Let's get LOADED!!!.....

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Don't be sorry... I love seeing it! :)

Coincidently... one of the 25 ton locos just sold on ebay for $30. Grandt Line stuff pops up quite regularly.
 
Jeez... what kind of idiot fells a tree right across a railroad right of way when it could derail or hit a train?:rolleyes:

While not used directly at logging sites, electric locomotives were actually used to transport timber.

Red River Lumber Company July 3 1942...

RRLC204.JPG
I wonder how many people they lost sitting on top of the cars with the wires so close. Not several on top of the rear car.
 


It's hard to tell because the pantographs are down but the wire was really high, about 17 feet IIRC. It was mounted high to clear tall loads like donkey engines that hat to be transported to new timber stands. The picture was taken in 1942, when the wires were being taken down. The car behind the caboose was built by the railroad on a flatcar frame to aid in taking down the wires.
 
Isn't the rear pantograph up? It looks like it's on the wire. Were the two engines ganged up to operate off of one connection?

(edit) Here's a quote from the Red River Electric Logging Line article:

"Although each locomotive is a complete unit in every detail, the cabs are arranged for multiple unit operation, by means of sockets and jumpers for connecting together their control circuits as well as to provide a power bus between the two units. Hence the two cabs may be coupled and operated as a single locomotive with but one engineer. If desired either locomotive may be operated separately, in which case half tonnage may be hauled. Operation of the slider trolleys of both units may be controlled from either cab."
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think the second locomtive has a temporary slider mounted on the original pantograph mount. Check out the difference between it and the pantograph on the first engine. I think the photo was taken at the Chester yard and the slider was used as the wires were dismantled behind it. Hard to tell without a better picture though. Most electric locomotives could run MU'ed with only one locomotive receiving power from the overhead and then feeding the power to the trailing locomotive with a power bus. Itg saved wear and tear on two pantographs and made it less likely that two up at the same time would run into a wire kink and tear down the wire.
 


Is that from the one you got off me?

I don't believe so unless you're "LarryW7786" who sells them brand new in the box on ebay. Got two from him... one for $7.99 and one for $6.79.

!BcnBE3gCGk~$(KGrHqUH-DEErQMhy7+dBK1NYcpM8g~~_35.jpg


They're really cool for parts. I think I'll make little bobber logging cabooses out of the cabs. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe so unless you're "LarryW7786" who sells them brand new in the box on ebay. Got two from him... one for $7.99 and one for $6.79.

!BcnBE3gCGk~$(KGrHqUH-DEErQMhy7+dBK1NYcpM8g~~_35.jpg


They're really cool for parts. I think I'll make little bobber logging cabooses out of the cabs. :)

Wierd, I know I sold 2 of them on here for $2. Thought it was you. Nevermind then. lol
 
a cut down caboose used mostly as a switching platform by local jobs. It's not as big as a regular one, because the crew doesnt need all that space like they would have on the road. Many transfer cabooses survive today as shoving platforms...

bn11474.jpg


Disclaimer: borrowed from northeast.railfan.net.

This particular one looks like it used to be a switcher??!!
 
indeed, it WAS a switcher at on point:

For some 23 years this unique caboose traveled the rails of firstly the Great Northern and finally the Burlington Northern in and around Vancouver. In 1964 the Great Northern constructed four transfer cabooses in their shops at St Cloud Minnesota. utilizing the frame and trucks of retired Baldwin model VO-1000 yard switchers. A 15 foot long steel cabin was placed at the mid point of the engine frame with the remainder of the frame covered with steel grating.

Found at: http://www.wcra.org/features/BNCaboose.htm
 
Thanks, V... :)

That's a neat idea. I really like the old version with the stovepipe.

X180.jpg


Greg

(edit) This inspired me to start working on my own transfer caboose...

IMG_4151.png


...and even a mini transfer caboose... ;)

IMG_4154.png


IMG_4157.png
 
Last edited by a moderator:






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top