Slugs & Bugs (B-units)

OK, time to get this thread going again. These 5 units will be true slugs. Started as SW1000 bodies, cut everything off from the sill up. The new hoods will be from Cannon & Co. parts.

From his first post about the units.... read above ya!!!

From his first post about the units.... read above ya!!!

Your correct. I did'nt comprehend what I read! :confused:

The tall hoods threw me off, I was thinking... room for a power plant, or two ;)

I guess we will have to wait and see what Jerome has up his sleave... or, on his workbench :D

Todd Templeton

Slugs have no power plant, just their traction motors. They get their power from another unit. Usually their bodies are filled in with concrete for weight.

Bugs or B units still have a power plant and traction motors but not a cab or usable cab.

A slug is a former locomotive that has had it's diesel engine/generator and sometimes it's cab removed. Scrap iron, or a load of concrete is put where the diesel once was. The traction motors remain on the trucks, and receive power from a permanent, or semi-permanent mother unit that is a regular locomotive.

"Bugs" are full locomotive.. without cabs...

Three more taking shape, these will be low hood versions.

100_4876.jpg

Jerome, who makes those etched doors? That might save me a little time on my GP9B. The GP38-2B will use full doors, since I'll scratch build the whole hood.

Cannon & Co. But they only make 3 sizes of small doors. I can't find anyone that makes full sized photo etched doors.

Cannon!? I'll have to email Dave about those.

RailFlyer's doors are etched, but the knuckle buster is a separate part, that would have to be drilled & installed.

Cannon part #1804, 1805, 1806. I emailed RailFlyer about full sized etched doors, I could never get a straight answer from him. Just a link to a page with no pictures or descriptions.

Again, all Railflyer doors are etched. His site is really lagging on descriptions, it annoys me allot. One of the main reasons I have not bought more from him.

Cannon's site does not even show those stock numbers, must be an old part.

Back