For Seann:
For anyone who loves modeling steam, bless you, but you have to keep in mind a thing or two:
Our models match the prototype in a couple of key areas. They are more expensive to run. They are higher in cost. They are more difficult to maintain. The same key points that killed the prototype!
As for price point, well, I see your point and even agree somewhat, but steam models, particularly brass ones, almost always require some tinkering to get them to run on your layout. Brass in particular has to be tuned to the layout it is going to run on, which means you can get a model running on your layout, take it to a friends, and it will pick turnouts, short out on curves, and otherwise make you look bad.

This is due to their being hand built, so even two of the same model are not exactly alike. It gets even more complicated if you're trying to run them around 22" or 18" radius curves.
There are more than a few on this forum who are trying to run 4-8-4's, six axle diesels, and 85 ft passenger cars around 18" radius curves with varying degrees of success. Most all of their frustartions come from a refusal to face reality and stick with 2-6-0's, 0-6-0's or 2-8-0's four axle diesels, and 60 foot passenger cars. I'm not dissing them, we all enjoy the hobby in our own way, but physics doesn't scale, and even if you can get the equipment around the curves it doesn't look great doing it.
If you do get into brass be very concious of your minimum radius. CJ once said that a brass model is the most expensive thing you will ever buy that's only 80% finished, and he wasn't thinking about paint

Keep that in mind, and beware of being bitten by the brass bug. There is no antidote for the venom



(the voice of experience

)
Espeefan:
Truth be told I am deathly afraid of brass. My problem with it lies in myself. If it doesn't run top notch I will put it away and never look at it again. (after tinkering with it of course) Larger that life loco's are my passion, and I have more than a few loco's that will never see the light of day for various reasons. Don't get me wrong. I am not one to pull it out of the box and put it on the track and expect the clouds to part and a ray of light to shine on it as it goes around, but I will forever believe that my time is just as valuable as my money. [For I am King and my minions (trains) will do my bidding

]
Brass is the next logical step in my homemade empire, after extensive research and procrastinating. As far as radius, I think the smallest is something like 32" at the club. The venom is already creeping into my veins. I just fell my antidote will be the success or failure of my first attempt.
On another note:
MTH IS sending me two new drive shafts in the mail. I should have them next week. It took some complaining and discussion but they finally fulfilled my request. Thank You MTH