Ye Ole Coffee Shoppe XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
What ever happen to....."Behind the wood shed Beating's?" To this day it's the happest time of my youth! I knew even as a kid, "My parents loved me enough to Kick my ass when I needed it!" I still got in trouble but there were certin line's....... I WOULDN"T CROSS, Thats why I still have all my Teeth!

Good morning folks

It was 54 F this bright morning. High will be 79 F.

Yesterday was one of those days. My wife was taking her father to the VA for his doctor appointment. On the way there she called me saying her car was not accelerating and making a high pitch sound. I told to her to pull off in a shopping center parking lot. She checked the car over and could find nothing, so she continued. The car was running better. About 20 minutes later she heard a loud noise and the power steering went out. She pulled the car over and called Roadside Assistance and me. I headed down to her and we found that the multi-purpose belt was not moving and it looked like something was wrong with one of the pulleys. The tow truck came and took the car to the shop.

We went to lunch and since it was one of those days they screwed up our meal and gave us someone else’s meal and our meal to someone else. The other table ate half of our meal before they realized it was the wrong one. Needless to say we never got our correct meal because the manager said that it was our fault because we did say right away that it was wrong. How could we. The server sat the food down in front of us and disappeared. No one checked on us for a good five minutes. I had to track down the hostess to finally get someone to complain to.

Back to my wife’s car. We got a call from the shop that the idler pulley came apart and that was the problem. They told us that there was an outside chance that the car would be done last night. Just before we were to leave for scouts the shop called and the car was done. We went down and picked it up. The total cost was $179.00. On the way home I noticed that the left side of the road was darker than normal. The driver’s side headlight in the van burned out! So now I have to get that replaced. Another thing with my wife’s car. She had a rattle in the engine for a while now and no one had been able to find it. Now that the idler pulley has been replaced the rattle is gone.

Tonight my daughter has volleyball practice.

I hope everybody has a good day.

What ever happen to....."Behind the wood shed Beating's?" To this day it's the happest time of my youth! I knew even as a kid, "My parents loved me enough to Kick my ass when I needed it!" I still got in trouble but there were certin line's....... I WOULDN"T CROSS, Thats why I still have all my Teeth!

Yep--BTDT---all us kids would get a lickin' but we still knew enough that we cross those lines a certain kind of DOOM would befall us! Then again, all mom had to do was give us'uns THE LOOK and we quietly would bid a hasty retreat into our rooms, boy!:eek::eek:

------------------------------------------------------

Good Morning--

We be sunny and warm today --- and I'm rebuilding another industry that my cat headbutted off the layout---lol!:eek::rolleyes:

So---have a good one ppl:):):)

Nothing wrong with a good 'woodshed beating' in my opinion. I got my share of them. My parent's home didn't have a woodshed when we moved there in 1970 but my father wasted no time in building one. It never held a stick of wood but it still saw a great amount of use.

Good morning. It's 74 and mostly cloudy. The high is expected to be 89 and there's a 20% chance of rain.

The visit to my primary physician went well yesterday. Got back home and went down and mowed the parent's yard. I then had a sugar crash that left me pretty well wiped out the rest of the day, so naturally I didn't feel like doing much. The scrap yard hasn't been able to find a gas tank that will fit under my van so now I'm looking for one that's a squarish/rectangular shape with a flat bottom that can be mounted inside the rear of the vehicle. It doesn't matter if it's made to take an internal pump or not so that should be relatively easy for them to find. If I have to I'll go and find it myself. As for a steering column I've been giving thought to getting one from a newer model Ram van that I can adapt to mine. Though the end of the shaft would be different there's no reason the end of the old shaft can't be cut off and welded onto the newer one at the required distance. It wouldn't be the first time I've made a shotgun marriage of auto parts. A Pontiac Sunbird I had was refitted with a Mazda tranny and cut and welded drive axle and it worked just fine. Got some strange looks from a few mechanics but as I said, it worked, and that's all that counted. It'll be the same in this case. I'll be doing a scrap yard rebuild but if it works it doesn't much matter what it looks like.

