Issue with a DCC Equipped engine

What if you don't know the loco number?

Thats the beauty of "Programming on the Programming track" mode...if you don't know or can't remember the loco address the unit will pick it up and tell you;) then you can use that to re-address the loco or do other changes. Of course you can always try 3 first, then variations of the number on the cab, but if you don't like guessing or can't get the number...then PoP is the way to go.

Thats the beauty of "Programming on the Programming track" mode...if you don't know or can't remember the loco address the unit will pick it up and tell you;) then you can use that to re-address the loco or do other changes. Of course you can always try 3 first, then variations of the number on the cab, but if you don't like guessing or can't get the number...then PoP is the way to go.

When using the PT you don't need to know the current address of the loco nor does the command station "pick up" the current address and use it.

To over simplify things a bit there are two "classes" of commands sent by the command station. When using the PT, the commands DO NOT specify a specific address and will effect any loco on the PT. When using POM mode the commands specify a single, specific loco address.

So on the PT you can set any valid CV to any valid value and this, naturally, includes the CVs that set the loco address, both short and long.

Last edited by a moderator:
For locomotive without a visible cab number, I write the address on the bottom of the fuel tank with a black permanent marker. If it's a steam engine, it goes on the bottom of the tender

For locomotive without a visible cab number, I write the address on the bottom of the fuel tank with a black permanent marker. If it's a steam engine, it goes on the bottom of the tender

Or you could get some decals and add the number to the engine in a appropriate location.

Or you could get some decals and add the number to the engine in a appropriate location.

The engines I am referring to have numbers on them already, in the location they are meant to be. They are too small to be seen.

I guess I do not understand. Numbers on the bottom on the tender could not be seen either.
They can be seen by picking up the locomotive and tender, and turning it over. With microscopic numbers, they cannot be seen at all.

If you can read the road number on this locomotive, more power to you: image.jpg

So, I received the Tsunami decoder this morning ... looks great sitting in the little plastic bag it came in :) I had to laugh to myself too, in big black letters it says (on the label) "PLUG AND PLAY FORMAT FOR ATHEARN GENESIS STYLE HO DIESEL MODELS" If they say so I guess.

Thankfully, Genetk44 gave me the link to the installation instructions, now all I have to do is work up the courage to give this a try. BEFORE I do though, what is the very worse that could happen if I do something wrong or don't get something quite right?

Also, can I add a speaker later - that is something I forgot to buy when I ordered the decoder :(

An update on the GP38-2 ... I have heard from Athearn (after complaining to Empire Hobbies) and they are willing to exchange the engine with a properly DCC Equipped Engine. Not only is that good news for me, but very unexpected seeing as I bought the engine over 12 months ago.

psychobeagle, no the cabin number of my engine is 8160

Okay, one other question regarding the Bachmann 2-8-0. Of all the DCC Engines I have (not as many as I though apparently) this is the only one that doesn't seem to want to run properly.

Every other engine begins moving with the controller turned to #3 or #4 and once moving runs smoothly, maintaining a constant speed. The Bachmann 2-8-0 does not start to move until the controller setting is #13 or #14 and refuses to maintain a constant speed, it continually slows down and speeds up.

The momentum is turned "off" so that is not the problem. Any idea what could be causing this with the engine?

An update on the GP38-2 ... I have heard from Athearn (after complaining to Empire Hobbies) and they are willing to exchange the engine with a properly DCC Equipped Engine. Not only is that good news for me, but very unexpected seeing as I bought the engine over 12 months ago.

psychobeagle, no the cabin number of my engine is 8160

Okay, one other question regarding the Bachmann 2-8-0. Of all the DCC Engines I have (not as many as I though apparently) this is the only one that doesn't seem to want to run properly.

Every other engine begins moving with the controller turned to #3 or #4 and once moving runs smoothly, maintaining a constant speed. The Bachmann 2-8-0 does not start to move until the controller setting is #13 or #14 and refuses to maintain a constant speed, it continually slows down and speeds up.

The momentum is turned "off" so that is not the problem. Any idea what could be causing this with the engine?

A guess would be that back emf is turned off, or there is a bind in the valve gear, or both.

If both are factory DCC my guess is that the decoders are buggy. It should be covered by warranty, however if you got it on eBay or second hand then usually the warranty is void. then you have to buy a new decoder. I hear tcs makes a good steam decoder as well as diesel. If you want to go that route let me know I have a TCS Dealer membership and can get you a deal. Best of luck! -Darren

first make sure the wheels and copper pick-ups behind them are clean and that the pickups are making good contact...don't forget the wheels and pick-ups on the tender too. Double check that the wire-harness between tender and loco is not interfering or lifting the front of the tender intermittently......the tender wheels pick up current from the track. The start-up at #13-#14 also be due to the start cv voltage setting. In which case you need to get onto google bout starting voltages for that loco. Also try changing CV 12 to 0 and CV 29 to 34 so it would run digitally only.

Thanks Genetk44 ... CV 12 is now at 0 and CV 29 is now at 34, neither changes have made a difference though. I am still having to wind the controller upto at least 13 before it starts to move. Once it gets going, it then seems to take off and will run at a "fairly constant speed" if I leave the controller set to 18+. The problem with that is the engine is "flying". It seems to go from 0 to 100 in 0 seconds flat, if you know what I mean.

Another thing that "may help" - I am now hearing a "ticking" sound that seems to get louder the longer I run the engine?

Back