and see if there any problems running through the area where I repaired the short section of track. I sure like the sound of the SD-39 locomotive. I'll let the loco pull the track cleaning cars.

Snow shovelers are needed at Lambeau Field for Sunday's Packer playoff game. Been to games after a snow storm when the stadium wasn't completely shoveled and it's a real trip, but NO fun sitting on the cold aluminum seats. Newcomers don't realize that during cold weather, renting seat cushions is a must to keep your butt warm during the game. When going to a winter Packer game I also bring bubble wrap that I can put my feet on to insulate my boots from the cold concrete. Even at zero degrees....a beer and a brat tastes good!!!

That's all to report.

Garry: Sorry to see the photo of the dismantling of your layout. Sad, but a fresh start.

Like Sherrel said before "Great pictures everyone."

Later guys.

Greg

#####################

View attachment 43071
Simple green would be better than Goo Gone. Lacquer thinner would be even better. If lacquer thinner won’t clear it out you’ll need dynamite

Happy friday fellers. Supposed to continue warming up for us here. Ran some trains this morning for a little bit. I still have some work to do on my track. I cant figure out how it gets dirty so quickly. Well maybe not dirty so much as I suppose I'm having connectivity issues somehow. I watched a video on applying graphite to the rails. Not enough to leave a mess just enough to coat the rails so that it won't get into the gears. Anyone done this?
Never used graphite just a bright boy and the CRC 2-26.

And now a weather update. The wonderful weather that we have been having here has given way to Mother Nature's wrath. Between 3:30 and 3:40, I got 1" of rain; another 1" has since fallen. Lots of thunder and lightning and a number of power failures lasting a few seconds to one lasting over five minutes. We're under a flash flood warning which doesn't affect me unless I go driving south about 3/4 mile. There an adjoining field will overflow the culvert and cover the road about a foot deep...never lasting more than an hour or so normally. My yard is flooded and the pond is full. Runoff from the pond and my front yard is covering the road out front, but it's shallow and passable. Apparently not so elsewhere as the local school bus was over an hour late coming by here this evening. The tornado warning has been downgraded to a tornado watch here but not elsewhere. The wind is about to switch directions from the NW which should clear things out in a couple of hours. It will however drop the temperature which is currently at 65° to below freezing by morning. Back to the mid-60's on Sunday for a while.
Life as it is here in North Central Texas. Everybody north and east beware and be safe.

What about a report of
Flip:
Folks who are unpopular, for what ever reason, frequently are accused without any real justification.

Depends on which side of the climate change war you talk to mate. The battles aren't all on the firegrounds.

Ray: True. When ever a nation has to live through a disaster, everyone looks for a scape goat. based on what has happened here, I suspect that some of the fires were deliberately set, but not all of them. The fire takes on a life of it's own, and the firestorm spawns additional fires. That's nature. Hope y'all get some relief down there.

Apria has been reported for Medicare fraud, after they refused to refund the $$$ they took for something they can't by law charge for.
Terry: Hope they nail them. I'm getting real tired of businesses targeting Medicare aged people with all sorts of scams, that while perhaps are not ilegal, are unethical. As it happens today, I got a real whopper solicitation in the mail, for an insurance plan, that very few folks may ever even have an opportunity to collect on, from a normally reputable insurer. Marketing by fright. They think we all suddenly became stupid and vulnerable once we turned 65, and went on medicare.

Boris

Ray: True. When ever a nation has to live through a disaster, everyone looks for a scape goat. based on what has happened here, I suspect that some of the fires were deliberately set, but not all of them. The fire takes on a life of it's own, and the firestorm spawns additional fires. That's nature. Hope y'all get some relief down there.
The NSW Rural Fire Assoc gave out a list a couple of weeks ago of the numbers that had been charged. The majority were for lighting unrelated fires during a total ban, a few for attempted backburning without a permit and only a handful for deliberate ones. No reports of any specific group or terrorist attempts. The firies themselves had a backburn, backfire, literally that cost 10 homes in one town. Crap happens when the place is absolutely tinder dry. One young guy has been refused bail on charges a setting 4 cars alight, old mattresses and rubbish he's dumped, but no bush fires were caused. He admitted to the court he needs help. A TV crew interviewed a lady who watched her house go 'up' just before she was going to go back and try to retrieve more stuff. Saw the fire race across the short grass, under the raised deck and the house just explode into flames. Houses go up quicker than the trees from the radiating heat. The houses get reduced to just ashes and what's left of tin roofs. Back in December, they showed a car, parked out on the roadside, with thick rivulets of melted aluminum, running into the drainage ditch, from the engine bay and wheels. Sheep, that had been caught out in fields were fully cremated. The Southern states have been getting the worst of it, from east to west, with reports from yesterdays heat and high winds combining 3 major fires on the NSW/Vic border into 1 mega fire. Some rain is forecast for the weekend, hopefully it'll at least, dampen it.

Good Morning All. 30° and overcast with a little bit of snow. A large area of snow is moving in from the west according to the radar. It's expected to be quite heavy making visibility difficult. It won't stick since all of the ground is extremely wet from the rain yesterday. Besides that the high today will be in the mid-40's and then the wind switches again from the south after sunset and we're back in the 60's tomorrow through Wednesday. Flash flood warnings exist all around; but most of the flow off my property has stopped. Waiting for daylight to see what the lake across the road looks like if the snow doesn't obscure the view too much.

Need a hearty breakfast this morning Flo, sausage patties and a loaded omelet with a couple of thick buttered English Muffins for me.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the progress on the Majestic Hardware structure; Phil, Sherrel, Justin, Garry, Patrick, Chet, Chad, Alan, Jerome, Bob, Tom, Ken, Hughie, Jim, Joe.

Couldn't do any real modeling out in the train shed yesterday, despite being sorta trapped out there during the heavy thunderstorms. We kept getting power interruptions which while none were very significant, they could have been. I did run trains and even added some weeds to localized parts of the layout.
So it's back to the archives for this one. One of two Walther's Merchant's Row I structures that I have.
01-08-20.2 003.JPG

01-08-20.2 005.JPG

Chet - Hot springs sounds like a really good adventure. Could be quite therapeutic as well.
Sherrel - Good to talk with you yesterday. Have a safe trip to Laughlin.
Greg - I wouldn't be using Goo-Gone to soak airbrush parts in, it leaves quite a sticky residue. Lacquer thinner as Alan suggested would be the best choice. Beer and brat tastes good at any temperature, just not sure I would endure Lambeau Field in January after a snowstorm to enjoy it though. Actually I am positive that I wouldn't enjoy it.
Curt - While it is a real shame that you have to dismantle the layout, you're making excellent progress.:(

Well I guess that I was wrong about the snow sticking. Here's Fluffy eating breakfast; he doesn't seem to mind.
20200111_073505.jpg

Everyone have a great day and a wonderful weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back