Slugs & Bugs (B-units)

Great looking B unit Paul! There don't seem to be any of those East of the Mississippi, the last ones I can remember were the long-gone Pennsy GP9 B units.

I guess I have what could be considered the exact opposite of the BN unit, a road slug. It has a cab with controls, lights and a horn - but no prime mover! It is semi-permanently mated to a GP40-2. These things are all over the place on CSX.

Road_Slug_2206_and_mate6468.jpg

My model is kitbashed from a Kato GP35. The only aftermarket parts are some Evergreen .010"-thick sheet styrene to cover the holes where the radiator fans and grilles were formerly located, and some Tichy grabirons. Still need to add ditch lights though...

Here's a link to a prototype photo: http://www.trainweb.org/csxphotos/photos/RDMT/2206CSX-bc.jpg

The slug model is powered while the Athearn GP40-2 is a dummy unit. Since the two are essentially a single 8-axle loco, I ran a set of wires from the 'backup' light outputs on the slug's decoder to a YelloGlo LED headlight in the GP40-2, so I can run the consist with either unit forward. [Of course I always have to key-in '2206' on the throttle.]

Old post but I so want to make one of these pairings and paint it up in Conrail Blue :) I have been following the unit assigned in Dewitt NY and have taken a bunch of good pictures but I get the feeling though that it's not a real easy task and as a noob I should start elsewhere.

A pair of RSD-4/5s A and B unit that I have assigned to stone trains painted in Suffern Hobroken Interstate Transfer lines (my custom paints old free lanced road)
638768070_w5Tzn-M.jpg

Old post but I so want to make one of these pairings and paint it up in Conrail Blue :) I have been following the unit assigned in Dewitt NY and have taken a bunch of good pictures but I get the feeling though that it's not a real easy task and as a noob I should start elsewhere.

No it's not easy, (I've built 3 of em) but it can be rewarding when you have the final product in hand.
If it doesn't get pushed back again, the October issue of RMC will have my units in living color along with directions,,,,,,,,stay tuned!
40resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A pair of RSD-4/5s A and B unit that I have assigned to stone trains painted in Suffern Hobroken Interstate Transfer lines (my custom paints old free lanced road)
638768070_w5Tzn-M.jpg

I've seen a boxcar from that road before! IIRC at Howard Zane's layout.

No it's not easy, (I've built 3 of em) but it can be rewarding when you have the final product in hand.
If it doesn't get pushed back again, the October issue of RMC will have my units in living color along with directions,,,,,,,,stay tuned!
40resized.jpg

Awesome that is good to know :) I think I may just try it, I think I can pull it off as long as I am patient. At worse I learn a bunch of lessons and start fresh with a new shell.

638768070_w5Tzn-M.jpg

LMFAO I've been waiting to see if anyone has ever done something like this. Have any more pictures?

Not that I know of. I think effluent is all carried pipelines or trucks. It would take quite a number of porta-potties to fill even a small tank car and then I don't know where they would take them.

Cajon! Welcome and thanks for sharing those photos very interesting indeed! I like the second photo and the last pic of the Aligator unit!

The alligator is a CRSD20 (4/76) used as a mother to the slugs. 1302 used to be RSD-15 846 (6/60)then 9846 (5/70).

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, time to get this thread going again. These 5 units will be true slugs. Started as SW1000 bodies, cut everything off from the sill up. The new hoods will be from Cannon & Co. parts.

100_4872.jpg

Back