Your Favorite Scale

Your Favorite Scale

• Total voters
Welcome to the forums, CPRAC4400! Please tell us more about your layout --- era, equpment, etc. We always enjoy hearing about what others are modeling. We enjoy pictures, too. *hint hint* :)

I like ho because there are alot of stuff avaible. The only thing that I regret is that I didn't model in the 40's and 50's, I am doing present day and I see there is lot more stuff aviable to model the 40's and 50's. The buildings, there is not that many modern, seems pike stuff makes one style, but in different variations.
I see in the newer industrial parks different styles of modern buildings. I live in an area where there is alot of new warehouses are being built, and alot of things to model after.
I may some day do a small n layout of shelf type.

Here a few more basic infos about my Great Western & Atlantic RR
I use MDC Roundhouse Stuff mostly as Rolling Stock, but sometimes from german manufacturers, too like Brawa, Fleischmann, Roco/Atlas (Austria), Liliput-Bachmann Ltd., and finally Trix International and Lima/Italy.
I use Peco Code 75 Streamline Track with Elektrofrog Turnouts, Signalling Equipment are from Viessmann, so I use prussian Distant Semaphores and Bavarian Home and Start Signals in combination like british Signals rules, some of british Semaphores, them I get from Ratio Plastics needed to be motorisised with Voelkner slow Motion Signal Drive Unit and Bi Colour LED's will be used for the lighting of the signal aspects.
I scratchbuild my own Way directed Signal Rules like in Great Britain.
I do model the 1930's around the year of 1932.
Interrior details I get mostly from Preiser, SS Ltd./GB, Langley Models/GB, Busch and Faller and Conrad.
The Liberty-Oil % Coal-Lumber RR my Narrow Gauge of 9mm in H0n30 (00-9 or H0e) uses track from Peco or Roco/Atlas Narrowgauge Field RR Track with irrefular layed Ties. The Rolling Stock exspecially the both Shays are from Keystone with H0n30 Drive Unit from NWSL, the 0-6-0t Switching Locos from Roco/Austria, some wagons are from Peco and some other british manufacturers and from Roco, too.
One Chivers Finescale 2-6-2 Praire ordered yet and two of their Oldtime Combines and one full Passenger car. The Freight Cars (Boxcar Style) looking like these from Germany before WWII with Breakmancab onto the one open Platform.
In H0n30 I use the typical Bolt and Pin Couplers (Bosna middle Buffer Coupler like the oldtime Link & Pin Couplers) from an Austrian Manufacturer.
Ingo

Well now, ive modeled in HO then N and now On30.
They are all good and have thier strengths and weaknesses with HO probobly having the least amount of weaknesses due to popularity over the years.
I have yet to try G scale but do own 1 piece of equipment(it sits there staring at me taunting me, daring me to go buy some track to lay in the garden lol ) Its a GN caboose by Aristo in 1:29 (does that make it F scale nowdays??? )
On30 is interesting and easier on these midlle aged eyes.
My first loco is a Broadway Limited C-16 with quantum sound.A very nice engine at a reasonable price when its on sale.270.00 MSRP and I picked mine up for 130.00 including shipping through a coupon special at standard hobby supply.
I am looking very hard at the new climax from Bachmann as its a bit differant than all of the shays and porters seen typically in this gauge.A Porter will work my Dock area after some major kitbashing.Likely it will be a Grandt Line Porter rather than a Bachmann due to ease of maintenance.
Which will be first?? depends on which goes on sale at a good price i guess ;)
On30 is a great choice for a late 19th early 20th century narrow gauge rr,logging road or industrial shortline.Scrathbuilding in 1/4 scale is a real joy and while you cant throw away your tweasers just yet, you will not need your magnifying glasses near as often. :D
I have never modeled in S but have a friend who models Sn3.This is a nice scale but costs are quite a bit higher for equipment as everything is Brass at this point.PBL has some very nice stuff out there for this scale and if you have the bucks,you'll be hard pressed to find better looking equipment right from the factory

Now, if only On30 had a Mason Bogie available I'd be happy to stay in On30 for the next few lifetimes ;)

I wish there was a scale some where between HO and N. Something like 1:120. This would allow a little more scenery, but the trains would not be so small.

Bill

B_Kosanda said:
I wish there was a scale some where between HO and N. Something like 1:120. This would allow a little more scenery, but the trains would not be so small.

Bill
Isn't TT scale somewhere in that range? Or is it just wishfull thinking on my part... :confused:

Personaly, I would take HO, because it is in that middle range,that is HO isn't too big (like O gauge ) or too small (like N scale). Also the prices tend to get a little high if you start getting larger or smaller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting question. It would be fun to know if people are modeling in a scale that's NOT their favorite. For example, my first choice would be HO because there's so much one can do in a small space, and it's possible to do so at relatively little cost. But I've gone into G Scale because I can't see or handle the small stuff anymore. Others might have different preferences for different reasons that would be interesting to the rest of us.

Why don't you turn this thread into a Poll? You can do that by clicking on Thread Tools just above your original post.
I would love to do N scale but to heavily invested into HO Phil

Hi,Everyone
Just asking. Whats your favorite scale?
Oh. I like really old threads that are still relevant coming back to the top.

Unlike other "what is your favorite" type threads this one is easy. The scale of 12" to 1' is my favorite. Unfortunately it is too expensive for me.

Ho is my favorite but I have been caught painting N locomotives or scratchbuilding in O. :D

Guess I'm just a **** that way!:rolleyes:

On30 is the scale for me. Love my lil critters. Here's 1 next to an HO 44 Tonner. This one built on a Bachmann 45 tonner chassis.

All Hello!
When I started collecting model (correct to say my Dad bought me) It was in the mid 70's.
While we have only sold a model of the GDR (East Germany). Mastabas were presented - HO, TT. N. Much has been 1:87. Others were not enough.
Dad told me that if would have been so well represented by TT then we would have a collector;-)
Now my son and I collect 1:87. One model in a country house - there are so many places;-) And the other one at home in Moscow. Our apartment is 82 sq / m There is a place for a home layout. But he was not great.

When we want to "drive" the models we are going to our club modelers, and there is a great layout;-)

There are plans to build a country house outside the scale of G.
At home in Moscow to start collecting HOe and N.
But this dream ... And as they say - is not harmful to dream;-)

p.s. hey tell me - which give money?

Back