Jerome's Switcher Roster

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
It's here!

img0995wq.jpg


As I suspected, it is an Athearn RTR shell on a Blue Box drive that was modified by the previous owner. The drive runs OK and I will be able to clean it up and install a decoder into it. There are no lights, so I'll have to think of a solution for that later.

Theres no interior for the cab, but I can probably either find one or do without one.

img0997p.jpg


It looks like it has a double-clip on top making the modifications easy to undo (top clip is corroded way beyond salvage) and will help when I install a decoder. (If all else fails I have a few spare clips from when I scrapped an SD40-2)

img0998v.jpg


The guy offered this as a Norfolk Southern engine on ebay, but in reality, it is the Southern Railway (pre-NS) version (it even says so on the box!). (There have been four River Street Ramblers) but for $40 it wasn't a bad deal at all.

Since I model the present day Norfolk Southern, this shell will most likely get stripped and painted for the current horsehead paint scheme (unless someone wants to trade shells!)
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Jerome, do you install DCC at all into your locos? I will be installing DCC in the SW1500 on saturday and I was wondering what kind of decoder you used (if you use them). The chassis is a blue box so it doesn't have all of the room that the RTR drive does.

I was thinking of using a DZ123 (1 amp, 2 amps peak) since it's small and I have to wire it in anyway. I'll leave the bulbs out (tape the leads to the shell) until I get some micro-connectors for them.
 
Hmm, the N13SRPs are rated at 1 amp, 1.25 amps peak, which is relatively low tolerance, so I guess the DZ123 will work out just fine. (The DZ123 is less expensive and fits my needs; $15.99 at the LHS)

I have one (soon to be two) "locomotive" (Bachmann Spectrum Ballast Tamper) with a DZ123 installed in it. The P&W #150 will have a DZ123 installed in it as well
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Without wishing to hijack the thread completely - A big "+1" on the DZ123.

It's tiny, handles (pretty much) any current demand and (despite my bad luck with one recently) they work well and are recognized by JMRI.

FWIW, even the miniatronics 3 pin connector is pretty big! I just hard wire the lights with enough slack to remove the shell. I did think about using the 4pin version on the GE44 tonner, but that doubles the # of soldered connections and just seemed like a lot of work for little return....

As always, just my 02c,
Cheers,
Ian
 
Hmm, the N13SRPs are rated at 1 amp, 1.25 amps peak, which is relatively low tolerance, so I guess the DZ123 will work out just fine. (The DZ123 is less expensive and fits my needs; $15.99 at the LHS)

I have one (soon to be two) "locomotive" (Bachmann Spectrum Ballast Tamper) with a DZ123 installed in it. The P&W #150 will have a DZ123 installed in it as well

Actually I use D13SR's they are 1.3A (2.0A)peak
 


D13SRs fit inside a SW1500? Actually, due to their thin profile, I would expect them to.

I might just get one of those instead.

Mark, where do you get your micro-connectors? I am going to see if my LHS has any tomorrow (doubtful). If all else fails, I can take a long walk down to TrainTek to pick these up:

http://www.traintekllc.com/Soundtraxx-810058-Micro-Mini-Connectors-10pcs/productinfo/STX-810058/

but if theres a place to get more of them and/or less expensive, then that would be great.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just make my own from 8 pin IC sockets. I cut them in half and make a 4 pin plug. for the Athearn switchers I mount the decoder into the shell with all lights and then make a plug for the 2 power and 2 motor wires.


D13SRs fit inside a SW1500? Actually, due to their thin profile, I would expect them to.

I might just get one of those instead.

Mark, where do you get your micro-connectors? I am going to see if my LHS has any tomorrow (doubtful). If all else fails, I can take a long walk down to TrainTek to pick these up:

http://www.traintekllc.com/Soundtraxx-810058-Micro-Mini-Connectors-10pcs/productinfo/STX-810058/

but if theres a place to get more of them and/or less expensive, then that would be great.
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top