$676 Walthers car

Status
Not open for further replies.
That can't have been a real auction...

If it is, those fools have to be the dumbest creatures on the face of the earth to be legitimizing the ugly blight of grafitti.

The guy who sold that car is considered a living legend among weathering experts. Just owning a car done by him is considered a status symbol among the folks who can afford to buy his stuff.

Without going to the link I'm going to guess this is Mellow Mike?
He does some nice stuff, but $676.............

Two thoughts here.

First; something is worth whatever anyone is willing to pay for it The buying price has nothing to do with the real value, only to have won the prize and be able to say: "I own it." :rolleyes:

Second; P,T, Barnum said it best when he said: " There's a sucker born every minute." ;)

Mellow Mike used to do a lot of posting here a couple years back. Someone would post one of his auctions and the adorers would bow down and worship him. As for discussion he accepted all praise but offered no help or advice and evaded questions from other members, contributing nothing to the forum but his august self. So being the grouch I definitely am (maybe an old coot) it came to an end. Links and discussions as this one are OK with me, but I will lock or delete any thread dedicated to the admiration society of Mellow Mike.
Actually I don't want to have the honor of being a referee again. For what it's worth I agree that the values of the auctions are way out of line, IMHO no one could be that brain dead to bid that high so to my way of reckoning that leaves only a scam.

Cheers
Willis

for 676$, you could buy a pretty good brass engine or 22 freight car, and keep the weathering fun for yourself.

Too bad the wheels are P2k, he put on long shanked couplers that make it look unrealistic, and that the decal scheme is unprototypical (as he claims)

Its rare that you see a cheap plastic car go for the price of a brass loco. lol
Well No, at least while they were being posted here it seemed to be the norm, each week another would be on ebay with ridiculous high bids. I often wondered if anyone actually went through with paying for the auction. It's hard to believe anyone could be so clueless as to bid three figures for a plastic box car no matter how much paint was sprayed on it along with some decals.

Cheers
Willis

I checked out this guy work on the internet, its good but it certainly not worth 600$, at our club there is a guy doing at least as good as him, but only ask 10$ + cost of materials to do some weathering. Why ? Cause he love painting but do not have enought money to buy 5 car each week

Well No, at least while they were being posted here it seemed to be the norm, each week another would be on ebay with ridiculous high bids. I often wondered if anyone actually went through with paying for the auction. It's hard to believe anyone could be so clueless as to bid three figures for a plastic box car no matter how much paint was sprayed on it along with some decals.

Cheers
Willis

There's always the possibility of shell auctions with faux purchases to pump up prices for his work. Glorifying the ugliness of grafitti by making it seem valuable is despicable in my opinion.

But... art is merely malleable perception you know. ;)

i just thought it was funny that it took 1 guy to start bidding then it turned into a bidding war between 2 other people it seemed. Then the same guy who started bidding won. Seems fishy, but whatever.

Perhaps a bit dodgy, but hey, if someone'll pay that... a fool and his money don't have a long relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back