Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. M

    Decoder Pro Setup?

    I would love to use Decoder Pro to tune my engines, I have the program on my laptop. I need to figure out how to interface with the track in ops mode. I have a digitrax command station. I think I would need the Digitrax PR3 to make it work? Otherwise would getting a Sprog II also work for...
  2. M

    Opinions on Bachmann Spectrum?

    I think the newer Bachmann Stuff is pretty decent, the decoders included are horrible if its DCC equipped, take it out and put something good in and you'll be much happier. Had a few engines that would be cranked up to 50-60 on the digitrax controller and would slow to a crawl on hills with a...
  3. M

    Proto 2000 2-8-4 - Cracked driver gears and axles

    Hi Folks, I have a Proto 2000 berkshire, from the 2nd run with "normal" looking drivers on it. It no longer runs as all the plastic axles have cracked, along with the driven axle. I am not sure what I can do to fix them. Does anyone else have this issue and what did you do to fix it? I...
  4. M

    TCS WOW Steam - lost address

    That is my problem - I cant figure out how to reset it.
  5. M

    TCS WOW Steam - lost address

    Hello All, I put my WOW Steam Decoder into a new engine the other day, and it worked great. I went to update the address using OPS mode on the mainline and decoder now does not respond to any addresses. Went from address 1218 to 1901. I cant find instructions on how to recover a lost address...
  6. M

    TCS Wow Sound Steam

    Here are the CV's to quiet the chuff if everything else is not working. CV 201- 4 CV 202- 15 CV 203 - 0 CV 204 - a number between 0-8. 0 is loud, 8 is quiet.
  7. M

    TCS Wow Sound Steam

    I'll look for them tonight when I am home.
  8. M

    TCS Wow Sound Steam

    I thought I would share that I bought one of these Steam Decoders from TCS a week ago - I am very impressed with it. I have a mix of QSI and Tsunami Decoders in my steam engines right now, and I really enjoy running the TCS a lot more - the prototypical performance is kind of fun (applying the...
  9. M

    Loksound or Tsunami sound for ALCO RS3

    Hello All, Considering attempting to convert my Atlas RS3 to Sound. Not a lot of room in that shell, so kind of scared of the idea, but I know it can be done. Ive done a lot of listening on Youtube to both the Loksound and Tsunami sounds, they are pretty close from what I can tell...
  10. M

    Athearn P42s are junk.

    Is your Bachmann controller a dcc or dc controller? I know they include one or the other depending on the set you buy. DCC controller will cook DC components.
  11. M

    How do I remove the boiler/shell on BLI 2-10-4

    I just tried setting CV10 to 0 and it got a lot worse, not better. When i got over speed 40 on my digitrax controller you can really see it surging, over 60 its really bad. I set CV10 back to 1 and it got better, but I can still see some surging. Wonder if its something in drivetrain.
  12. M

    How do I remove the boiler/shell on BLI 2-10-4

    Hello All, I have a Broadway Limited 2-10-4 (Paragon 2) which I would like to remove the boiler / shell from so I can service the drive. The loco runs "funny" - instead of smooth operation is seems to have a small surging motion when at a medium speed. I took the drive wheels loose so I could...
  13. M

    steam loco (which one?)

    I'd look for a BLI 2-8-2 - pretty sweet running little loco and it will run on DC or DCC I believe and has sound. I have one and love it, nice engine. Otherwise I hear good things about the Bachmann 2-8-0's.
  14. M

    P2K Berkshire problems

    Sounds like its going to cost a lot of money for Walthers to replace the decoder at $120 plus $45/hour for 4-7 hours (which seems high). I would say try to buy and replace the chip on your own if possible.
  15. M

    P2K Berkshire problems

    The proto berkshires with sound all had QSI Sound from the factory. They have not made any runs of this locomotive since they switched to Soundtraxx sound. I actually like the QSI steam sound, but dislike their diesel sound. Either way, they wont cover this for sure if you bought it 2nd hand...
  16. M

    How do you handle bug control in the basement?

    Hey All, My basement is invaded by spiders and millipedes all year, but its really bad in the summer. How do you guys deal with these pests? Or do you just ignore them? I am in the midwest, so the winter usually kills most of them off, but they come back in force in the spring. Spiders...
  17. M

    Athearn/Horizon Hobby is Squeezing the Life out of Brick & Mortar

    Just so you know, I'm not big fan of Horizon here, I don't like a lot of the changes they have made and how they dropped the blue box line. I hardly have bought anything from them since that time (except for one Genesis GP9, which really doesnt run all that great for the price I paid). But...
  18. M

    Athearn/Horizon Hobby is Squeezing the Life out of Brick & Mortar

    There is probably more to this story - if he was a sole proprietorship before he had a personal guaranty (without actually having signed one) with Horizon, as everything was in his name. By going to an LLC that does not exclude you from signing a personal guaranty, and it is probably warranted...
  19. M

    The Allegheny Pere Marquette Excursion Train

    I think that 18" radius is too small for this loco, its really long. The wheels will pivots quite a bit, but I think the overall length of the engine would be an issue. I may work on 22-24" radius. I run mine on 30"
  20. M

    The Allegheny Pere Marquette Excursion Train

    I have one of the Rivarossi Alleghenies, love it. I dont think there are any durability issues as mine has been run quite a bit without problem. They can pull quite a bit, but not as much as my BLI C&O 2-10-4 (its a brick). Also I havent tried putting sound it yet, the decoder is in the...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top