Coffee Shop XXXV-12/3/2012

Good Morning

Weatherguessers have today being a mix of sun/cloud...high of 37F expected...

Well, typical day here...got to get some stuff from Wally World and a few groceries as well...tomorrow is Audrey's doctor appointment...so that takes Friday out of the picture...weekend looks a little wet....

Good Morning:

Winter has returned. This morning it was 25F, vs 50F yesterday morning.

Yesterday, I did some work to a Walthers (NYC) 64 seat PS coach, that didn't like my 28" radius curves:mad:. I filed a little ridge at the bottom of the diaphragms, replaced the couplers with Kadee #146, and took the Dremel to the trucks, eliminating catching and binding spots.

Finished by lubing the axles and wow, what a difference.

Today it gets its actual PRR road number, and I get to rework another.

Everyone have a great day.

Good Morning:

Winter has returned. This morning it was 25F, vs 50F yesterday morning.

Yesterday, I did some work to a Walthers (NYC) 64 seat PS coach, that didn't like my 28" radius curves:mad:. I filed a little ridge at the bottom of the diaphragms, replaced the couplers with Kadee #146, and took the Dremel to the trucks, eliminating catching and binding spots.

Finished by lubing the axles and wow, what a difference.

Today it gets its actual PRR road number, and I get to rework another.

Everyone have a great day.
Hello WJLI26. You sound like you know what your doing. Keep up the good work...........and have a great day yourself! :)

Mike

Hello WJLI26. You sound like you know what your doing. Keep up the good work...........and have a great day yourself! :)

Mike

Know what I'm doing? huh? me?:D

I read a few articles and blogs concerning improving WKW's passenger cars, and I tired of their cars not taking 28" curves - supposed to be minimum 24" - so I figured I'd try on one, worst I could do was wreck it, and it worked.

The #146 Kadees have whisker springs and drop right in to replace the WKW McClones they only extend a little, so it doesn't create a unsightly wide gap between cars.

Test ran the car today, coupled to a (Intermountain) Centrailia Car Shops PRR P85BR with no problems.

Feels good to solve a problem.:D:D:D.

nice video, jeffery & is there anything on ur layout that isnt surgically repaired :p
you should open up your own loco Boutique :eek:

i can raise your frankenloco from the dead, free estimates ;):D:D

Got my father to the dentist this morning then back home. He has to go back next week to get more teeth pulled. His face looks like he got clipped by a high speed train. Now that I'm back home I'm gonna see if I can get some sleep. Didn't get ANY last night.

you should open up your own loco Boutique :eek:

i can raise your frankenloco from the dead, free estimates ;):D:D

This one can bring tears to your eyes.

P1010152.jpg

Got my father to the dentist this morning then back home. He has to go back next week to get more teeth pulled. His face looks like he got clipped by a high speed train. Now that I'm back home I'm gonna see if I can get some sleep. Didn't get ANY last night.

This one can bring tears to your eyes.

P1010152.jpg
wow that old girl has make up on her face like a ski report 2" of base & serious powder :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon,
The morning started out fairly early but I got involved looking up about N scale Roundhouse cars, as Mike mentioned he had seen some for sale and I didn't remember MDC/
Roundhouse actually making any but I guess that when Athearn bought MDC they brought them out.

Anyway it was foggy earlier with a temp of 42* but that now has lifted and the temp is 48* and fairly overcast.

I feel like I should get some more sleep too. Yesterday I made to trips getting up on the roof to do some repair work to hopefullly resolve some leaks that fortunately were in locations outside the actual house, over the front porch and over the enclosed back porch.

Maybe I can get to doing something on my layout a little later.

We went grocery shopping this morning, then after lunch I retreated to the basement to run some trains. My BLI NW2 and an Athearn covered hopper kept separating on a grade where nothing else separates. Got the Kadee gauge out, neither was really off, but I replaced the McClones on the covered hopper with real Kadees, then opened up the saggy coupler's coupler box on the cab end of the NW2. It was full of oil, and the spring was glued to the bottom of the coupler box. I ended up cleaning it up and replacing the coupler and spring. Problem is hopefully solved.

The way my luck is running, I need to order more Kadees.

I wanted an F7 that was on it's way to the scraper. The result looks pretty scary!:eek:
It looks pretty scary and scrappy......but in a good way! :D

A while back I bought some cheap, marginally running....and not-so running at all atlas N scale engines to have some junker appeal.

Mike

Good Morning...

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Friday, December 7, 2012

Morning_Coffee.png

ariz.jpg

Lest We Forget! December 7, 1941

:cool:

Tipton.gif

TIPTON[/QUOTE]

Good morning. It's 52° with 100% humidity and dense fog. It'll be partly cloudy with a high of 72°.
pcloudy-1.jpg

Fog is so thick you can almost cut it with a knife. My thinking seems to be a bit foggy too. Having trouble concentrating on anything. It's certainly not from lack of sleep. I went to sleep yesterday about 2pm and woke up about 5am. Well hopefully I'll be able to think clearly soon. A look ahead at the weather shows rain for the weekend. No plans for today.

Image1-1.jpg

Good Morning

Kinda cold and dull again...

Got some runnin' 'roun' doin' stuff to do, more family members showing up for Xmas...that makes 10 around the table now... Wondering what else will fall out of the woodwork now...:eek::confused::rolleyes:

Gotta start some time I guess...have a good day!!

Good Morning!

It's 31F and overcast at Lakehurst Naval Air Station. It's supposed to rain for the next several days.

Today's Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. It's interesting how places are always associated with tragedy. Pearl Harbor with the Japanese attack, Lakehurst, with the"Hindenburg".

Last night my heat wouldn't come on until the temperature dropped 9 degrees lower than the setting. Time to call in the service guy.

I'm assembling 20+ year old Athearn BB 34' hopper kits. Better late than never.

Have a great Friday.

How many have arcs or sparks chasing their locos wheels? I used to. It happened no matter how much I cleaned the track. In 2006 I GLEAMed all my track and no more arcs chasing the wheels. The only time I've seen them since was after I tore up half the layout and put new track down in the configuration I have now. I GLEAMed the new track and you guessed it, no more sparks. I haven't had to clean it since either except for a light wipe with a dry cloth if the trains hadn't been run in quite a while.

Something my father said he was going to do today was get a reel mower working again. How many of you remember those things! Bet you remember the blisters too! It's been sitting out in the machine shop for years and still looks fairly new. It has yet to cut a single blade of grass! My mother bought it many years ago because it had the word 'Collectible' attached to it. He's not cleaning it up to use or sell. He's going to give it away to a couple he knows as a wedding present. As good a way to get rid of something as any I guess.

Something my father said he was going to do today was get a reel mower working again. How many of you remember those things! Bet you remember the blisters too! It's been sitting out in the machine shop for years and still looks fairly new. It has yet to cut a single blade of grass! My mother bought it many years ago because it had the word 'Collectible' attached to it. He's not cleaning it up to use or sell. He's going to give it away to a couple he knows as a wedding present. As good a way to get rid of something as any I guess.

It's the thought behind the present that counts Jeff. But I think the thought that the presentee's will be thinking is, "If you're gonna give us a mower, give us a 'real' mower not a 'reel' one."

It's the thought behind the present that counts Jeff. But I think the thought that the presentee's will be thinking is, "If you're gonna give us a mower, give us a 'real' mower not a 'reel' one."
My thinking exactly. I can't use any kind of push mower anymore, even self-propelled but if I could I'd want one that does as much of the work as possible. Not one that's going to cut me down by two waist sizes.

Back