Issue with a DCC Equipped engine

Do you have an ohm meter? Unsolder one, or both, of the speaker connections, and make sure the speaker shows 8 ohms resistance.

No I don't, but will by tomorrow afternoon.

The only other thing besides doing what Terry said is to double chevk your installation against the following:
http://youtu.be/GlhGcChbOjc

http://youtu.be/uPWV2-MOvP8

http://www.soundtraxx.com/documents/appnotes/athearn_gp382.pdf

Gene,

That is the document that I used for the install so I am certain that everything is connected where it is supposed to be connected.

Tony...just so you don't feel bad...last October Atlas announced a new run of Alco S-2 switchers in their Gold Series with ESU sound decoder equipped locos...in the CN black and gold livery. I pre-ordered two then and there for a total of US$ 541.00 which probably works out to about $600 Cdn for me. Anyways they finally arrived today...put the first one on the layout, turn on power...bell starts ringing, headlight is on, prime-mover sounds...won't go forward or back, can't turn off bell or lights...other function buttons do nothing, can't re-address loco, tried recovery program to no avail...reset CV8 to 8...nothing...at the moment I have a very expensive loco making noises I can't control and that won't move sitting on the track....looks like I'll have to ship it back to Atlas...not amused. The other one of the pair worked flawlessly from the get go.

Gene,

Damn, that would be more than annoying. Seems like between us we have one good loco :( Only thing I an think of, based on what happened to me only, is the motor wires to the decoder may not be connected?

That probably isn't worth the words used seeing as how going into the engine will probably void any warranty. Sending it back would be the best option I would think. Not that that helps in the short term, especially after having to wait for them to turn up.

One quick question please - the sound on these decoders, are they built into the decoder and all that is needed is a speaker OR does the sound have to come from the FX terminals n the decoder? Knowing this might help point me in "a" direction for a solution to my "no sound" problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting on a phone call from Atlas customer service dept. i'm hoping they can talk me through a fix...otherwise I guess it will have to go back to Atlas.
As far as your question...I have no clue but then I'm not even sure what you are referring to when you say FXterminals...
By the way...did you get an Ohm meter?

Oh crap, nope - it slipped my mind completely! Have been dealing with contractors on and off throughout today and didn't give the ohm meter a thought. Have to go up town later so will get on then. Thanks for reminding me!

Hope that Atlas can give you the fix over the phone, would really save you some time and money of they could.

As for the FX terminals, this is what the Tsunami decoder has:

Opposite to where the Speaker and Motor Control wires connect to the decoder, there are 4 other terminals labelled FX5 1.5 volt (for 2 terminals) and FX6 1.5 volt (for 2 terminals) The decoder numbers for those terminals are 13,14,15 and 16.

Thanks..I'll let you know how it turns out.
Based on the diagram it looks like the FX terminals are for other lighting effects, like ditch lights or rotating beacon lights,mars lights.
I did notice that the diagram shows + and - terminals for the speaker.......did you try reversing the wires from the speaker to the terminals?

Thanks..I'll let you know how it turns out.
Based on the diagram it looks like the FX terminals are for other lighting effects, like ditch lights or rotating beacon lights,mars lights.
I did notice that the diagram shows + and - terminals for the speaker.......did you try reversing the wires from the speaker to the terminals?

No I haven't. The speaker wires that were on the MRC were color coded Red and Black. I made the assumption that the Red was + and the black was - as per normal color coding. That being said, changing them can't hurt anything and shouldn't make anything worse.

Tony...Don from Atlas called about my bum S-2...seems I'll have to send it back to have it repaired or replaced:( But at least Atlas pays the shipping.:)

Gene,

That is good news for you then and yep, them paying the shipping is a plus.

I got my GP38-2 sent back today ($50 with insurance and expedited shipping). Athearn is suppose to get it this coming Wednesday so I am hoping they don't mess around and send the replacement one out the same day. If that happens, I should have my new Penn Central engine maybe early the week after.

Only two engines I have to sort out now is the Bachmann steamer and my GP35 (maybe it is a GP15 - it is hard to read). I have a decoder for it but am having trouble getting the shell off, it doesn't come off the same as the GP38 from the looks. Still working on it, from time to time, but am hopeful of having it up and running DCC by the end of the weekend.

Well, I just can't seem to win with these decoder installs. My GP38 has lights but no sound and, now, my little GP15 (not 35 as thought) has sound but no lights. Maybe if I did a third engine it would all come together :confused:

I think a lot of it is just practise Tony....and dogged determination to try to find out what the cause is...its a learning curve....about lights...I think some locos need to have their bulbs changed or resistors added when they are switched to DCC...I'm sure somebody more knowledgable can tell you.

Genetk44,

Well, I am getting practice and think I am getting better at this decoder stuff - I know my soldering skills are improving. You could be right about the lights, I think I read some where that some lights do need to be changed but I don't think that will be a job for this little black duck :)

Back