Issue with a DCC Equipped engine

As Louis said, thanks Genetk44 for the links - I haven't tried changing anything yet but will and see if tat helps at all. One thing I want to do though is get my wiring all hooked up properly first and see if that makes any difference. I don't think it will because the problem is happening all around the layout but we will see.

Okay, think I have a serious issue with this engine.

I read the info in the links provided and made a couple of changes as per the CV listings with Min and Max figures; I changed CV 2 = 30 and CV 4 (acceleration momentum) = 50 and now the thing just sits there whining as if it is a DC engine. Don't think I am going to mess with this any longer and will buy a Tsunami (or similar) decoder for it. If it weren't for the fact that I really like this loco, I probably wouldn't even bother doing that.

turned his Powercab into a Powerpro by adding the booster,
An interesting tidbit I will have to add to my trouble shooting tool box. It may explain why I've had trouble in the past helping people with their PowerCab system. I only have a PowerPRO, and assumed the only difference was the way the PowerCab switches the output main to programming and back

Last edited by a moderator:
An interesting tidbit which may explain why I've had trouble in the past helping people with their PowerCab system. I only have a PowerPRO, and assumed the only difference was the way the PowerCab switches the output main to programming and back

I had to envision it as though the power cab has a 'dumb' command station in it and the ones in the 'box' were 'smarter' thus the 'more power' the NCE people are so proud to stress in their instructions on upgrading the system.

I'm only guessing here but I think the NCE engineers were thinking along the following lines when designing the Power Pro and Powercab systems.
PowerCab=beginner system=small layout=few locos=easy to remove excess 1 or 2 locos from layout so allow choice of POM or PoP on layout.
Power Pro= bigger layout(empire/club)=many locos on layout= easier to have dedicated isolated section of programming track than removing all locos from layout/

so like me...I have a small 12x1 switching layout that I run by myself...it never has more than 3 locos on it so if I want to PoP I just lift 2 locos of the layout...easy peasy.

now think about a basement empire or a club layout...many locos, maybe various other people running....should everybody stop and lift all their locos just so I can PoP....wouldn't make me very popular with the other folks.....

Anyways I'm guessing.

I'm only guessing here but I think the NCE engineers were thinking along the following lines when designing the Power Pro and Powercab systems.
PowerCab=beginner system=small layout=few locos=easy to remove excess 1 or 2 locos from layout so allow choice of POM or PoP on layout.
Power Pro= bigger layout(empire/club)=many locos on layout= easier to have dedicated isolated section of programming track than removing all locos from layout/

so like me...I have a small 12x1 switching layout that I run by myself...it never has more than 3 locos on it so if I want to PoP I just lift 2 locos of the layout...easy peasy.

now think about a basement empire or a club layout...many locos, maybe various other people running....should everybody stop and lift all their locos just so I can PoP....wouldn't make me very popular with the other folks.....

Anyways I'm guessing.

I believe you are correct, Sir. My personal misfortune was to be able to think too large, too fast in terms of 'end product'! I have too much room! Being forced to start and end small would have been much easier to understand as the complete novice that I am! Compared to what most are forced to fit into, my space is 'limitless'! I now fully comprehend the term "embarrassment of riches" and the term 'due diligence' has more importance than ever! Even though I have the power cab, with the size of my first section, I skipped right past that level and did not realize that I did not need to get it in the first place! Oh well, another throttle can not hurt.

Morning Guys and Girls if we still have some,

This morning I received a few new things from M.B.Klein,

2 X MRC speakers with baffles
1 X Tsunami Sound Traxx for my GP35, and ...
1 X Genesis (DC) CSX GP38-2

Img_0025_zpsfgxdvcxv.jpg

My task now is to install the decoders and speakers that I have into both the new GP38-2 and my GP35.