What ever happen to....."Behind the wood shed Beating's?" To this day it's the happest time of my youth!

Hmmm! you wouldn't be one of those masochist people per chance? :D:D

In any case you're too old for it now :D

another warm day here
Cheers
Willis

Jeffery, try looking for a tank from like vintage Mopar station wagon. They may be too large but if I'm thinking correctly, Chrysler only used two different fuel tanks for full size passenger vehicles around that time, a 22g and a 26g. At least the fuel tank would be able to be out of the passenger compartment. There's a reason the government mandated fuel tanks be placed outside the vehicle. I fear for your safety, unless of course you have a Nomex fire rated suit and even then, things get HOT inside.

Had my share of "thumpin's" in my youth. I always laughed at the saying, "This is gonna hurt me worse than it's gonna hurt you." Why, in God's Creation, would you wish to inflict pain upon yourself? Yeh, the lickin's gonna hurt the recipient, but why would the "giver" want to feel pain too? Never figgered that out.

Bob

Bob

Had my share of "thumpin's" in my youth. I always laughed at the saying, "This is gonna hurt me worse than it's gonna hurt you." Why, in God's Creation, would you wish to inflict pain upon yourself? Yeh, the lickin's gonna hurt the recipient, but why would the "giver" want to feel pain too? Never figgered that out.

Bob

Bob

Never made sense to me either,til I had kids of my own.;)

Sandy - Yah it really throws you when you go down town for the Alamo. not remote and as big as the John Wayne move. Then cross the street and down the steps to the river walk. Did you walk west to the street markets?

Until we had a kid, I could under stand why Animals would eat their own Young?:confused: Now I know why animals eat their young!;)

What DCF calls child abuse today, ALL of our parents would be in jail today:eek:!

God, I remember the paddle in School!:eek: It wasn't the beating that hurt you, it was the fact the whole school knew you got hit...... that's what hurt the most!:D;) Now, the school calls the cops and your kid is quietly and with out a scene hauled off! My son was returning from the Nurse's office and witnessed a 12 year old get hauled off for dealing drugs. They called him out of class and quietly handcuffed in the hall where the rest of the kids couldn't see. JMO the whole school should have witnessed the kid getting Handcuffed, stuffed in the sqad car and hauled off!:mad:

Willis, what I ment about happy........I knew if my parents didn't crack down on me, it ment they stoped carring! I didn't like the beatings but, hay at least I'm not behind bars like kids I knew that were let to do what ever!

This is the Mighty Oak which keeps Ryan following the right path! We (Him and I) made it in 07 and I only had to use it 3 times:rolleyes: Live and learn:rolleyes:

God, I remember the paddle in School!:eek: It wasn't the beating that hurt you, it was the fact the whole school knew you got hit...... that's what hurt the most!:D;) Now, the school calls the cops and your kid is quietly and with out a scene hauled off! My son was returning from the Nurse's office and witnessed a 12 year old get hauled off for dealing drugs. They called him out of class and quietly handcuffed in the hall where the rest of the kids couldn't see. JMO the whole school should have witnessed the kid getting Handcuffed, stuffed in the sqad car and hauled off!:mad:
Here they're discussing bringing school paddling back and it's getting a lot of support. Me? I'm all for it. Kids get away with WAY too much in school these days. In my school years the teacher was someone to be respected and feared and a disciplinary trip to the principals office was a terror best avoided.

