MTH big boy is broke already!

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I have two MTH locos, an SD70ACe and a Challenger. I bought the Challenger through eBay, stated new, but not from a dealer. I did have an issue with it and sent it back to MTH. While it took a little long to return (one-day turn-around would have been too long), they fixed it for free. Since then I've had no problems with either of my MTH locos.

I've had to send BLI locos back and had a really good experience with them as well.

Walthers has been the biggest mixed bag of experience for me.
 
Of course another probability was that there wasn't enough parts produced. But whatever the case,it does seem rather interesting that they would have so much trouble with this particular locomotive. I wonder if before the folks at MTH brought out the Big Boy locomotive,did they do enough testing to work out the bugs before shipping? It would seem they did not. But I could be wrong. William.

The real kick in the pants is that the MTH big boy is the molds from the PCM/BLI big boys. Of which I have 3. The PCM's are truely remarkable units. They should have never messed with the design and they probably wouldn't have had these problems.
 


The real kick in the pants is that the MTH big boy is the molds from the PCM/BLI big boys. Of which I have 3. The PCM's are truely remarkable units. They should have never messed with the design and they probably wouldn't have had these problems.

...Maybe they didn't want to get sued for copyright infringement...:rolleyes:
 
LOL! Even so, that department let their boss down when the last suit they launched against Broadway Limited Imports was denied by the judge.
 
I thought waiting six weeks on a warranty repair from Bachmann was bad; they wound up replacing the bought used Spectrum PRR K4s with a new DCC L&NE Consolidation...
 


I sure wish BLI would have done that. I have Bowser engines that have lasted almost 18 years now and still run great and pull LOTS. (2 PRR I1's, 1 PRR K4, 1 Challenger, 6 Old Lady's, 2 USRA 2-10-2's, 2 USRA 4-8-2's) I did take the time to superdetail them and add DCC.
 
This might interest some of you

From the September 2013 Issue of Classic Trains Magazine.
A quote from Mike Wolf founder and owner of MTH "Chinese factory workers are an exceptional work force, willing and able to perform tedious and repetitive tasks while maintain high standards of quality"
He was talking about why he thought significant production of model trains would not be moving back to the USA.

What I got from reading between the lines was this; he was going to continue to get rich by using under paid and under skilled workers.

I am paraphrasing now, but he went on to complain that he can't move to another "developing nation" (to get even richer) because of China's complex supplier infrastructure. He called the notion that production of other manufactures moving to the USA "Hype"

In my opinion he is a modern day robber baron!
 
This might interest some of you

From the September 2013 Issue of Classic Trains Magazine.
A quote from Mike Wolf founder and owner of MTH "Chinese factory workers are an exceptional work force, willing and able to perform tedious and repetitive tasks while maintain high standards of quality"
He was talking about why he thought significant production of model trains would not be moving back to the USA.

What I got from reading between the lines was this; he was going to continue to get rich by using under paid and under skilled workers.

I am paraphrasing now, but he went on to complain that he can't move to another "developing nation" (to get even richer) because of China's complex supplier infrastructure. He called the notion that production of other manufactures moving to the USA "Hype"

In my opinion he is a modern day robber baron!

yea hes such an ass im done with MTH its sucks cause they are nice locos
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top