Issue with a DCC Equipped engine

Tony....put the loco onto the track and go into the " Programming on the Programming Track" window.. hit 2=CV...then when it prompts you to enter a CV number ...enter the number 2 and let it read what the 2CV is set at, write that number down and let us know what it is.

If both are factory DCC my guess is that the decoders are buggy. It should be covered by warranty, however if you got it on eBay or second hand then usually the warranty is void. then you have to buy a new decoder. I hear tcs makes a good steam decoder as well as diesel. If you want to go that route let me know I have a TCS Dealer membership and can get you a deal. Best of luck! -Darren

Darren,

Missed your post and thank you for the offer, I might just take you up on it. Everything that has been suggested looks okay as far as I can see so it does look as though it is the decoder.

If you want to drop me a PM then please do and we can sort something out for the decoder. Appreciate it.

Genetk44,

Just saw yur post mate, sorry. Okay have done what you suggest and this is what it came up with:

CV NUM 002 = 010

Just for info guys, I found another Bachmann DCC car(one of those trucks that goes on the rails thing) and it does the same thing, exactly. Need wind the controller up to almost 8 with that before it starts then it acts the same as the 2-8-0. Could this just be an issue with the decoders that Bachmann uses do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
... Could this just be an issue with the decoders that Bachmann uses do you think?

Hey Tony,

I have 5 Bachmann DCC locomotives. All with the original decoders. I have run them with analog DC power and they have all run great. One locomotive, my Chessie/B&O GP38-2 ran flawlessly for more then 100 hours of and on last Christmas with a DC power pack.

All Bachmann DCC equipped locomotives that I know of require about 6-7 volts to begin moving when run with DC power. My Athearn Genesis is the same. This is due to the requirements of the solid state electronic circuitry of the decoder. That will be a noticeably higher setting on your transformer compared to a DC locomotive's start voltage. That part of the problem is normal and not actually a problem.

As I understand Bachmann's decoders the CV's should not come into play other then to enable dual mode. Once it is running with DC power the CVs are not in use, the DC power simply passes through, but I am not certain because I have never seen a schematic of the decoders.

For the second part of the problem I would look for a mechanical problem. It could even be as simple as cleaning and lubrication. As Terry suggested something could be binding.

When ever I am working on a locomotive I begin with a thorough cleaning and lubrication. In my experience that usually solves the problem. If not I have at least eliminated a cheap and simple possible cause.

If you still have a problem watch it closely when it runs. Use a magnifying glass if you need to.

When ever you are working on anything eliminate all the simple possible causes before buying parts. It may save you from buying parts you did not need. Nothing is more frustrating then replacing parts only to find you have the same problem.

When I was learning to be a mechanic the older guys would tell me "be a mechanic, not just a parts changer"

Thanks Louis BUT, I am running full DCC and it is on that which I am having these issues with the Bachmann engine/s. This engine is brand new, out of the box, as is the little truck, so they are "spotlessly clean". Now you mention DC, when I did run it on DC (once) it ran fine with little effort at all and certainly didn't have that ticking sound.

I am by no means a mechanic when it comes to these things so wouldn't be pulling anything apart or trying to replace anything myself.

I know both of this items have been sitting around for almost 12 months untouched BUT in the boxes they came in, complete with the plastic insert etc. I don't know if that might cause something to bind, through not being used. Is that possibility and i so, would a good lubricating possibly fix that binding, if that is what it is?

Tony, the decoders Bachmann uses in their "onboard" stuff is extremely basic. The problem may well be the decoders themselves.
I don't think you have any other engines with the standard 8 pin decoder, but if you do, you could unplug one, and plug it into the plug in the tender of the Bachmann engine, and see if the behavior changes. If it gets better, it's the decoder. If it doesn't, it's in the loco.
If you don't have a different decoder-equipped engine as a temporary donor, or if you don't want to perform minor surgery, you could send the thing to one of us, and we could check it for you.

As for the ticking, I have a Bachmann Berkshire that makes a ticking when running. It is in the valve gear.

Terry,

They seem to be very basic, not even any sound with them.

I'd be more than happy to have one of you guys look at it and, as always, would appreciate it a great deal. I honestly wish there was someone on here who was close by that I could bring it to and watch and learn how to do this stuff. Having to rely on others isn't something that I really like to do but, as in this case, is a necessary evil for me.

Tony...CV2 is the CV for the starting voltage...the 10 is what that CV is set to...and no its not 10 volts...its just a numeric indicator. Write the 10 on a paper or don't forget it. Anyways, now with the loco on the track go into Programming on the Main then hit 2=CV, reprogram CV 2 to say 20, hit enter, return to main screen and try moving the loco...see if that changes anything. If not go back in a try another value maybe 30 or 35, etc...keep trying until you see a change....if no change by 65-70 try a number below 10.

On a Lenz decoder, 10 is the maximum starting voltage. IIRC, Lenz makes the decoders for Bachmann.

Tony...changeing the CV2 value either up or down may help or it may not...but its a starting point. I', having a similar problem with a Bachmann factory DCC equipped 44-tonner... changing the start CV2 value hasn't helped me...but it may sort your problem and if it doesn't then you move to the next step to find the problem.

Genetk44,

It really is starting to sound like the decoder then. Not saying that it is "bad" just the type perhaps. Just seems strange how my Bachmann all behave the same way, and you are also experiencing problems with a Bachmann/Lenz decoder.

I think what I might do is get a Tsunami Soundtraxx for it while I am on the decoder kick. Even if it is not the decoder (per se) the engine doesn't have sound as it is and that is something that I like to have.

That being said, I'll give what you suggest a go and see if it makes any difference and will let you know - might give you a call later on this evening if that's okay too.

No problem Tony..I'll be out for dinner but should be home by nine. It might be the decoder, or some loose/bad wiring or something interfering with the electrical pick-up from the tracks.
I found some threads on the Bachmann site about people having similar problems with their 2-8-0 s also....

Forgive me Tony, I assumed you were running DC.

A drop of oil would not hurt anything, you never know how long they have been in the box before you bought them.

Contacting Bachmann would be my next step.

I can't comment further because my practical experience with DCC is limited. Even though I have 2 different command systems I have less then 20 hours running time total. In that limited time I have not experienced any problems with any of my DCC locomotives running in DCC.

I wish you well and once again forgive my confusion.

Have not been in the 'train world' long but it seems as though Tsunami is the go-to when getting a 'new' chip. Time after time, "I put in a Tsunami and all is well" is the tag-line of the story. Why is this so?

Have not been in the 'train world' long but it seems as though Tsunami is the go-to when getting a 'new' chip. Time after time, "I put in a Tsunami and all is well" is the tag-line of the story. Why is this so?
They have great sound, and good motor control, out of the box. With a little tweaking they have even better sound, and really good motor control.
The older ESU decoders had meh sounds, but excellent motor control. The new ESU stuff has the same, if not better, motor control, and terrific sounds.

Back