SUCCESS!! I found a gas tank today for $30. It's an 18 to 20 gallon boxlike affair that came off of what my father likes to call an 'I Sues You' (Isuzu) utility truck. It was made for diesel but after a flushing out with kerosene and final washout with 90% alcohol it should work just great with gasoline. I'll need to make a top plate to cover the hole where the fuel pump was but that's a minor detail. A cap covered over with marine epoxy should be good enough. Before that however I'll have to attach a tube inside that will go all the way to the bottom to serve as a suction line for the vans engine mounted fuel pump. I can use one of the two breather lines on the tank as the fuel return line and the other breather line will be used for what it was made for, a breather line. The design of this tank will require that I move the filler nozzle on the van to a higher position, so that will require making a hole for it and filling the old hole in. No great trick to that, just some more metal work. The fun will be constructing the cradle that will hold the tank in place between the rear bench seat and the back doors. The hunt for the steering column goes on.

Willis, what I ment about happy........I knew if my parents didn't crack down on me, it ment they stoped carring! I didn't like the beatings but, hay at least I'm not behind bars like kids I knew that were let to do what ever!
yeah Chris, I knew what you meant, I was just pulling your leg. Actually I was laughing, I believe it was only the girls that got away without a whooping.
Now school, that was different if you didn't get one you were considered a sissy. In grade 8 every day, right after reviewing the homework assignment (which I never did) it was out to the coat room for a dozen or more good licks on the hands. Gee there were times after the strapping I couldn't hold a pencil but no one ever called me a sissy.

Cheers
Willis

My daughter now 35, when she was in third grade came home and told me if I wanted her to do something she didn't want to do, I could not make her. I asked why and she said the teacher told the class to call 911. She is a teacher today and payback is a *****.

My daughter now 35, when she was in third grade came home and told me if I wanted her to do something she didn't want to do, I could not make her. I asked why and she said the teacher told the class to call 911. She is a teacher today and payback is a *****.

My son did that too, we packed his bag and kicked him out! told him to take himself to grand ma's to live! He stood on the front sidewalk for about 60 minutes in complete disbelief that we did that! and in the mean time he kept looking at the house with, "A what hell do I do now?" look on his face.....then He walked back to the door and said he was sorry and he has never threatend us again! BTW he was 5 at the time!:D

My son did that too, we packed his bag and kicked him out! told him to take himself to grand ma's to live! He stood on the front sidewalk for about 60 minutes in complete disbelief that we did that! and in the mean time he kept looking at the house with, "A what hell do I do now?" look on his face.....then He walked back to the door and said he was sorry and he has never threatend us again! BTW he was 5 at the time!:D
Yep! Teach 'em while they're young. My parents didn't threaten to send me to my grandparents. They took me there (250 miles) and left me there. I learned a lot of Native American customs while I was there too. How young was I then? My grandfather took me through the Cherokee rite of passage to manhood when I was 12 and I had been dropped there the previous year. I periodically went home for holidays and such. I went back home to stay when I was 13. My grandfather died the next year. I didn't realize how close we were until that time. You don't realize what you have until you lose it. My father and I are now very close, more so than we ever were when I was growing up. I realized later that what he and my mother did when they sent me off was for my good but at the time I hated them for it. My grandparents taught me the error of my ways according to the traditional Indian customs they grew up under. It's a different culture, much more different than our own. As a result I grew up between two cultures and blended the two according to my needs. I don't know what direction my life would have taken if not for my parents action. I was a mean spirited brat with no respect whatsoever for authority. When I came back I had changed completely. My parents reaction was one of 'Who are you and what did you do with our son?'. There are times that the harshest actions get the best results. I'm 50 this year and one of the kindest most understanding people you would ever want to know.

Sandy - Yah it really throws you when you go down town for the Alamo. not remote and as big as the John Wayne move. Then cross the street and down the steps to the river walk. Did you walk west to the street markets?

The size of the Alamo didn't surprise me nearly as much as the location! I was still pretty awed by it. I did want to get into the basement, though. LOL...ever see PeeWee's Big Adventure?

Yup...just across the street to the Riverwalk which I loved. We didn't get to the street markets. We did eat at a cool Mexican restaurant in San Antonio.

I had a great time :D

Anybody hear from Rex? I just saw on the Weather Channel that some pretty nasty storms hit Tuscaloosa this afternoon and did quite a bit of damage. Hope he's ok!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back