P2K Berkshire problems

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


So I have 2 P2K berks, one with sound and the other without. When I got the sound equipped one out (nkp 772) it would not run, then it would run, but the momentum setting that comes with the sound was gone, the main headlight would not work, and the mars light was on but would not blink. It won't run in reverse either.The sound if funny with it too. If anyone has had experiences with this I would gladly appreciate a comment. So for the time being I guess 611 will have to fill in. Thanks
 


I tried resetting it again, and the inside of the tender started smoking, I took the tender shell off, and to the side of the second sound module (the one closest to the coupler) it would turn orange, and smoke. So i'm thinking about calling or sending it back to walthers.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I tried resetting it again, and the inside of the tender started smoking, i'm thinking about calling or sending it back to walthers.
Don't think, send it back. Smoking is a dead short, and in a decoder, much less a sound decoder, that is the kiss of death.
 
Thanks so much, I didn't know what to do, does walthers charge a fee?

You will probably have to pay shipping to Walthers.
Did you get it direct from them, or from a dealer or hobby shop? If you got it from your local hobby shop, I would return it to them.
 


Was it new when you bought it? Does the antique store sell model trains?
Or was it an "estate sale"? If it was the latter, you are on your own.
 
I bought it from a lady at the antique store, she brought in other stuff, that at that time worked great. (sigh) I guess I'm on my own, what are walthers service fees?
 
It looks like it is going to cost to more to repair it than it is worth, what might be a good price to sell it for as a parts engine?
 
A new sound decoder is less than a hundred bucks. If that is too much, a motor only decoder is less than twenty.
If that is too much, shoot me a PM with how much you want for it.
 
open the tender (easier than you may think, look at the decoder , I think it may be soundtraxx. contact walthers whats installed, see if they will warranty repair, otherwise contact soundtraxx for a warranty repair.
 
open the tender (easier than you may think, look at the decoder , I think it may be soundtraxx. contact walthers whats installed, see if they will warranty repair, otherwise contact soundtraxx for a warranty repair.

Soundtraxx has a 90 day warranty on their sound decoders. They may or may not make an exception.
 


The proto berkshires with sound all had QSI Sound from the factory. They have not made any runs of this locomotive since they switched to Soundtraxx sound. I actually like the QSI steam sound, but dislike their diesel sound. Either way, they wont cover this for sure if you bought it 2nd hand. I would say a service call will be more than you want to pay, but you should find out for sure. A new Soundtraxx, loksound or QSI decoder will be around $100-120 if you install it yourself. Get a Heavy Steam decoder.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top