In case your wondering why I bought the DC version of the CSX it was because I had already bought the Tsunami decoder for my other GP38-2 before Athearn offered to replace it for a fully equipped DCC GP38-2. I also like that particular engine so why not have another :)

Good and bad news ... I actually installed the decoder and the engine WORKS! Well, it goes back and forth and I have the rear light working; however, I have no sound or front light for some reason.

I have to admit the hardest part of the install was those bloody little black "clip things". They were a pain to get off and just as big a pain to get back on. Getting the shell back on wasn't all that easy either, I may have a wire or two "pinched some where" so will have to look at that.

None the less, the actual installation wasn't as hard as I though it was going to be and am feeling a little more confident now about doing others.

So, what do you guys think the sound problem is? I bought an MRC Speaker with baffle already assembled instead of the Tsunami speaker. The MRC is the same size as the recommended Tsunami speaker though and seems to be rated the same as well. Any thoughts?

Tony...hard to tell what the problem is...assuming you turned the sound on and remembering the decoder came with an address of #3 I would start by taking a very close, really close look at all the connections on the loco,decoder and speaker....it could be something as simple as a bad connection....next double-check there are no obvious signs of pinched or broken wires. I always test new decoder speaker installs before putting the body back on

Ahh turn the sound on??? It doesn't come on automatically then? Man, if that is the problem I am going to look like and feel like an idiot AGAIN! lol

Okay, just pull the body off and found a couple of wires that had come off BUT also found the + wire terminal for the motor had "broken in half"! This is unbelievable. Just when you think you are getting ahead something craps out!

What pisses me off even more is you pay almost $100 for these decoders and this happens, if these things break that easily and that is the best Tsunami can do then I am going to buy European from now on, for everything where possible.

I also reinforce what I said earlier - these plastic clips are a pain in the arse and think I am going to discard them and just solder everything in place.

I'm not a big fan of those clips...i usually solder. Depending on the decoder the sound might come on automatically when you put it on the track or hit the speed control...sometimes you have to hit the function button that mutes the sound....usually 8 or 7

Genetk44,

Thanks mate but it doesn't matter. Now the terminal for the + for the motor is broken - it doesn't run anyway. Another engine sitting on the shelf doing nothing and more wasted frickin' money on what seems to be crap..

Tony...when you say the terminal for + side of the motor...do you mean on the motor itself or on the decoder? And is there not enough of it left to solder too?

Genetk44

Sorry Gene, I had a reply but didn't hit post. Just a bad day...

Okay, so here is the current situation. I pulled the decoder back out, got rid of those bloody clips and soldered all of the wires to the decoder itself and yes, there was just enough of the terminal left on the decoder for me to solder to. So, as it stands at the moment, the engine runs, I have all the lights but still no sound :(

I have looked at the CV's for the sound and programmed the volumes for each. I heard the decoder accepting the information but still no sound. I have pushed the sound ON/OFF key (#8) a number of times and that does not seem to have had an effect.

I double checked the wiring BEFORE I soldered anything and those wires for the speaker are connected to the correct terminals on the decoder.

Only thing I can now think of is the speaker itself is shot???

Horseman,

We must have posted at the same time. Okay, what broke/snapped was the + Motor Wire Terminal on the decoder. About 3/4 of the terminal remained in the damn plastic clip but there was enough left on the decoder itself for me to solder the wire on. As such, the engine now runs.

As for the sound, see above. I think I have done everything and nothing seems to work so I am now at a loss as to why there is no sound at all.

I am using an MRC Speaker complete with Baffle. This speaker comes wired and with a small plug. I cut that plug off and connected the wires to the decoder as per the Tsunami Instructions. Because it is not a Tsunami Speaker, could there be a compatibility problem? I can't see how there could be as it is just a speaker right?

I have a second speaker for the GP35. Is there an easy way to check to see if the speaker works before putting it into the loco?

ok...first thing i would try is to push the buttons on your throttle labelled bell and horn...next try F...if no luck try F9 wait a 15 seconds if nothing try F7. if still nothing then try a decoder reset...that will also reset the address to 3 don't forget.

Back