Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, America! Looks like we may have gotten very lucky! We had temps around 50-54 all day yesterday, with light mist in the afternoon. That changed to off and on rain, heavy at times, with some thunder and lightning thrown in for good measure. Was supposed to be ice and freezing rain this morning, changing to snow later today with up to 5-6 inches of snow with blowing wind. Well, so far, the rain has been less than predicted and the temp is still 33 degrees and no rain. They're now calling for it to snow this afternoon with an accumulation of 2-3 inches. Hope they're right. I got the generator ready to go if needed.

Everybody stay safe and warm!
Bob, our weather seems to be almost the same as yours, just a few hours later. We escaped the initial heavy rain, but BIL in the Detroit area reports what Andy Griffith called a Frog Strangler. Right now we're getting a light mix of snow and freezing rain. I suppose I should be down in the basement with my trains, but I'm enjoying just sitting here in front of the window watching the weather, drinking a cup of coffee and with a cat sleeping on my lap.

Afternoon All,

Today I drove to Orlando to visit 4 other MRR friends. No tear down today. I have 1-2 days left to go.

Joe- You and me both and I don't even get Medicare yet.

Bob- Thanks for the dryer advice. Nice photo.

Chet- I actually put a new belt on and it's on tight. Nice looking locos.

Jim- Nice looking structures.

I hope everyone has a good night.

GREG -- Hope you have the air brushes working without having to purchase another. I have a "brand P" that I have not used in almost 30 years ... You have me wondering if it will still function at all? !

It most likely will, depending on which model it is. I have several that date back that far that still work just fine. If it's the external mix H, they are pretty much indestructible.

Howdy everyone!

Thanks to all who commented on and liked my stuff!

Willie - good that you got the Hdwe. & Feed problem fixed and it's looking better than ever.
With all of the fur and food, Fluffy looks content.
Merchants Row is a oldie, but goodie.
Sounds like a helluva storm you had yesterday and the threat of tornados :oops: but I
guess you're kind of use to it :(

Garry - excellent Blackhawk photo!

Sherrel - at $3k the Ranger is a good deal, especially when your mechanic will stand behind it. That's a
cool Frisco truck :cool:

Chet - great photos :)

Bob - nice taconite train photo! :cool:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Layout News:
I built the highway bridge across the creek and have to make 3 - stone block abutments with one in
the middle of the creek, then it will be ready for the road building crew to approach from each end.

sv8WTO9.jpg

I got these 2 buildings painted. The one on left will be Nick's Garage (in honor of my Dad) and I'm constructing
a drive-thru garage addition that will be attached on the rear.

The right building is West Penn Hdwe. & Oil Well Supply. It will also have a scratch-built warehouse addition
on the rear.

1MWY5w5.jpg

Everyone have a great day!
Jim
Be sure to post a few pics of the creek crossing. I'll be watching closely hoping to learn something!

Well good evening all. We got that wild weather Willie had talked about several hours after him. Lots of power outages. I've been busy like everyone else here at the diner, with real life comings and goings. I did manage to get a little time in the RR room. Ran some trains, a little scenery and working on the "Lady Em". In the photo she is tying up at Waterfront Willie's for some liquid libation after delivering a coal barge.
Lady Em.jpg

Howdy . Very stormy here early this morning. We had a power outage from about 7:00 am to about 3:00 pm. There was extensive damage to many buildings in our county. The only damage at our place was a tarp covering the boat got a six foot tear.

Chet, Sherrel, B Bob , Jim, and anybody I missed. Thanks for commenting on my photo of trains in my town of Blackhawk. Also thanks to the15 who liked it.

Sherrel... I like the photo you posted of the Frisco tractor trailer truck.

Greg.... I am not the one tearing down a layout. Curt is doing that. Thanks for your thoughts though.

Curt... it is sad to see your layout coming apart.

everybody .. have a good evening

One quick post before bed. Ran my errands today before the crazy weather hit. High winds tonight. That's all I can hear outside at the moment. No trains today. Hopefully i can fit some in before the weekend is out. I'm not sure of my approach here as in what I want to do on the layout. I figure I'll get something figured out. Anyways I'll share a couple pics then off to bed. Hope everyone is doing well.
FB_IMG_1578795076352.jpg
FB_IMG_1578795100520.jpg

For the last coupl'a days (or so), I've been trying to get the Win7 mini tower computer I bought, used, a few years ago, setup in the old desk I have in the garage. Apart from the physical mods, mostly the 24" monitor, minus stand, leaning against the back wall and located with strips of wood to prevent it falling on it's face, the getting the WIFI connection to work has been a bit of a hassle. We're on Broadband, with a modem within the house and because it has landline (FTTN) connected, it sits in the lounge at the closet line entry, so the base phone can be connected. It has dual 2.4 and 5Ghz and I had a couple of different brand adapters to plug into the computer. Of the dual adapters, there was one that had a minidisk to install the driver, the other without, which was supposed to find it's driver on the Net. Even though that's the same as the one I use in my Win10 machine and I remember was very straight forward to install, it wouldn't find it's driver.

