ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Nice work Jerome, looks great. I have noticed you using the green magnet wire now for your lighting. What gauge is that wire and are you getting it off of Ebay?
How do you prevent solder bridges and destroying the LED with heat? (the resistors I got are much larger and can stand up to soldering iron heat for 10 seconds)
Check Radio Shack, or if you're on the West Coast, and have one near by, Fry's Electronics. They carry 30 & 32 magnet wire on spools, much cheaper then you'll get it else where. I got my 50' roll for $3.99.
How do you prevent solder bridges and destroying the LED with heat? (the resistors I got are much larger and can stand up to soldering iron heat for 10 seconds)
Thanks for the magnet wire links guys. Eric, are you using flux on the parts you are soldering? If not try using liquid flux brushed on the contact of the LED and the wire. Flux allows the solder to flow onto the two parts allot quicker than without, not to mention, it cleans both surfaces of oxidation which also hampers the flow of solder. Sound like you are just over heating the LEDS.
With flux on the two parts try putting a very small amount of solder on the tip of the iron (Which is normally the opposite of the norm when soldering) then touch it to the LED with the flux on it. There should be enough solder on the tip to flow to the metal contact in half the time it would take without flux.
There is a good video at this link even though they are board soldering the principle is the same. I hold the LED in an alligator clip with the contacts facing me by the way. Tape like Jerome mentioned also works nicely.
Thanks! I will be stopping by Micro Center today (Tuesday) on my way home to pick up a flux pen (it was either that or a tin of paste at Radio Shack. From what I have seen the liquid type works better than the paste)
The NGineering resistors should arrive sometime this week although NGineering's site is by no means state of the art. I submitted my order, and they emailed me a receipt with my total but not an itemized receipt. I don't even know if they will send me an email when they ship/mail out the resistors.