The Allegheny Pere Marquette Excursion Train

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Motley

Active Member
I just got my new Rivorossi Allegheny today. This thing is sweeeeeeeet!
I also picked up 9 cars from Walthers Pere Marquette series.

P1000111.JPG


P1000098.jpg


P1000104.JPG


P1000105.jpg


P1000106.JPG


P1000107.jpg


P1000123.JPG


P1000115.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Motley:

Very beautiful loco and cars. Excellent backdrop too.

I don't have a Rivarossi loco - does this one run real smooth at slow speeds?

DougC
 


The eccentric cranks on these locos are plastic. Meaning that if something happens, and they get jambed, they can break. I found that out when I was sent 2 of these locos to repair, along with another to use as a parts source.

They just don't seem to be very durable, at all.

Don't take this as a criticism, but I think that I'll keep my brass one, and not add a Rivarossi to the fleet.
 
sweet the Allegheny/rockies route :P

I was waiting for you to respond. You've turned me into a big steamhead now.

The C&O Steam Preservation program, just unleashed the Allegheny and will be touring this summer all over the US. Make sure you catch it in Florida.
 


I have one of the Rivarossi Alleghenies, love it. I dont think there are any durability issues as mine has been run quite a bit without problem. They can pull quite a bit, but not as much as my BLI C&O 2-10-4 (its a brick). Also I havent tried putting sound it yet, the decoder is in the locomotive, not the tender, so I am unsure of how to tackle that since I want speakers in the Tender and there doesnt look like there is enough room for a TSU-1000 in the loco.
 
What are your minimum curves sizes? I'm a bit afraid of buying one and the having trouble on curves. I have one area that uses 18" radius curves on my layout.
 
I think that 18" radius is too small for this loco, its really long. The wheels will pivots quite a bit, but I think the overall length of the engine would be an issue. I may work on 22-24" radius. I run mine on 30"
 
Thanks Switchman. I think I'll avoid that purchase. I'm trying to go big but 30" would only fit in a few places. It's too bad, I really want one of those. I have a 4-2-0 and a 2-6-0 that can handle the small curves but I'm going to take another look at my new design and see if I can at least make the outter loop conform to 30" or at leat 24".
 
The bigger the radii on the layout the better. There are many modern cars, not just passenger cars, that won't go around anything less than 24.
 
I have one of the Rivarossi Alleghenies, love it. I dont think there are any durability issues as mine has been run quite a bit without problem. They can pull quite a bit, but not as much as my BLI C&O 2-10-4 (its a brick). Also I havent tried putting sound it yet, the decoder is in the locomotive, not the tender, so I am unsure of how to tackle that since I
want speakers in the Tender and there doesnt look like there is enough room for a TSU-1000 in the loco.


There should be no problem putting a Tsunami decoder and hi bass speaker in the tender though you'll need to take out the board in the engine. I was lucky in that my Allegheny is one of the late ones with the board in the tender also my tender was factoy set for DCC & sound so installing a Tsunami was a snap.
I would recommend that anyone wanting a sound equipped Allegheny search for the latest non sound issue of this model if at all possible and a use quality sound decoder as opposed to the factory sound decoder which is quite tinny and does not have the correct Nathan single chime whistle (hooter) as the N&W 1218 one in the Tsunami.
 
I would recommend that anyone wanting a sound equipped Allegheny search for the latest non sound issue of this model if at all possible and a use quality sound decoder as opposed to the factory sound decoder which is quite tinny and does not have the correct Nathan single chime whistle (hooter) as the N&W 1218 one in the Tsunami.

Come again? Mine has the Loksound v4 decoder in it. And it sounds really good, it is not tinny at all. The motor controls are far better than the tsunami.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top