I had another that was 2.4Ghz only and would find it's driver, so used it to get things going again, uninstall the old JMRI version and install the later 4.8. Slow, doing downloads of updates etc, ain't the word. So, I tried the other 5Ghz with the installation CD. The tray, which is vertical on the side, wouldn't open for quite some time, eventually did after lots of pressing it's release. Then, when putting the CD in, it would fall out, doesn't seem to be any device to locate it, so I had to lay the machine on it's side. The instructions for installing didn't match what came up onscreen with the tiny pamphlet. Fortunately what I guessed to do, worked and got me past the initial ones (there's the same brand in my wife's Win7 and I can't remember it being a problem). Anyway, it's now working with the 5Ghz connection and a lot faster. I'll have to try a standard size DVD in it to see if that falls out too, I guess it's not that much of a nuisance to lay it on it's side, if so.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 63.
The power has been off here since the storm went through about 10:30 last night. The power company estimates it will be back on by midnight tonight.
When it gets light outside, I'm going to start the generators to power the refrigerator and freezer, and charge up our electronics.
The fun never ends...

At 3 AM, I woke for my regularly scheduled excursion to the bathroom :rolleyes: then went down to work on the layout. The wind has been howling for the last 16 hours and after I was just getting into the modeling groove, the power went out. :oops::( So here I sit in the dark, on my phone, pecking out a post.
This outage is disrupting my modeling plans for the day, so the Mrs. and I just might go out for breakfast. ;):)

Last edited:
Good Morning All. 30° and clear. The snowstorm yesterday lasted for about three hours and dumped over an inch of snow on the ground. By 2:00, it was all gone. Total rainfall (and melted snow) eventually left just over 4" in the rain gauge. Fortunately the longest power failure (of many) lasted only 5-6 minutes, don't ask how that happened, as it usually either just goes off for a few seconds or it's off for several hours. Never got above 47° yesterday, but it will return to the upper 50's today with 70° predicted for later this week. So much rain fell in such a short period of time, that the lake across the road more than doubled in size from its usual 26 acres to well over 70 acres (guesstimate). Not bad as I have seen it in the 500-600 acre range before. After all, it is a Corps of Engineers flood control lake and that's what it's designed for.

Cinnamon toast and scrambled eggs this morning Francine. Double order of bacon on the side.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the MR I city block; Phil, Bob, Tom, Sherrel, Alan, Justin, Greg, Jerome, Hughie, Garry, Ken.

Ventured out to the train shed yesterday afternoon and "Oh Snap!" I forgot that when the power even flickers off for a second, the heater goes off and does not come back on unless manually reset. It was 51° out there. Couldn't do anything due to having to wear my sweatshirt. For me, long sleeves and modeling just don't mix. Ran trains for a while, then went back to the house and updated my freight car database with all of the maintenance that I did in 2019. Didn't realize that I was that far behind. 42 individual entries. Also updated the database with the six cars that I added to the roster along with their inspection results.
Well it's back to the archives again today since I didn't do anything in the train shed yesterday. Some of you may remember this mini-scene done in 2018, across the track from the "seedy part of town".
Before.
04-27-18 001.JPG

After.
05-05-18 005.JPG

Bob - Not to worry, Fluffy was happy that there was a bowl of food in front of him. After eating and prior to the heavy snow, he made his way out to the barn to sleep until supper time when he returned.
Jim -
Sounds like a helluva storm you had yesterday and the threat of tornados, but I
guess you're kind of use to it
Right about that, especially the tornados. They are a hazard 12 months of the year. Had two close calls in the 39 years that we have lived here.

Everybody have a great day.

Morning shop folks, Francine, Mel, and others. Looks a nice winter day out .. 39 as we speak, going up to 63 and sunny!
Say, Francine, Please tell Mel that I would like a cheezy omelet with some hash browns and bacon on the side, thanks.

Willie - Dang - I thought your before pic was good - then you showed the after! Those folks who built the culvert must have had a little too much "sauce de' grape" the night before? Still, they did a nice job -- just don't see many culverts on model layouts. You certainly added lots to the detail scene.

JIM -- Usually that 3 o-clock scheduled trip for me comes around 2-2:30, then the next station stop is around 4, then I may, or not, stay up after that ... today made it to 5. Occasionally there may be a couple more thrown in there somewhere along the route.
Going out to breakfast with the misses sounds like a nice thing to do.

One of my wife's clients is an avid Titan Fan! She was on cloud 9 last evening: we were texting back and forth during the game! Who would have thought that Tenn. would beat Bal? Looking forward to the Packers game today - common Rogers, don't disappoint me!

Justin - I like all your pic - always interesting!

Ahh, Willie, I think that my perception of the culvert was off! I just noticed the tree on the left and other things were leaning, so I figured out that the camera angle must be what looked as if the culvert was askew?

TERRY - Good luck with getting everything up to snuff this morning. Quite a storm, glad you have the generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back